Women in Flat Earth Movement
« on: November 02, 2017, 03:26:11 PM »
Hey there,
I was wondering what people's thoughts were about the fact that there don't seem to be many women active within the flat earth movement. Do you think there is a reason for this, and how would you seek to rectify it? :)

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
Re: Women in Flat Earth Movement
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:47:36 PM »

Devils advocaat, hits on them.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 05:12:36 PM »
Moving this to FEG since it isn't really a FE question, more of a cultural one.

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 12:43:47 AM »
There are plenty of women involved in FET, some are vocal, some are not.
If you have a look at the various meet ups and read the youtube comments you will find its quite high.
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 01:07:13 AM »
Hey there,
I was wondering what people's thoughts were about the fact that there don't seem to be many women active within the flat earth movement. Do you think there is a reason for this, and how would you seek to rectify it? :)
Hello and Welcome to FES!

Oh contrare monfrare! Im unshore abowt the actuel demagrafics of the curint Flat Earth movmint, but won of the earlyist and most importint modern Flat Earthers was a woman, Lady Elizabeth Blount, who fowndid the Universul Zetetic Society after Rowbothams deth and evan editid a jornul of the society cald "Earth: a Monthley Magizine of Sense and Science". Also, Charles K. Johnsons (who was presidint of FES from 1971-2001) wife Marjorey survd as the societys Secratarey and cuntributid much to "Flat Earth News". As to how many woman are part of this forum I no not, but the othur FES has a woman, Space Cowgirl, surving as a mod and I beleive ive seen many othur female posturs thruowt my time here in FES. All becuz theres a posibilitey that these fora are made up of mostley men dosint mene there arent plentey of othur female FErs owt there who dont use the forums, or that FES is any way unacomadateing of woman (are historey proofs qwite the contrarey!)!
There are plenty of women involved in FET, some are vocal, some are not.
If you have a look at the various meet ups and read the youtube comments you will find its quite high.
Truley inded! Thank you Dither
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 08:01:47 AM »
Great answer EJ.

Charles and Majorey were real FE heros, very sad and suspicious how their house burnt down.

I know we have a few ladies on this forum but if a person doesn't specify if they are male or female when they sign up, then I guess they may not want everyone to know. This is a public forum and its a tad controversial as well, so not everybody wants to be identified and I can't blame them for thinking that way.
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

devils advocate

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 09:30:03 AM »

Devils advocaat, hits on them.

Flat Earthers can't talk to girls, that's why they're here...........

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 09:47:38 AM »
They are less vocal online (though gender disparities are often observed online - even Wikipedia's editors are overwhelmingly male), but they certainly exist. They just do things differently from us. Cyndi Holland and Sarah Capwell immediately spring to mine as notable figures.

They've recently attracted some attention from mainstream press (negatively slanted, of course, but what else can you expect from MSM?)

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/14/meet-the-mums-who-believe-the-earth-is-actually-flat-not-round-6851709/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4779282/Mothers-sucked-Flat-Earth-Female-movement.html

The Twitterplane of the FE movement also has a fair few women in it. Some of my favourite Twitter users include:

https://twitter.com/Its_Stationary
https://twitter.com/weatherston49
https://twitter.com/hollyhaygood

As for rectifying it: personally, I don't immediately view it as a problem. Everyone should do what they feel comfortable doing, and if female FE'ers don't want to post here, that's fine by me. Perhaps there are some cultural barriers to entry from some groups, but if there are, I'd likely be part of that culture. It's very hard to see past one's own biases.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:55:47 AM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

devils advocate

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 10:32:18 AM »
(negatively slanted, of course, but what else can you expect from MSM?)

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/14/meet-the-mums-who-believe-the-earth-is-actually-flat-not-round-6851709/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4779282/Mothers-sucked-Flat-Earth-Female-movement.html

Hi Pete, interesting articles, in what way do you read them as negatively slanted though? To me they were written quite fairly, they didn't insult the women or belittle their beliefs, call them crazy or anything like that. I think that as a member of such a controversial group that basically refutes some of the widest held "facts" about our world you would have to expect any media to portray you guys as such. I'm sure the media would take you a lot more seriously if you could explain some of the burning questions we have about FE theory. I won't divert this thread with them but a quick glance over the forums reveals a lot of people waiting for answers and so far only Tom is even trying to answer us.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
Hi Pete, interesting articles, in what way do you read them as negatively slanted though?
They use subtle emotionally-charged language which, while not immediately insulting, sets a negative tone in my mind. Phrases like "being sucked in[to a movement]", "funny ideas", or "That’s going to make dinner table conversation quite awkward." They don't add anything to the articles' content. They're only there to push a viewpoint. It stops just short of calling them "crazy", but makes it abundantly clear to the reader that this is how they should read it.

Naturally, I wouldn't expect for it to be presented as uncontroversial (that would be undue bias in favour of FET), but the current state of affairs is sloppy, to say the least.

devils advocate

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 10:58:08 AM »
Re-read with your comments in mind. I see your point but it is very subtle.

How long have you been a flat earther for? I have only been delving into this idea for a few months now and already when I see the (newer) Newbies questions I feel like, huuuh that's such an old question! So I guess it's easy to forget just how CRAZY the concept of the earth being flat is when you hear it for the first time and all articles written about it are going to come from that stance.

An interesting point I read was the "female flat earthers believe..." (all in pink obviously as ALL women love pink) which seemed to indicate that every WOMAN FE'r has somehow synchronised their beliefs and all all have one view! And they have a map. Maybe Females are just better organised? We could definitely do with some of that here because then we would have the "Flat earth position" - a thread I started that like most is gathering dust.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »
Re-read with your comments in mind. I see your point but it is very subtle.
I would argue that a subtle slant is the most influential. You seed the thought in someone's mind without making it obvious.

How long have you been a flat earther for? I have only been delving into this idea for a few months now and already when I see the (newer) Newbies questions I feel like, huuuh that's such an old question! So I guess it's easy to forget just how CRAZY the concept of the earth being flat is when you hear it for the first time and all articles written about it are going to come from that stance.
I've been active online as a Flat Earther since 2010 or 2011 if memory serves. I know that's not exactly the question you asked, but that's as much as I'm willing to disclose. I'm frequently exposed to just how crazy it comes across, and I understand that (or at least I try to). I just don't think it belongs in journalism, but I'm clearly in the minority on that one.

An interesting point I read was the "female flat earthers believe..." (all in pink obviously as ALL women love pink) which seemed to indicate that every WOMAN FE'r has somehow synchronised their beliefs and all all have one view! And they have a map. Maybe Females are just better organised? We could definitely do with some of that here because then we would have the "Flat earth position" - a thread I started that like most is gathering dust.
I doubt that's actually the case - they most likely listed the beliefs of one group and assumed that it is unified. I've had similar issues with some people who... uh, generously paraphrased things I said to them in interviews. I'll voice my personal view and make it abundantly clear that it may not be representative, but the next day you tune in to the radio it's being presented as what every FE'er and their dog believes.

devils advocate

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 12:20:09 PM »
I doubt that's actually the case - they most likely listed the beliefs of one group and assumed that it is unified. I've had similar issues with some people who... uh, generously paraphrased things I said to them in interviews. I'll voice my personal view and make it abundantly clear that it may not be representative, but the next day you tune in to the radio it's being presented as what every FE'er and their dog believes.

I concur, that's the bit of this article that really wound me up. The presumption that by conversing with 5 women gives you EVERY woman's opinion is far beyond ridiculous!

The article's both talk of the multiple FE groups on FB and other platforms, TBH a Facebook link was what directed me to this site and that was the first time I had encountered FE and the further I delve the more sprouts and offshoots I find. I really wish that "you" could all unite at least to make a coherent voice so there could be; "A flat earth Position".

In your personal experience Pete is this forum the best site for discovering FE or are there other platforms you have seen that might suit my needs better (To find answers to the questions that put FE at odds with RE)

Back to OP it seems that FE'r of all types; (male, female, Prefer not to say) are blinking in the light now, coming out of the shadows and finding their voice, and here was me thinking I'd found a lads club!

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 12:30:13 PM »
In your personal experience Pete is this forum the best site for discovering FE or are there other platforms you have seen that might suit my needs better (To find answers to the questions that put FE at odds with RE)
I'm not in a good position to answer that. Conflict of interest and all that. I'd like to think that we're doing a better job than others, but obviously many will disagree.

Twitter is good since you can subscribe to individuals. I follow many people who think I'm a government agent. I still want to know what they're saying, because I want to make sure I'm up to date on current FE thought in all camps - not just in my own echo chamber :)

Back to OP it seems that FE'r of all types; (male, female, Prefer not to say) are blinking in the light now, coming out of the shadows and finding their voice, and here was me thinking I'd found a lads club!
I wonder how many people who never specified their gender might turn out to be female. Probably not enough to make up for the statistical disparity, but it would be interesting to know. I know I still tend to assume that people online are male unless they told me otherwise. Weird habit, that.

devils advocate

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 10:49:05 PM »
Well according to one member on this forum the one member with a female avatar on here actually sports a penis which puts the sausage factory/fangita party ratio at 100:0.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 09:11:33 AM »
Which puts the sausage factory/fangita party ratio at 100:0.

I know two for sure who are women and active on the forum and I'm sure there's more than that.

If you read back through the old threads you can find things out, nobodies really hiding, but why should they tell us newbies anything (I'm including myself here) when we haven't established any relationships with anyone other than "I say, You say" Some of the members on here have supported the site with more than words and others have a history with the other forum going back to when it split. So yes DA, this isn't just a boys club, there are all ages on here, (I'm 53) young and old, women and men, but yeah, maybe a few more men.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 09:13:42 AM »
Which puts the sausage factory/fangita party ratio at 100:0.

I know 2 for sure are women, and are active on the forum, and I'm sure there's more than that.

If you read back through the old threads you can find things out, nobodies really hiding, but why should they tell us newbies anything (I'm including myself here) when we haven't established any relationships with anyone other than "I say, You say" Some of the members on here have supported the site with more than words and others have a history with the other forum going back to when it split. So yes DA, this isn't just a boys club, there are all ages on here, (I'm 53) young and old, women and men, but yeah, maybe a few more men.

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 05:14:54 PM »
well - i'm a woman if anyone cares to know (wally is where I work).  don't know why there aren't more women - maybe they are just too busy or they haven't done well in STEM studies, as the media likes to say these days.  i'm here just to find out about different perspectives, no right, no wrong - just to understand stuff for it's own sake.