Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: Zetetic Council Election Thread.
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »
Does the forum have a "poll" function?  Would that, or something like it, add some transparency to the process?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »
wat? Why? The people have spoken.
The people have indeed spoken and agreed upon a set of rules. These rules were not followed. The votes were also demonstrably miscounted (or fabricated, but I try to avoid needless accusations). We need an election where everyone is actually accountable, and information is publicly available.

Does the forum have a "poll" function?  Would that, or something like it, add some transparency to the process?
It does indeed! Using it or something similar is what I'm suggesting.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »
It does indeed! Using it or something similar is what I'm suggesting.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the poll function doesn't allow for write-in candidates.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the poll function doesn't allow for write-in candidates.
It can be done but it would require a member of staff to edit the poll - something I'd rather avoid to preserve accountability. With an election of this size, we should hopefully be able to have one round of nominations to make sure everyone is included and then vote without having to write anyone in.

If a write-in does end up being necessary, it could always be done via a public post. That wouldn't be ideal, but it probably won't happen anyway, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if it did happen.

As an alternative, we could always screw voter anonymity and have people just post their votes in a thread. That way everyone would have a clear view of what's happening.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:13:28 PM by pizaaplanet »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
I am fine with holding the vote again using a public method if it quell everyone's concerns.  I don't think the results will change, except maybe Secret User will find herself on the council.  I say let's go ahead and do it.  To those who have already accepted based on the results of the first vote, don't go anywhere, your services will likely be needed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:22:07 PM by junker »

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »
If we're going to go through this again, why don't we make that Elections board to do it in? Organization,  and stuff
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2013, 12:14:15 AM »
Is there a way to hide the poll results until a specified time?  Squevil wanted to do the PM method to make the votes anonymous so that everyone could vote for who they think should be on the council instead of just going with the flow or feeling like their vote for "insert nominee" is wasted so they don't end up voting for that person.

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 12:55:47 AM »
Hahaha yeah you might be right XD

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2013, 12:59:44 AM »
Something like http://ballotbin.com/ may satisfy everyone's concerns.

From the FAQ:
    Election administrator creates the "Bin"
    Election administrator adds positions and candidates to the Bin's ballot.
    Election administrator adds voters to the Bin
    Election administrator sends registration email messages to the voters
    Election administrator optionally sends reminder email message(s) to the voters
    Voters receive registration email messages and click on the included link. This takes them to the voting page. They fill in the ballot and click "done".
    Results are tallied and displayed to the election administrator and optionally to the voters as well.

The list above says email - but according to the admin FAQ it is possible to create voters without email addresses at all, and simply send a registration code via existing means here in the forum.  So - create a thread (or forum) for nominations and to allow users to register to vote.  Admin puts nominees and registered voters into the Bin, provides voting code(s) to registered voters, and results are provided at a given date and time. 

Thoughts?

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2013, 01:22:57 AM »
I have counted the votes 4 times now because it bothered me that people were saying I made a mistake. I'm embarrassed to say that 1 person wasn't counted for (not pp). Luckily (not that it matters now) it didn't change the votes as they voted for the 3 top people anyway. The changes to the votes so people who selected an admin could make a new choice didn't work too well and I think that made me make an error. In this scenario an automated method would of proved better.

Tom Bishop  111111111111 - 12
Saddam Hussain  111 - 3
Pizaaplanet 1 - 1
Junker  11 - 2
Sean  1 - 1
Thork  1111111 - 7
Rooster  (you had 1 but it was changed)
Hoppy  1 - 1
Markjo  1 - 1
Roundy  11111 - 5
Secret User  1 - 1
Ghost Spaghetti 1 - 1
beardo  1 - 1
Tsuami  111111 - 6

The 1s were just for me to tally the numbers. Also don't trust pizaaplanet, he is full of shit and didn't vote at all and I think he is just trying to shit stir, he has obvious objections to the whole idea anyway. I had 1 vote for secret user. I am happy to quote every single pm I have if there are no objections at all to that.

I do suggest that somebody makes a new poll when you feel like it to avoid any mistakes at all. Oh apart from people making multiple accounts and making many votes, I had first hand experience in this and it is one reason I suggested we did it this way.
But I doubt there would be a great difference in the votes either way.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:24:37 AM by squevil »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2013, 03:40:27 AM »
I am willing to change my name for the good of the society if need be.

I shall make a relevant thread in the Lounge.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2013, 03:41:39 AM »

I will change it back.

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2013, 03:44:20 AM »
Just saddam perhaps?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2013, 04:39:15 AM »

It would have been good for you to change it a long time ago. Now that it may benefit you, you want to change it now. OK, noted.
God is real.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2013, 05:10:01 AM »
Not for my benefit; the society's.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2013, 09:21:33 AM »
Also don't trust pizaaplanet, he is full of shit and didn't vote at all and I think he is just trying to shit stir, he has obvious objections to the whole idea anyway. I had 1 vote for secret user. I am happy to quote every single pm I have if there are no objections at all to that.
Errr...

Yes, I did vote. Thanks very much. No, I do not have "obvious objections" to the idea - on the contrary, it's something I've supported from the beginning. You've just cleared my doubts that you are indeed fucking with this election.

I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish with this, and speculating about it would be giving you more legitimacy that you deserve at this point, but what you did accomplish is deprived yourself of any and all trust I may have had for you. I no longer think you made a mistake. You deliberately manipulated the votes.

I do suggest that somebody makes a new poll when you feel like it to avoid any mistakes at all. Oh apart from people making multiple accounts and making many votes, I had first hand experience in this and it is one reason I suggested we did it this way.
That's trivial to solve. All your "first-hand experience" only shows is that you're completely incapable of running an election. You:
  • Missed someone that isn't me
  • Apparently deleted my vote for some reason and are now accusing me of "shit-stirring" on a site I help run
  • Didn't even think to post a poll in a forum restricted to current members to prevent alts

But I doubt there would be a great difference in the votes either way.
That's not for you to decide. While the results look fine, you did clearly do something with them.

Is there a way to hide the poll results until a specified time?  Squevil wanted to do the PM method to make the votes anonymous so that everyone could vote for who they think should be on the council instead of just going with the flow or feeling like their vote for "insert nominee" is wasted so they don't end up voting for that person.
Yes, you can "only show votes after the poll has expired". That's standard functionality for SMF.

Something like http://ballotbin.com/ may satisfy everyone's concerns.
That is pretty good, but it feels like overengineering it. If people prefer that solution, it's perfectly fine by me, but I think a poll should already cover all bases.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:28:49 AM by pizaaplanet »

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2013, 11:08:03 AM »
Fuck off pp you didn't send me anything. You have never liked me and I think you are just set on making me look bad. Unless you posted as an alt that's a regular user then I never got a pm off you. I try and help everyone out and the fucking admin just insult me.

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
This is exactly why I was asked for my pms to be monitored.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
Fuck off pp you didn't send me anything. You have never liked me and I think you are just set on making me look bad. Unless you posted as an alt that's a regular user then I never got a pm off you. I try and help everyone out and the fucking admin just insult me.
Actually, I didn't insult you at all until you started this "don't trust pizaaplanet, he's a liar!" schtick. What did you expect? You fucked with the votes, I called you out on it. That's all there would be to it if you didn't make it obvious that you did so deliberately.

Also, "you have never liked me" is not as good an argument as you might think. It's really not.

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
I don't want to argue about it. I just don't like being called a liar. I will just forget it as I have lots of respect for you guys.