Offline Liz

• View Profile
A question
« on: October 22, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »
I am new to this forum and signed up just to ask one question. I've always wondered about this flat earth theory but never fully understood until last night when I had a look on this site. I have'nt enought time to dig through all the discussions to see if my question has already been answered, so please except my appologies if it has  and maybe you could point me towards the link if it has.

Going by the flat earth map shown, from my interpretation of it, the North Pole is the centre of the earth. If so then, would the most straight forward way to prove or disprove this theory be to measure the exact circumference of two complete circles around the earth at two points of latitude equadistant apart either side if the equator? Surely the circumference of the circle south of the equator should be vastly greater than the circle north of the equator if the flat earth theory was to be true? Maybe my interperation of your map is entirely wrong?...but if it's not, surely with modern technology and the navigation tools we have today, this couldn't be such a great task?   

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 01:06:49 PM »
I am new to this forum and signed up just to ask one question. I've always wondered about this flat earth theory but never fully understood until last night when I had a look on this site. I have'nt enought time to dig through all the discussions to see if my question has already been answered, so please except my appologies if it has  and maybe you could point me towards the link if it has.

Going by the flat earth map shown, from my interpretation of it, the North Pole is the centre of the earth. If so then, would the most straight forward way to prove or disprove this theory be to measure the exact circumference of two complete circles around the earth at two points of latitude equadistant apart either side if the equator? Surely the circumference of the circle south of the equator should be vastly greater than the circle north of the equator if the flat earth theory was to be true? Maybe my interperation of your map is entirely wrong?...but if it's not, surely with modern technology and the navigation tools we have today, this couldn't be such a great task?

Hi Liz, welcome to the Flat Earth Society.  The map in the FAQ (http://wiki.tfes.org/FAQ) shouldn't be taken as gospel.  It's merely a tool to understand the concept of a flat earth.  Even the FAQ states when introducing the image, "Here is [a] picture of a proposed, but certainly not definitive, flat earth."  Before we laugh at who omitted an "a" from that sentence, it was likely me.  :(

Many flat-earthers believe that Antarctica is a continent in its own right, like Australia, and the ice wall is a separate thing.  So, in this model, it's very possible to circle what scientists say is the South Pole and come up with the expected round-earth answer.

The bottom line is that we don't know what the flat-earth truly looks like as the earth has only ever been mapped by cartographers who were trained to believe that the earth is round.

geckothegeek

Re: A question
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:14:13 AM »

Clue: Look up Azimuthal Equidistant Projection which shows Antarctica as a ring around the circumference of the oceans of the earth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azimuthal_equidistant_projection

See also the Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area projection which shows Antarctica as a continent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_azimuthal_equal-area_projection
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:47:50 AM by geckothegeek »