Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« on: January 02, 2015, 10:51:53 PM »
Right, so earlier in IRC I was telling Blanko how games these days are trashy and too easy. I recently bought Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor during the Steam Winter sale. I downloaded the 43 jiggawatts and began playing the game vigorously.

It starts off ridiculously easy, and I mean ridiculously easy. I didn't know where the health bar was, and didn't bother finding out, because I killed at least fifty Orcs and not a single one touched me. The game continued on in this manner for quite some time. Even when I met an Orc Captain, who started on some monologue (mid-battle, by the way) about how he was going to kill me and drink my blood etc. I did tense up a bit, thinking that maybe the game gets hard now. Nope. Killed him in about five seconds and all his buddies ran away. How droll.

As I continue steam rolling the enemy and killing nearly everything on sight, I realize their numbers are increasing, as in now there is maybe twenty total Orcs all fighting me at once. No big deal, I guess. Except now another captain introduces himself, whatever guy, I don't care. So, I start fighting him... and then another captain shows up. And... then another... and another. Well now I'm fighting all these assholes and one has a poison blade and another blocks all your counters and another always counters when you try to dodge etc, well you get the picture. They all proceeded to collectively kick my ass. Bummer.

Oh, but that's not it, no. The game doesn't give you "GAME OVER", "CONTINUE", "RETRY" or any of that nonsense. No, they built dying into the lore, so that your character cheats death every time. Except now all the guys that killed you REMEMBER THAT THEY KILLED YOU. Every time they kill you, the game punishes you by making them even stronger than they were before, ensuring that every subsequent attempt to kill them results in your death, in fact, after they learn you come back to life over and over again, they'll start doing shit like hunting you down. Some will even sneak up and ambush you.

tl;dr made fun of game for being too easy, game turns on beast mode and is now hard as fuck.

Ghost of V

Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:55:10 PM »
Sounds like Demon Souls, and kinda like Dark Souls. You like those games, right?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
Sounds like Demon Souls, and kinda like Dark Souls. You like those games, right?

Except those games start off as ridiculously easy and then stay that way... permanently.

Ghost of V

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 10:58:43 PM »

Except those games start off as ridiculously easy and then stay that way... permanently.

How much time have you spent with both of those games, Rushy?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 10:59:27 PM »

Is this all you can do?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 11:15:25 PM »
Just want to add that I just found one of those sons a bitches that ganged up on me and I threw him off a cliff. Didn't even know I could do that. Hilarious.

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 11:21:07 PM »

Is this all you can do?

I think it's an important step in establishing your credibility.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 04:20:34 AM »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 01:33:24 AM »
This game is good.  It is very much generic fantasy, though.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 11:13:34 AM »
It is very much generic fantasy, though.
Why is that noteworthy?
The Mastery.

Rama Set

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »

Tolkien is the only one that can do this genre and not have it be generic.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
Saddam is just trying to hilariously use my "generic fantasy" maymay in an ironic tone. I at least hope he is aware that Tolkien's fantasy content is mostly original.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »

How could you slip this badly? I thought you were some type of lore sage.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »
Compared to Tolkien's work (he didn't write the game, just FYI), it was a really generic fantasy plot. I couldn't get myself to care about any of it, and I cry over movies weekly. :l
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »
Why is that noteworthy?

Generic fantasy is always noteworthy.

Compared to Tolkien's work (he didn't write the game, just FYI)

No, it's a faithful adaptation of one of Tolkien's unpublished novels.

Offline mister bickles

• while there's life, there's hope!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 11:53:34 AM »
if you don't appreciate Tolkien's xtianity, then, you can't properly understand LotR :(

if you have the extended DVD edtn of LotR.....its all explained in there.....in the DVD "appendices" which contains interviews with several people who knew Tolkien personally.....

same goes, of course, for C S Lewis and the "chronicles of narnia" movies...... :-B
nisi Dominus frustra

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 09:35:46 PM »
I beat the game.  In terms of gameplay (not story, the AssCreed games have that category covered), it had one of the lamest, most anti-climactic endings ever.  They hyped up that last guy so much that I was expecting an awesome boss battle, but all I got was a shitty QTE.  They could have made the main story a bit longer, too.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »
Saddams plays the orc murder simulator for its story.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 10:44:22 PM »
I didn't care about the story itself.  I meant the missions.  In this day and age, having only twenty story missions is kind of a letdown.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 12:59:20 AM »
I didn't care about the story itself.  I meant the missions.  In this day and age, having only twenty story missions is kind of a letdown.

How do you do this? How do you manage to play games incorrectly?