Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #1040 on: December 11, 2023, 06:49:51 PM »
oh hey, it's vongeo

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 24, 2023, 06:09:46 AM »
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 26, 2023, 02:22:48 PM »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: March 05, 2024, 01:24:35 PM »
Hot take since I finally got around to it. The only good thing about Dragon's Dogma is being able to pick up and throw people. That provided about ten minutes of solid entertainment.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: March 17, 2024, 07:36:58 PM »
Playing Arkham Knight really makes me feel like I'm batman

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: March 18, 2024, 07:27:42 AM »
>okay sadaam
>video games are for children
>imagine unironically not playing neverending fantasy seven remake part deux

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: March 18, 2024, 02:34:00 PM »
>okay sadaam
>video games are for children
>imagine unironically not playing neverending fantasy seven remake part deux

I'm batman

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: March 18, 2024, 03:38:35 PM »
I've been playing Insomniac's Spider-Man game and it's mostly quite good, please enjoy some fragmented and poorly organised complaints. My excuse is I have a really bad cold and my head feels like it's stuck in a vice.

They really nailed the fluidity of the movement, though sometimes combat feels a bit unwieldy compared especially to the two major Arkham sequels, which have a more intuitive combat flow, especially with the quick gadgets button combos. Spidey will often target random other enemies during a combo without any directional input for no apparent reason, so instead of taking out the enemy I just knocked to the floor, he will suddenly turn around and target someone completely different with the rapid web shots. Being able to take some enemies out immediately by webbing them to a wall or floor is cool though, and not having a head-on fight with gun-wielding enemies be an automatic death sentence does give it something that the Arkham games always lacked.

Speaking of stealth, the MJ/Miles sections suck ass. Yeah I really want to have the character who can run up walls and cover all of Manhattan in a matter of minutes by swinging from skyscrapers taken away from me so that I can slowly fumble around as an ordinary person while armed guards with extremely selective cones of vision and radii of hearing fart about in silly obstacle courses like a bunch of potatoes with legs.

The movement is the best part of the game, and the size of the map complements it really well, although some of the collectathon stuff gets incredibly silly very quickly. You'll be on your way to a main objective and Spidey will just blurt out "hey look a pigeon lol" as if he doesn't have something more urgent to take care of. Some stuff can again be a little awkward, particularly interacting with walls in any way other than freerunning. Not jumping against a wall and immediately sticking to it is just weird, as is having to manually aim to shoot up to the ceiling. Ceiling and wall geometries can also be extremely fucky to negotiate; I don't care if it's more realistic, the environment should be built around accommodating Spider-Man as much as possible. The Tony Hawk games have always had ridiculous nonsense geometry because it's fun to have fun things even if they aren't faithful to the real world locations the levels are modelled on.

One final complaint is that for an open world game it feels super on-rails a lot of the time. Sometimes you finish an objective and then have nothing to do, but then literally one minute or less later someone will call you and tell you where to go next. I'm not sure what a good solution to this is, since there's nothing worse than having to complete minigames and sidequests to get the next piece of the main story, but it feels as though Insomniac didn't quite know which direction they wanted to go in with some of this stuff.

Again, overall I think the game is pretty good so far and it does a good job of living up to the fantasy of being your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man, but a solid chunk of it is comprised of really fucking annoying shit put in seemingly at random.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: March 19, 2024, 01:44:26 AM »
Speaking of stealth, the MJ/Miles sections suck ass. Yeah I really want to have the character who can run up walls and cover all of Manhattan in a matter of minutes by swinging from skyscrapers taken away from me so that I can slowly fumble around as an ordinary person while armed guards with extremely selective cones of vision and radii of hearing fart about in silly obstacle courses like a bunch of potatoes with legs.

You just don't understand the vision.

One final complaint is that for an open world game it feels super on-rails a lot of the time. Sometimes you finish an objective and then have nothing to do, but then literally one minute or less later someone will call you and tell you where to go next. I'm not sure what a good solution to this is, since there's nothing worse than having to complete minigames and sidequests to get the next piece of the main story, but it feels as though Insomniac didn't quite know which direction they wanted to go in with some of this stuff.

I have a solution - put a marker on the map with each new story mission, and whenever the player arrives at that marker, then they get a phone call from whatever character wants them to do something next.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: March 19, 2024, 01:21:00 PM »
The core problem with a lot of open world games is that they have some extreme overarching storyline (e.g. the earth is about to collapse into a black hole!). Yet, the protagonist will often waste time doing some random nonsense on the world map, like delivering pizzas, solving a puzzle, or saving one single person from getting beat up.

As an example, one of the missions in Arkham Knight involves an ally being kidnapped and presumably tortured by a villain. However, Batman has no problem taking 10 minutes out of his day to solve some random riddle he found lying around the city. Obviously that's insane from a role-playing perspective, but open world games do this all the time; putting the player in a position where they can either pretend the main mission really is super duper important or they can ignore it to do the secondary story content. It always gives me a weird form of anxiety where I feel like I should be doing the important stuff instead.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 01:23:27 PM by Rushy »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: March 24, 2024, 04:17:04 PM »
I am annoyed that to fight the Riddler in Arkham Knight you have to do ALL TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY THREE of his stupid riddles on the map. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 25, 2024, 01:31:38 AM »
The Arkham games have always struggled the most of any series in trying to balance their high-stakes plots with their open-world formats. It's not helped by how inane and convoluted their plots end up being, and it's so unnecessary. The main draw of these games has always been playing as Batman and fighting his famous villains. There was no need to pair that up with an apocalyptic plot with a breakneck pace in which everything happens over the course of a single night. My big takeaway when I first played through the series was that the games would be so much better if they loosened up and took a more episodic approach, just letting you play as Batman as he faces off against his villains while he goes about his business.

It's a shame that you didn't like Dragon's Dogma, Crudblud. I'm enjoying its new sequel so far, though.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 04:46:34 AM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 29, 2024, 04:37:11 PM »
Only 150 riddles to go!

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 31, 2024, 12:50:20 AM »
I did all of the riddles and got the "true ending" of Arkham Knight. It wasn't worth it. The Riddler fight is meh.

I do like how they managed to find a way to let you murder every single Batman villain without lore implications on the part of Batman.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 31, 2024, 06:25:29 PM »
Cyberpunk 2077 is presentationally fantastic but kind of boring to actually play. For the first few hours I approached it as an FPS, but it became obvious when I decided to try using my PS5 controller that it's a console action game that just happens to be played primarily in first person perspective. I've been warming to it since then, although the generous aimbot assist only really serves to make the garbage gunplay tolerable rather than fun. One thing I will say is just moving around the city feels nice, especially with the adaptive triggers and finer steering control making the driving much smoother and more responsive, although the experience is kind of barren in terms of non-mission content, even compared to now-ancient games like San Andreas.