Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: No gravity on Earth
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2015, 04:06:07 AM »
So much for thinking that someone would even to attempt to provide evidence that the Earth is accelerating... I guess I didn't expect much to begin with.

Until it's proven that the Earth is accelerating (upwards), the rest of the discussion about how it works is useless hypotheticals...
Drop an apple. Apple falls down.
Incorrect.  The earth rises to meet the apple.

Markjo: converted!

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2015, 06:29:18 AM »
So much for thinking that someone would even to attempt to provide evidence that the Earth is accelerating... I guess I didn't expect much to begin with.

Until it's proven that the Earth is accelerating (upwards), the rest of the discussion about how it works is useless hypotheticals...

Or, to spell it out for our friend AMann, the earth accelerates upward to meet the apple.
Tintagel: Converted (to an FET with acceleration as the reason for earthly gravity)
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »

Or, to spell it out for our friend AMann, the earth accelerates upward to meet the apple.

Sadly, that is not evidence. The fact that the apple and the Earth meet when dropped within the atmosphere of the Earth is only proof that a force acts on either the apple or the Earth, but it is not in itself evidence specifically that the Earth is accelerating 'upwards'.

Do you actually have something or is this wiki just a joke?

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »

Sadly, that is not evidence. The fact that the apple and the Earth meet when dropped within the atmosphere of the Earth is only proof that a force acts on either the apple or the Earth, but it is not in itself evidence specifically that the Earth is accelerating 'upwards'.

Do you actually have something or is this wiki just a joke?
Just to springboard from your post, there are at least two easy, verifiable, repeatable, and objective experiments to determine whether the apple falls or the earth rises.

Foucault's Pendulums are common in the lobby of children's museums. Their latitude predicts the direction and magnitude of their precession. Indeed the procession is in opposite directions in the Southern versus Northern hemisphere. Any FEer could buy one for a few hundred dollars and determine the answer.

Precise gravimeters are in many high school budgets. A field trip down into a deep salt mine to measure the lesser gravity there as compared with the surface would disprove FET. 
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2015, 10:21:51 AM »
By the same standards, the theory of universal gravitation cannot be proven because all you can verify that there's a certain force acting between certain items in certain places. How boring.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2015, 05:41:05 PM »
By the same standards, the theory of universal gravitation cannot be proven because all you can verify that there's a certain force acting between certain items in certain places. How boring.
This is actually true. From an epistemological perspective, scientific theories can never be proven. They can be submitted to continued scrutiny, however, and continue to successfully model and predict observations. Sorry if this is boring to you. Might I recommend a career as a skilled tradesman?

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2015, 07:48:32 AM »
to be perfectly honest, the only 'proofs' are based on the fact that the earth looks like it is flat.
from the bedford level test, to the time-honoured test of looking out the window.
but because no (normal) person feels the need to test that the earth is round, the only tests have been done by people with a vested interest in FET or the desire to stir the pot. that is like asking Hitler about the holocaust. (not quite)
all i'm saying is that it would be financially beneficial for Samuel Rothbowham to claim that he had proved that the Earth was flat. No university or research body of any repute has ever tested this, because there is nothing to test.
Any evidence for a round earth is promptly dismissed as a conspiracy.
this website is a debauchery of the scientific method in every sense of the word.
Proving the opposition wrong is not the same as proving yourself right

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2015, 07:32:39 PM »
to be perfectly honest, the only 'proofs' are based on the fact that the earth looks like it is flat.
from the bedford level test, to the time-honoured test of looking out the window.
but because no (normal) person feels the need to test that the earth is round, the only tests have been done by people with a vested interest in FET or the desire to stir the pot. that is like asking Hitler about the holocaust. (not quite)
all i'm saying is that it would be financially beneficial for Samuel Rothbowham to claim that he had proved that the Earth was flat. No university or research body of any repute has ever tested this, because there is nothing to test.
Any evidence for a round earth is promptly dismissed as a conspiracy.
this website is a debauchery of the scientific method in every sense of the word.

I agree with you completely. There is sadly no science here at all, not that I expected much. I had hoped that the fabricated flat Earth thought experiment would of had more substance, but I guess it is difficult to create believable deceptions without having any evidence to back it.

I highly expect that most of those who claim to believe in a flat Earth are simply having fun at everyone's expense. There are not many who are truly deceived by the notion. I do not truly have any evidence for this belief, but the way they dodge questions, answer with obviously faulty data and logic and simply deny anything they can't explain leads me to this conclusion.

We do know that gravity exists, so this post was a little pointless. And we have a lot more experimental data than simply observation of falling objects from a single perspective - the equivalence principle is a cute misdirection, but ultimately a useless way to try and counter the fact, theory or laws of gravity (whichever they were trying to counter).

Ultimately, gravity is the flat Earth thought experiment's achille's heel. There is actually no way to explain all the aspects of gravity (from the force that keeps us on the surface of the Earth to the tidal forces from the gravitations of the Sun and Moon) in a way that makes a flat Earth make sense (as can be seen by pretty much any thread on this site).

I guess my new question (can make it on a new thread if you like) is: what is the point of trying to convince people the world is flat?