Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »
Of what?

Warhammer, greek mythology, lovecraftian mythology, tolkien etc.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2014, 09:01:59 PM »
So just like every other modern fantasy franchise.
The Mastery.

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »

Kind of. The writers would call it a homage, but I think it's closer to ripping it off. It's one thing to carry across similarities, but the entire origin of Azeroth is more or less lifted directly from Lovecraft and Greek mythology with some names changed. Dwarves are exactly the same as the dwarves from tolkien..

Rama Set

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2014, 09:11:09 PM »

No.  There are some franchises that take little to nothing from those influences; "The Chronicles of Amber" and "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" for example.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2014, 09:39:27 PM »
Of what?

LoTR.

90% of modern high fantasy IS though if you want to throw words like "rip off" around.

T

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2014, 10:23:54 PM »
World of Warcraft stuck to lore too and we all see just how well that worked out. Better start the ESO countdown to pandas.
Best MMO of all time?
"Most successful" is an argument one could make, in terms of subscriptions.  "Best" is subjective.  I didn't enjoy it.
That's a better word choice. However, if you were to make a say, top five list of greatest MMO's of all time, I'd be skeptical of putting any game at number one besides WoW.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:57 PM »
World of Warcraft stuck to lore too and we all see just how well that worked out. Better start the ESO countdown to pandas.
Best MMO of all time?
"Most successful" is an argument one could make, in terms of subscriptions.  "Best" is subjective.  I didn't enjoy it.
That's a better word choice. However, if you were to make a say, top five list of greatest MMO's of all time, I'd be skeptical of putting any game at number one besides WoW.

(Essex)MUD?

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »
(Essex)MUD?
I don't know what you're trying to communicate with this.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Rama Set

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2014, 11:47:06 PM »

No.  There are some franchises that take little to nothing from those influences; "The Chronicles of Amber" and "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" for example.

hipster fantasy

I was reading it before hipsters were a thing sonny boy. In my day needs got their ass kicked for reading Tolkien, Anthony or Zelazny so don't you get uppity.

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2014, 12:24:27 AM »

hipster fantasy

I was reading it before hipsters were a thing sonny boy. In my day needs got their ass kicked for reading Tolkien, Anthony or Zelazny so don't you get uppity.

wat did u say about tolkien m8

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2014, 01:12:31 AM »

hipster fantasy

Represent that Zelazny.

Rama Set

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2014, 04:28:01 AM »

hipster fantasy

Represent that Zelazny.

Thats my boy.  We tight.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2014, 07:57:19 AM »
(Essex)MUD?
I don't know what you're trying to communicate with this.

Being the first it was, at it's time, the greatest MMO, and being the first ought to have a claim to at least the top 5.

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »
So Pong is in the top 5 video games of all time?
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2014, 07:00:09 PM »
So Pong is in the top 5 video games of all time?

Potentially, although I'd argue breakout is far superior in terms of enjoyability.

Pong never held my attention span for long, it also didn't directly inspire a genre as such, It might have a look in in the top ten greatest tennis games.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2014, 07:27:17 PM »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2014, 08:09:14 PM »
Suddenly there's an island somewhere between Skyrim and Morrowind that isn't there in the third and fourth era..
The Mastery.

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:34 PM »
Suddenly there's an island somewhere between Skyrim and Morrowind that isn't there in the third and fourth era..

Plate techtonics and vulcanism?
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2014, 08:38:47 PM »

Incorrect.  The island is between Vvardenfell and mainland Morrowind.

Also, it may just be that later cartographers overlooked that island because of how tiny and insignificant it was.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:45:55 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »
bbrrlrbbbrlllllllllllllrlrlbrbllllllllllbrrbrrbrblrblrblblbrlblrblblrlblrblrblllbrlblrlbblll
The Mastery.