Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 06:58:25 AM »
John Cleese has also done quite a few videogame voice overs. If he didn't like it then why would he do it? He can't be hurting for money.

Surprisingly, he is. I watch him in interviews and stuff (was just earlier today) and, like fappenhosen said, his ex-wife took literally all his money. He had to go on tour again just to get some money to live off of. I hadn't thought about it before, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he was just doing this to earn more. Or maybe he did want to do it but ended up bored still, I dunno. Maybe they picked terrible points to film, but he just seems like he doesn't really want to be there and isn't enjoying himself.
I had no idea. Well that sucks. You'd think with royalties and all that he'd still have enough.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »
John Cleese has also done quite a few videogame voice overs. If he didn't like it then why would he do it? He can't be hurting for money.

Surprisingly, he is. I watch him in interviews and stuff (was just earlier today) and, like fappenhosen said, his ex-wife took literally all his money. He had to go on tour again just to get some money to live off of. I hadn't thought about it before, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he was just doing this to earn more. Or maybe he did want to do it but ended up bored still, I dunno. Maybe they picked terrible points to film, but he just seems like he doesn't really want to be there and isn't enjoying himself.
I had no idea. Well that sucks. You'd think with royalties and all that he'd still have enough.

From what I remember she also got Half his future earnings and the figure for future earnings was ridiculously high.

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
I don't get why checking the time means he doesn't care about what he's doing.

Well the story is that these character's they're all narrating are rich, deep, engrossing characters. So if he's checking his watch then he can't be that engrossed. It could be bad timing and I can't believe an editor didn't spot that.

Imagine if he did that on stage. Oh the reviews the next day!

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 06:38:44 PM »
From what I remember she also got Half his future earnings and the figure for future earnings was ridiculously high.

What a terrible woman.

I don't get why checking the time means he doesn't care about what he's doing.

Well the story is that these character's they're all narrating are rich, deep, engrossing characters. So if he's checking his watch then he can't be that engrossed. It could be bad timing and I can't believe an editor didn't spot that.

After so many takes he could still be getting hungry regardless of how engrossing the characters are. From what I remember from Jade Empire and Fable, his voice work has always been entertaining and what you'd expect from John Cleese. I think it was just poor timing and a bad editor.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »
Some people just like to keep track of time more than others.  I certainly do.  Even if I'm having a lot of fun, I'll still check the time occasionally.  As for his demeanor and enthusiasm, well, he's not exactly giving it a hundred percent, but I'd say he's still doing a far better job than most of the generic voice actors in an Elder Scrolls game.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »
^ I guess my standards are just set high because he's John Cleese. I expect to be thoroughly amused by things that he does and possibly laughing my ass off, so I guess I'm just a little disappointed to see that it's not likely to be much more than a nice little cameo to hear his voice.

But yeah, sloppy editing could have made him look more bored than he is.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2014, 11:57:52 PM »
Having high standards for John Cleese any time in the past 25 years is just asking to be disappointed, really.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2014, 01:13:44 AM »
Well I mean by general human standards, not you/balkno standards. :P
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2014, 01:39:12 AM »
Oh come on, I'm not that bad.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2014, 04:11:23 AM »
Anyway, the game itself doesn't look too bad to me.  Nowhere near as terrible as people were fearing when it was first announced, at least.  They're sticking to the lore lore lore fairly well, too, and of course that's the most important part.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2014, 04:29:27 AM »
World of Warcraft stuck to lore too and we all see just how well that worked out. Better start the ESO countdown to pandas.

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 04:31:06 AM »
World of Warcraft stuck to lore too and we all see just how well that worked out. Better start the ESO countdown to pandas.
Best MMO of all time?
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2014, 05:21:36 AM »
Best MMO of all time?

That really boils down to your opinion.

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2014, 06:33:10 AM »
Best MMO of all time?

That really boils down to your opinion.
Well, of course it's debatable, everything is. I can't find any great sources, but WoW is the most subscribed by a huge margin. It had what, 12 million people at its peak? Ridiculous. I don't think there's a company in the world that would be mad if they had a gamely as ridiculously successful as WoW. And I say this as a person that quit the game after BC for being shit, but its legacy is undeniable.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 06:50:49 AM »

WoW didn't stick to lore at all.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »
lore lore lore
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »

Go on.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »
Best MMO of all time?
"Most successful" is an argument one could make, in terms of subscriptions.  "Best" is subjective.  I didn't enjoy it.

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »

Go on.

Vanilla didn't deviate too much, but TBC required a fairly large retcon before it even began and threw out the back story of every major character so the players had something to hit. I'd say WotLK was more lazy with lore than contradictory. Pandas were an ass pull, but I thought the lore they created for Pandaria was interesting.

Blizzard never showed much regard for the story, which is fine because it was largely a rip off anyway.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »
Of what?
The Mastery.