Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: REQUEST FOR COMMENTS: Reunification Proposal
« Reply #200 on: December 31, 2015, 08:36:39 PM »
Yeah, i know it probably won't happen, I was just making a funny mostly. But it does suck, though obviously there'd have to be new talks since I don't think anyone here wants to relinquish as much with how much stuff has changed. It just sucks because they still have all the traffic despite being broken as hell, leaving that as many people's first impression of the FES. >o<

But yeah, I got Wilmore to prod into it all again and still nothing's happened, so I think it's pretty clear Daniel's left the forum and society and all that behind him at this point.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 01, 2016, 05:32:27 PM »
Eh, all we wanted was the database and users.
The users are migrating slowly but surely over.
Our numbers are increasing.
As traffic increases to us and their forum and main page fails, we get more of the traffic.  Heck, google crawlers may not even hit the forums if the main page is down.

So by the time Daniel actually does something, his forum will be dead, ours will be the #1 and we can just say "We don't need you anymore."
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2016, 05:52:38 PM »
I'm not even in favor of a merge anymore.  Even if Daniel were to miraculously return right this second and offer to go ahead with it immediately.  The only deal I'd be supportive of now is one where Daniel hands over everything and gets absolutely nothing in return.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 02, 2016, 03:55:20 AM »
I think it's fair to say that at this point hardly anyone would want the merger in its original proposed form. The proposal was drafted and discussed a long time ago, and we have since made many improvements to our sites which make ours superior in many ways.

If this were to happen (and obviously that's still subject to Daniel actually contacting us), we'd have to go back to the drawing board and come up with an agreement that's more appropriate to the context of 2016. After all, it is the current year.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2016, 04:29:19 AM »
Today I did a Google Search for Flat Earth Society and the homepage of this site now ranks 3rd and the forum of the other site ranks 5th.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:32:28 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2016, 05:25:03 AM »
Today I did a Google Search for Flat Earth Society and the homepage of this site now ranks 3rd and the forum of the other site ranks 5th.
Yeah, although that mostly seems to have to do with the other site's homepage being down for an extended period of time. I'm not sure if this will continue when/if they bring it back up.

That said, we observed a very significant increase in views since then across all our sites. Let's try to make the best of it.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 04, 2016, 07:59:15 AM »
This is still something people are talking about?

I know it might seem odd coming from Daniel's former biggest supporter, but his forum has gone to shit and we're all better off without this happening.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2016, 07:59:53 AM »
*even more to shit.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2016, 08:44:58 PM »
Well, it would still be nice to inherit the post history. Even if a lot of it is spam, quite a lot of it is quality FES history.

Thork

« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »
Expunging links to our site ... yeah, not exactly goodwill, is it.

Offline Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
    • View Profile
    • The Hibernian Zetetic
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2016, 04:31:11 PM »
Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know exactly what the story has been with this... and as you can probably guess, there's not much of a story.

At the start of last October, I tried to revive the discussion about reunification, as Daniel had dropped off the radar during the summer. I got a couple of emails from him, and an offer of a call, but as it happened I couldn't do it the night he was free and needed to push it back a week. Since then, I haven't heard from him. Around the end of October Snupes got in touch, and so I tried contacting him again, and have sent a few emails since. Last was on the 29th of December.

Despite the lack of enthusiasm being expressed in this thread, I'm probably going to keep trying to make this happen (it's been a month, and there's been news, so I might send another email today). I still believe reunification is in the best interests of everyone. The particulars of the arrangement are almost unimportant, especially as it's an open secret at this point that Daniel may not even want to be President anymore. I just think the two sites should be one, as there are shared values there which I think are important. I am in particular thinking of Dubay and his ilk when I say this - devotion to the dogma of the day, 'no true scotsman' accusations, and a smorgasbord of other undesirable behaviours. I don't want that to be the face of the Flat Earth movement in the 21st century. I think we have a lot more in common with each other then either site does with them, and frankly there's no good reason for there to be two sites. Note: I know there were good reasons for people to leave the old site. But that's not a *good* reason for both sites to exist, more an unfortunate one. I still think it's worth fixing that, with all the benefits of traffic and a unified post history going back 12 years at this point. I continue to think that's worth trying for.

All that being said, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, and I'm not sure I could if I tried. This is all ultimately dependent on Daniel, and whilst I've been trying on and off for over a year now to get things going, that only goes so far. I'll keep you all in the loop, to the extent that there is one.

Oh, and sorry I wasn't around during January, have had 3 week-long visits from friends, with another one coming on Saturday (though he's only in Dublin for a couple of nights). Also got an EVE Online account... so there's that. But yeah, should be here a bit more, especially as the resuscitation of the .org homepage seems to have had the effect of slowing the forums to a crawl, which I noticed became significantly faster when it went down. It was a good 4 weeks or so...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:00:27 PM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2016, 04:53:11 PM »
Thanks for the update!

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2016, 06:06:10 PM »
Thank you for trying to get this going, Wilmore. Admittedly, if anything were to happen, I imagine we'd have to seriously renegotiate the exact terms; but, as you said, that's a relatively minor point when currently we basically have no way of progressing.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2016, 07:59:08 PM »
Appreciate your efforts, Wilmore.

geckothegeek

« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2016, 05:11:30 PM »
I'm getting a "404" whenn I search  on "the flat earth society". Has it been shut down permanently ?

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 05, 2016, 05:33:11 PM »
I'm getting a "404" whenn I search  on "the flat earth society". Has it been shut down permanently ?

No, it's experiencing technical difficulties.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2016, 06:00:31 PM »

And no one knows when it'll be fixed...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 07:12:15 PM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 05, 2016, 06:06:51 PM »

And no one know when it'll be fixed...

Know.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2016, 07:12:35 PM »

And no one know when it'll be fixed...

Know.
I was typing in a car.  But fixed now, thanks.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 21, 2016, 01:44:55 AM »
I am probably telling tales out of school, but there was no request to keep the following confidential.
I had noticed a "separation". In particular John Davis only posting on "TheFlatEarthSociety" and "Tom Bishop" only posting here,
but the depth of the division has completely taken me by surprise.

t f e s are all the trolls that left our site. They tried to take over the site a while ago because they were not happy that Daniel was president and wanted to usurp him; they started their own by tarnishing our brand and trademark.

They have no interest in spreading the truth and simply confine themselves to their little forum where they make up fake groups like "The Zetetic Council" in an attempt to appear legitimate. In reality, this just reveals them for the trolls they are. They are 95% of the UA believers and for the large part they don't believe the earth is flat but are similar to groups like Leo Ferrari and Kay Burns Flat Earth Society of Canada which uses our beliefs as to mock us and the modern gullibility of man.

We were first and we are the legitimate society. This is evidenced by our widespread influence in articles, interviews, academic works, and books.  We have banned mention of their site on ours because they performed a coordinated attack on us as well as spammed our forums with links to their site to increase their natural link back rate and to raise our bounce rate. Additionally, they purposely caused many of the problems our site was having at the time in an effort to move people from here to there while simultaneously legitimizing their supposed platform. Oddly enough, once they left, people stopped complaining about thousands of issues they had caused and we were able to maintain legitimate discussion again. Additionally, they stole the content of our wiki, largely derivative work of Daniel himself.   As such we will soon be discontinuing our wiki which they left as a mess of incoherent garbage that often puts down the flat earth rather than discusses it. To add insult to injury, they again tried to bolster their rank through black hat methods by spamming wikipedia with links to their site. Apparently they didn't realize their society has no legitimacy and still don't.

We are on good terms, but make no mistake - they are the enemy of the Flat Earth Movement. If anybody is a shill, a term I really dislike using, its them. They have done more to hurt the flat earth society than any other person in our two hundred year history. The only reason we don't pursue legal action against them is because if they are over there, we don't have to worry about them causing trouble here.

They are the most despicable type of person and in my eyes are terrorists to the Flat Earth.

I have not had the history in either site to form an opinion as to rights and wrongs, but any acrimony like this does cause pain. Even though I am not sympathetic to the aims of either site I don't want it to end this way.

I had better not say any more, but as one who finds that the Heliocentric Globe completely satisfying it is eminently easier to debate the Flat Earth position if it is united.

So, purely for selfish reasons (as well as my dislike of any acrimony) I do hope the groups get together and reach a consensus on "Flat Earth theory".