Offline ElTrancy

• God help and forgive me
    • View Profile
8 Inches to a mile incorrect
« on: May 18, 2018, 06:18:56 PM »
This equation is not correct, and I just want to say this to everybody who doesn't know this already.

http://earthcurvature.com/
Please fucking launch a mininuke at me, I've become hopelessly lost.

Max_Almond

Re: 8 Inches to a mile incorrect
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 06:23:00 PM »
You're saying "the drop below the horizontal is not 8 inches per mile squared"?

Here's a much better curve calculator, by the way:

www.metabunk.org/curve/

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:27:22 PM »
You're saying "the drop below the horizontal is not 8 inches per mile squared"?

Here's a much better curve calculator, by the way:

www.metabunk.org/curve/

Yes, I am saying that.

Max_Almond

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 06:29:02 PM »
Okay. Well I say it is correct - though I will also say that it isn't very useful ("hidden amount" is much more useful, for flat earth purposes).

What is the correct figure and equation then?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:31:08 PM »
You guys just posted links to two calculators, created by individual authors, which give different results to each other.

Yet that somehow demonstrates Rowbotham and the entire scientific community of the 1800's to be wrong?

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »
You guys just posted links to two calculators, created by individual authors, which give different results to each other.

Yet that somehow demonstrates Rowbotham and the entire scientific community of the 1800's to be wrong?

Both calculators give the exact same result. Use any number in both calculators. Each giving different results? Did you even use them?

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 06:36:27 PM »
Okay. Well I say it is correct - though I will also say that it isn't very useful ("hidden amount" is much more useful, for flat earth purposes).

What is the correct figure and equation then?

Are you a Flat Earther or Round Earther? Either way, you contradict both of them.

Max_Almond

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 06:41:41 PM »

Both calculators give the exact same result. Use any number in both calculators.

Actually, both calculators give similar results: the one I linked to uses slightly more sophisticated and therefore accurate trigonometry.

Both calculators also agree, more or less, with "8 inches per mile squared" - thereby validating Rowbotham's simplified, 'ball park' equation.

"8 inches per mile squared" is only useful up to about 100 miles, though - after which something more precise is required.

For most practical purposes, though, it suffices for measuring "the drop".

Though, as stated above, "the drop" isn't that useful: "hidden amount" more so.

Are you a Flat Earther or Round Earther? Either way, you contradict both of them.

How can I contradict them with a question? (I.e., "what is the correct equation?")

I'm a 'Round Earther'.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:54:10 AM by Max_Almond »

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 06:43:28 PM »

Actually, both calculators give similar results: the one I linked to uses a slightly more sophisticated and accurate equation.

Both calculators also agree, more or less, with "8 inches per mile squared" - thereby validating Rowbotham's simplified equation.

"8 inches per mile squared" is only useful up to about 100 miles, though - after which something more precise is required.

Generally, though, it suffices for measuring "the drop".

Though, as stated above, "the drop" isn't often that useful: "hidden amount" more so.

How can I contradict them with a question? (I.e., "what is the correct equation?")

I'm a 'Round Earther'.

Nevermind.

Max_Almond

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 06:50:36 PM »
Nevermind.

Please tell me you're not going to leave here without posting "the correct equation". ;)

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »
Nevermind.

Please tell me you're not going to leave here without posting "the correct equation". ;)

If my maths is right (highly questionable!) then the drop in inches over a distance of 'm' miles should be:

(1 - cos(360m/24938)) x 250,842,240

24938 = 2pi x radius of earth in miles
250,842,240 = radius of earth in inches

This gives 7.96 over 1 mile, 31.85 over 2. So I think it's pretty much right.

I do have some scribble where I derived this, can tidy it up and post it if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:36:21 PM by AllAroundTheWorld »
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Max_Almond

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »
Exactly. It's actually a shade under "8 inches" - but most of us find it easier to multiply by 8 than by 7.96.

It's 'correct enough' - though disappointing to see how many people use it for calculating the 'hidden amount' of a distant object, which is something different.

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 12:44:36 PM »
Nevermind.

I had to leave that day, and I realized that maybe I was wrong, I apologize for my short response.  :'(

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 12:56:15 PM »
To sum up what I was saying. Slight inaccuracies can lead to huge mistakes. (Do I really need to make a reference here?) It's just better not to take everything and round it up or down, because although it isn't much at first, it can make a difference.

Max_Almond

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 01:00:39 PM »
Very true. After about 100 miles, "8 inches per mile squared" isn't accurate enough to reflect the true figure.