Offline Josh

• View Profile
    • Finest Сasual Dating - Verified Maidens
Why do you think the Earth is flat
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:03:17 PM »
Ok so, I gotta ask a few questions

Why? Number one

Also, do you believe in gravity? If so, what do you think the earth formed out of? And why do you think it took that shape?

What about the moon and the sun? Do you believe they're orbiting us? Cause the way they take perfect orbits around us no matter where you are in the world wouldn't be quite the same if earth wasn't round

Also, what shape do you think the Earth is? like, a 3D Rectangle?

Also, do you believe it's possible to fall off the earth? Cause if you do believe in gravity, i assume not... That'd be weird tho... just being able to walk onto the wall or the bottom of a 3D rectangle...

Also, do you also not believe in the planets core? If you do, where is it?

I know you guys know other planets like Mars are spheres, so then why aren't they flat?

Ok I've asked enough lol
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:08:01 PM by Josh »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you think the Earth is flat
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 10:10:10 PM »
Welcome.

Please read the wiki/FAQ.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
scientists around the globe believe the earth is flat.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 03:42:56 PM »

Refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. See the rules for more information. Warned.

Offline Suffragette

• Education is a weapon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »

Why? Number one

The earth looks flat.  The horizon is flat.  The bottoms of the clouds are flat.  A better question would be why do others believe with such ferocity that it is not?  The answer is, of course, because they have been told.  Perhaps read some Descartes, and consider what you know, rather than what you have been taught, and see what conclusion you come to.  Let's start there, and get to your other questions later.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 06:26:51 PM »

Why? Number one

The earth looks flat.  The horizon is flat.  The bottoms of the clouds are flat.  A better question would be why do others believe with such ferocity that it is not?  The answer is, of course, because they have been told.  Perhaps read some Descartes, and consider what you know, rather than what you have been taught, and see what conclusion you come to.  Let's start there, and get to your other questions later.
To be fair there's also sunrise/set, rotation of the stars, moonrise/set, sun/moon consistent size throughout the day, the existence of a sharp horizon line, and not seeing different faces of the moon at set and rise. It's not just "Because they have been told" that keeps most of us believing the Earth is a sphere.

1. Why? Number one

2. Also, do you believe in gravity? If so, what do you think the earth formed out of? And why do you think it took that shape?

3. What about the moon and the sun? Do you believe they're orbiting us? Cause the way they take perfect orbits around us no matter where you are in the world wouldn't be quite the same if earth wasn't round

4. Also, what shape do you think the Earth is? like, a 3D Rectangle?

5. Also, do you believe it's possible to fall off the earth? Cause if you do believe in gravity, i assume not... That'd be weird tho... just being able to walk onto the wall or the bottom of a 3D rectangle...

6. Also, do you also not believe in the planets core? If you do, where is it?

7. I know you guys know other planets like Mars are spheres, so then why aren't they flat?

Ok I've asked enough lol

1. Suffragette pretty much summed FE position upon on this one. "It looks flat" combined with a healthy dose of any of a number of things. But that's the most oft given response.

2. Some theories do, some don't. The origin of the shape of the Earth is not discussed much, which isn't surprising when there's still discussion about how exactly it looks.

3. Yes, they are both believe to follow 'tracks' in the sky in some manner. The exact mechanism of their motion is unknown, and discrepancies in how you are expecting things should look are generally swept aside with 'perspective'. I think there's a few other ideas floating around, but this is the most common.

4. Variable. Some think of it like a coin, some think of it like a rectangular prism (this tends to be the ones coming to FE via religion because of the 'four corners of the Earth' bit), and some believe it's a flat plane of finite depth that stretches infinitely in the other two directions.

5. Depends 100% on the model whether this is even possible, and those where it is still don't agree on if walking off the edge is a possibility.

6. When flat there isn't much space for a core. Although the magma and stuff of course still exists, the model once again determining what it is and how it's there. UA imo has the best explanation for this, in that the mysterious force pushing us heats up the lower parts of the Earth to being molten.

7. Because Earth isn't a planet, and is thus exempt from rules governing other planets. "It's the center of known intelligent observation in the universe, why wouldn't it be special" is a general form of reply. It's on the verge of special pleading imo, but the original argument/statement isn't particularly strong to begin with either so.

Offline ShowmetheProof

• We are fellow scientists, and should act as such.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »

The earth isn't flat, and clearly you agree with me.  You've been playing way too much Plague Inc.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »
If the government was covering up evidence of a flat earth, then they seem to be doing a better job at this than anything else.

Offline Roger G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 12:30:04 AM »
If the government was covering up evidence of a flat earth, then they seem to be doing a better job at this than anything else.

When FEs talk about 'The Government conspiracy', which government are they talking about? Am I to assume they mean the US Government or are they including the hundreds of other countries governments? This would of course also mean countries like Russia, China and North Korea who are also launching rockets are colluding with the US. Then of course there is the European Space agency with dozens of countries putting customer satellites on launch vehicles, oh and don't forget the Japanese and Indian orbital space programmes and all the private enterprise space companies. Man that's a massive cover up that must involve millions of people keeping their mouths shut!

Roger

Roger

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 07:02:32 AM »

Why? Number one
The earth looks flat.

The earth does not look flat to me. I see farther the higher I go. And please do not say "perspective", because if you do, you simply are demonstrating you don't really understand what perspective is. A flat wall or chess board is visible in its entirety as soon as the eye leaves its plane. A curved wall is not.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:25:15 AM by Tom Haws »
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.

ScienceFirst

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 12:52:14 AM »

Curious, can you name a few scientists and cite their research? Thanks!

Offline JAZZEYENANO

• I do not believe in a flat earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 03:07:15 AM »

I have done a number of my own observations on board sailing vessels, and I can say that I have seen evidence that the earth is round. Things disappear over the horizon (and no a telescope doesn't bring it back into view) so I would question why you would think the earth is flat, which makes basically no sense at all.
Convince me if you can