I Can Prove Earth Curvature
« on: November 13, 2021, 05:03:46 AM »
 Anytime, anywhere, you name the place and I can bring equipment and prove it to you in person.

I am a land surveyor, and this is how I can prove the curvature of the earth:

1. Use differential leveling to determine the difference in elevation between two intervisible points at least 1 mile apart. This involves setting up a level, an instrument consisting of a magnifying scope set up with a prism hanging by threads within the shaft, which insures that the line of sight is perfectly parallel with the horizon at that point.

Then using a sort of leapfrog method, setting up the instrument between the interim points, the elevation of the line of sight of the instrument is kept track of as the elevation is "transferred" between points taking readings on a graduated rod set on top of each point, then by the last measurent on the final point you will know the difference in elevation.

2. Then measure the elevation difference again by taking a single measurement between the points, using a theodolite to measure the vertical angle between the straight line linking them and the direction of "down" (the direction of a string with a plumb Bob hanging on it), and a laser distance measurer for the straight-line distance between them.

If FE is correct, then the elevation difference is: ∆h=Dcos(A), where ∆h is the elevation difference, A is the angle between the measurement line and "down", and D is the measured distance between the two points.

The elevation using the spriti level will be accurate, because a spirit level can only take the measurement in  400'+/- segments and the incremental method of the level means that the slight changes in the direction of "down" at each of the increments of the measurement keep the measurement correctly related to gravity.

The direct measurement will be wrong however, because the single measurement will not take into account the absolute difference in the angle of "down". The amount of error can easily be calculated based on the distance between the points. It works out to about 8 inches (20cm) per mile.

I have actually done this before so I have actually observed this effect. And I have done it at two different locations on the earth's surface more than 1300 miles and 10 years apart and it worked in both places. The only things these two locales shared otherwise was a few letters in their names.

Now explain why FE theory could make that happen. And please don't say my instruments are possessed and are faking these answers, like Galileo's telescope purportedly did to "deceive one" by manufacturing these moons around Jupiter and the ring of Saturn.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 12:20:44 PM by gwrox007 »

Offline Tron

• View Profile
Re: I Can Prove Earth Curvature
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 11:33:20 AM »
Hi gwrox007,

I'm not an expert in any sense with land measurement.  The only argument I can make for FE is that any "assumptions" you make when calculating long distance would need to be questioned.  Such as - is the horizon level actually level or is there some kind of distortion we haven't accounted for.

And using your 8inch per mile formula, is it possible the original formula you were given is off and this merely corrects for that.
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 08:01:26 PM »
Hi gwrox007,

I'm not an expert in any sense with land measurement.  The only argument I can make for FE is that any "assumptions" you make when calculating long distance would need to be questioned.  Such as - is the horizon level actually level or is there some kind of distortion we haven't accounted for.

If by distortion you mean refraction, yes, part of surveying includes accounting for refraction.

And using your 8inch per mile formula, is it possible the original formula you were given is off and this merely corrects for that.

Off in what way? Lots and lots of the earth has been surveyed for decades upon decades. And all the distances gathered seem to check, are corroborated endlessly. In part, by every mode of transportation imaginable and via cartography and even GPS. How might the calculation be off when it's substantiated by that mass amount of validating data?

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 08:03:45 PM »
I'm taking about the height of land, not it's distance.
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?