Experiment mentioned in faqs
« on: October 10, 2021, 05:52:00 PM »
Hi all. I'm new here. I've gone thru the faqs and read where an experiment was done with 6 miles between points to prove a flat earth, but then I read a faq about being in an airplane to see the curvature of the earth, where you said you'd hafta be at 60,000 ft to see it. 

So my question is, if you have to be 60,000 ft up to see the curvature, how is your 6 mile experiment valid, which is only 31,680 ft???

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Experiment mentioned in faqs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 06:22:37 PM »
Are you somehow comparing the altitude of an aircraft to the length of a stretch of water and wondering why they're not the same number in two very different contexts?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 07:05:21 PM »
I'm saying if great distance in altitude is required to observe a curvature, why are you cutting that distance in half on the ground to try and prove a flat earth?  Why not just do an experiment where you look out from your front door to the street in front of your house and conclude that the earth is flat?

Why not try your experiment at 200 miles or better?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:07:28 PM by Unbound68 »

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 07:06:56 PM »
I was whale watching 4 or 5 miles off the coast of Maui. It looked like I was a couple hundred yards from shore. 6 miles is too close to test any theory.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 07:10:53 PM »
I'm sorry, but you're simply comparing apples to oranges. This is not how geometry works, and the maths behind each claim is explained in detail in their related articles - you can read through it and make more coherent objections if you wish.

Humour me and explain in your own words: what is measured in each experiment? Why was the distance and altitude chosen accordingly? Show your understanding, since it currently seems that you have none.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:13:11 PM by Pete Svarrior »

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 07:40:33 PM »
Actually why don't you answer a question for me:  would you say that an airplane could maintain a straight line heading from Wisconsin to Hawaii, assuming zero wind and no turbulence?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:42:21 PM by Unbound68 »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 07:41:38 PM »
That's not how forum threads work. Please stop deflecting and get back on topic.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 08:18:01 PM »
I'll pass. It seems I've found the Achilles' heel of your entire theory anyway. Airplanes don't maintain the same heading for the enrire duration of any flight over the ocean.   It's impossible that the plane would arrive at it's destination without adjusting the course of flight along the way.

Drawing a straight line from point A to point B on a flat map is one thing. Putting it into practice in the air is another.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 07:15:09 AM »