Hours of Sunlight
« on: June 17, 2018, 04:32:41 PM »
I decided to look into how much daylight certain places have and I'm a little confused about something. Maybe someone can explain this.

I made a chart of the Sunlight hours for the USA on June 20th, 2018 when the sun would be at the Tropic of Cancer.

MAINE   15:53
MASS   15:17
NEW YORK     15:05
PENNSYLVANIA   15:01
DELAWARE   14:55
VIRGINIA   14:42
 (Nags Head) NORTH CAROLINA   14:36
(Georgetown) SOUTH CAROLINA   14:22
GEORGIA   14:15
(Jacksonville) FLORIDA  14:06
(Melbourne) FLORIDA    13:56
(Miami) FLORIDA     13:45

I was confused as to why the hours of sunlight decrease the closer it gets to Florida. Florida is the closest to the Tropic of Cancer, right? During June-July-August reaching its peak June 20th. Is this because the sun is pretty much directly overhead so it leaves our eyesight and horizon quicker than those who live in Mass? A little confused by that. Curiously I decided to see how the hours work if we go directly to the left of Maine.

LEFT OF MAINE

New Hampshire   15:35 (Bangor)
Vermont   15:35 (Bakersfield)
Michigan   15:34
Wisconsin   15:33
South Dakota   15:33
Wyoming   15:33
Oregon   15:41 (Portland)

The hours of sunlight stays the same. Off by a minute or few depending on the city I chose. But they all stay within the 15:33 mark.

If the Gleason's map and maps like it are ... close to "accurate" as can be, it doesn't make sense. Why Alaska gets a 24 hour sun when it appears the sun is farthest from Alaska when it's circling above. Wouldn't Florida be getting the 24 hour sun since it's almost on top of the Tropic of Cancer? Otherwise, the map really is wrong and nothing is where it's suppose to be.

The higher you go (above Oregon), the hours of sunlight increase. (Bellingham) WASHINGTON 16.10. Fairbanks Alaska (lower end) gets 21.48 but Barrow Alaska (upper end) gets 24 hours.

I hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:41:25 PM by kobnr »

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
Re: Hours of Sunlight
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:33:20 PM »
If you look at Timeanddate.com's world day/night map for June 20, you can see why. Here's a link to June 20th at 9:00 UTC: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html?month=6&day=20&year=2018&hour=9&min=0&sec=0&n=&ntxt=&earth=0

As you can see on the US's east cost, Maine and Massachusetts get hit with light first. Then, about an hour later, Florida gets light.

On June 21st, at ~1:50 UTC, Florida then experiences sunset. Around 2:30 UTC, MA and ME then get sunset.

When I get the chance I'll make a 3D model.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 10:38:25 PM »
If you look at Timeanddate.com's world day/night map for June 20, you can see why. Here's a link to June 20th at 9:00 UTC: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html?month=6&day=20&year=2018&hour=9&min=0&sec=0&n=&ntxt=&earth=0

As you can see on the US's east cost, Maine and Massachusetts get hit with light first. Then, about an hour later, Florida gets light.

On June 21st, at ~1:50 UTC, Florida then experiences sunset. Around 2:30 UTC, MA and ME then get sunset.

When I get the chance I'll make a 3D model.

What is UTC?

I look forward to your model or a link showing me how this works. I'm really interested how the sun and moon work.

Offline Bobby Shafto

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdv72TaxoaafQr8WD
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Shafto YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 11:22:29 PM »
What is UTC?
Coordinated Universal Time.

I look forward to your model or a link showing me how this works. I'm really interested how the sun and moon work.
See the attached image for the orientation of the sun during the summer solstice (not to scale; for illustration only). Dawn sweeps from the NE during the solstice, and evening twilight from the SE, because the earth is tilted with the Tropic of Cancer "pointing" upward toward the sun. So, as the earth spins, the sun appears to circle in a cone above the globe, "peeking" over the north pole such that it doesn't appear to set for anyone inside the artic circle during the solstice. So, northern cities see an earlier sunrise and a later sunset than mid latitudes during the summer. Opposite situation in the winter. Mid-latitudes see less extremes in the length of the day, with equatorial locations having the least amount of difference between length of day throughout the year. But the difference between length of days between summer and winter become more and more extreme, the further away from the equator you get.

I snapped these from an animated gif once upon a time. You can probably find it online.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:25:54 PM by Bobby Shafto »

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »
How would that look on the Circular flat map? Is there a picture or animation for that?

Offline Bobby Shafto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:35:32 PM »
I don't know. Mine's a globe earth answer only. A flat earth proponent will have to tackle the flat earth perspective.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:37:13 PM by Bobby Shafto »

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 01:30:53 AM »
I'm surprised no one has done this... Considering the subject at hand. Aren't we suppose to be trying to figure this out?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 03:12:17 AM »
I decided to look into how much daylight certain places have and I'm a little confused about something. Maybe someone can explain this.

I made a chart of the Sunlight hours for the USA on June 20th, 2018 when the sun would be at the Tropic of Cancer.

This one is easy. The sun's area of light overlaps the North Pole when the Sun is at the Tropic of Cancer. This is why higher latitudes increase in daylight duration until, when far enough North, the sun ceases to set at all and the Midnight Sun occurs.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:16:20 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »

This one is easy. The sun's area of light overlaps the North Pole when the Sun is at the Tropic of Cancer. This is why higher latitudes increase in daylight duration until, when far enough North, the sun ceases to set at all and the Midnight Sun occurs.
Not to be a pest but can you show me what you mean? Image or video?

Offline Bobby Shafto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
I'd like to see that too. Those I've seen work okay on the north pole side of the equator, but when the sun is moving on paths between the equator and the tropic of Capricorn, they don't show daylight north of the equator the way we experience it (who sees sunrise earlier, how long daylight lasts, slant direction of the rising or setting sun, etc.)

I've tried to model it myself, mostly leveraging off other efforts, but haven't been able to figure out a solution.

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 11:41:53 PM »

Not exactly getting a great picture in my mind. Could we get a picture or a graphic?
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.