Offline RazaTD

• A rational man
    • View Profile
[EXPLANATION NEEDED] Clouds lit from underside
« on: June 08, 2018, 05:42:52 PM »
Short Introduction

I've been following Flat Earth for about a few weeks and I've spotted some mighty errors that have been explained with complete disregard to the rest of the Flat Earth Conjecture and this often ends up explaining that particular phenomenon but debunking the rest of the conjecture.

I believe the question I'm going to ask is one of them.

The Question

I've personally witnessed and seen a dozens of pictures (on the web) of the clouds being lit from underneath by the sunlight. According to the basic Flat Earth Conjecture, the Sun is floating way above the clouds and therefore, to my knowledge, something like this should be impossible on the Flat Earth.

I'm pretty positive that there is actually no sane explanation for this but to prove me wrong is up to the Flat Earthers. Just in case you're not able to find the photos of the exact phenomenon I'm talking about, I'll attach an image.

In this remarkable photograph, you can see that not only are the clouds lit from underside but they have the Mountain's shadow casted over them. I believe this is quite impossible to achieve with Flat Earth.

The Globe Explanation

On the Globe, this phenomenon occurs because of the rotation of the Earth about it's axis. During the dusk, the Sun sinks into the horizon but you can make it reappear if you go higher. The height at which the clouds are, the Sun is still shining.

This is easily provable by videos shot on Burj Khalifa, a tower so tall, you can watch two sun sets a day by ascending.
A rational man

Re: [EXPLANATION NEEDED] Clouds lit from underside
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 07:18:44 PM »
FE perspective hypothesis and reflections. We had quite the discussion about this a while ago, and that was all that was really offered up. https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=6875.0

EDIT: Apologies, there was also denial that they're being lit from below at all in there.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 12:40:55 PM »
I have no idea where that image was taken, but I assume there is a sea or a lake behind the Mountain.

When the sun is now far away from you at an angle, the light bounces off the water and up to create what you see in this image. Its not like this happens a lot and there are lots of images. You just found a unique example where it is really pronounced.

Edit ... ok, its Mount Rainer in Washington. Right by the sea which is due West of the mountain giving you the same effect over and over again at sunset.

Its always Mt Rainer.

Case closed.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 01:02:15 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 04:48:57 PM »
Its always Mt Rainer.

Case closed.

Case not closed.

Google image search for "Mountain casting shadow on cloud" and the third result is the same from Mount Hood, some 50 miles East of Portland, Oregon, which is in turn some 40 miles from the West Coast.

Result 12 is from a mountain in Spain.

Not all Mount Rainier
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Max_Almond

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 05:32:26 PM »
There are similar shots of the sunrise at Mount Rainier:

And here are some taken in Colorado:

Source: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:KA7vp4WI1pIJ:kdvr.com/2016/11/11/casting-shadows-a-rare-sunset/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:53:08 PM by Max_Almond »

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »
Mount Rainier is about 100 miles from the ocean.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mount+Rainier/@46.4900452,-123.2168607,7.56z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x5490d193f70860fb:0x5b5e4fe17ad6b707!8m2!3d46.8523075!4d-121.7603229

And, here's the best part: The same effect at SUNRISE, when it is 3000+ miles to the ocean eastward.
http://twistedsifter.com/2014/01/the-sky-shadow/

What was that you said? "Case closed."

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 01:33:39 AM »
I have no idea where that image was taken, but I assume there is a sea or a lake behind the Mountain.

When the sun is now far away from you at an angle, the light bounces off the water and up to create what you see in this image. Its not like this happens a lot and there are lots of images. You just found a unique example where it is really pronounced.

Edit ... ok, its Mount Rainer in Washington. Right by the sea which is due West of the mountain giving you the same effect over and over again at sunset.

Case closed.
What water? The Mount Rainer photos are all at sunrise, when the sun if roughly ESE of the mountain. There's a bit of a lake about 51 km in about that direction but that all.
I wouldn't know if that lake is even visible from Rainier or hidden behind mountains.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:00:24 PM »
I'm assuming that this a question of whether or not their is a local sun.  Well think about if the earth is rotating.  Then as the sun rotates, wouldn't the set on the horizon and then be shining under the clouds.  Shining under the clouds from a low position does not prove a flat earth, because it does not erase the idea of a sphere.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 08:43:48 PM »

Baby Thork, I know we are now best friends and all that, but why do you constant have to be so wrong?  you just throw out 'facts' that a simple 4 second internet search could disprove.  I have been to Ranier a few times, no it is not right by the sea.  in fact i recall quite a long 4 hour drive to get to it from Seattle.

and what am i missing here as it relates to this being FE or RE?  seems the cause is the same in either scenario.
Quote from: SiDawg
Planes fall out of the sky all the time

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 10:22:11 PM »
and what am i missing here as it relates to this being FE or RE?  seems the cause is the same in either scenario.

How does the sun get to be below the clouds on FE?

Not 'perspective', please....

On RE, the rotation of the planet changes the clouds' angle with respect to the sun. 
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

alfred1

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »
This, to me strengthens the round earth point of view. The sun in these pics is below the horizon and below the cloud level. This could not happen of the earth was flat. The sun would remain at the same height relative to the clouds.