My biggest question on all this
« on: June 02, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »
So I'll preface this with, I'm not a troll, not trying to be an asshole. However I can't understand how people do believe the earth is flat. So my biggest question is why do YOU believe the earth is flat? And to those who believe the earth is round, why do YOU believe as such?
Please feel free to add any evidence you have to add to your beliefs.

I'll add I personally believe in a round earth, due to what I can see and feel, along with things such as physics, which in my personal experience all lead to such a belief.

I'm not trying to start fights, and if you wish to namecall or 'sling mud' at one side or the other I personally will not dignify you with a response, and I urge anyone else who wishes to post upon this thread to do the same and ignore such trolls. (Even if you're not one using such tactics will result in you being seen as such by me)

Thank you to anyone who wants to debate/discuss here.

And P.S. Using comic Sans because I like it  ;D [No, you're not. ~Pete]
I'm still gonna use it Pete! Even if it must hide.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:55:46 PM by CuriousToAT »

Offline Rab79

• View Profile
Re: My biggest question on all this
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
So I'll preface this with, I'm not a troll, not trying to be an asshole. However I can't understand how people do believe the earth is flat. So my biggest question is why do YOU believe the earth is flat? And to those who believe the earth is round, why do YOU believe as such?

I'll add I personally believe in a round earth, due to what I can see and feel, along with things such as physics, which in my personal experience all lead to such a belief.

I'm not trying to start fights, and if you wish to namecall or 'sling mud' at one side or the other I personally will not dignify you with a response, and I urge anyone else who wishes to post upon this thread to do the same and ignore such trolls. (Even if you're not one using such tactics will result in you being seen as such by me)

And P.S. Using comic Sans because I like it  ;D

I do have a question if the moon were indeed in so called space as they call it why is is it at night when the moon is out you can clearly see clouds behind the moon and the full of the moon is in front of the clouds? mmmm...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:51:00 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »

I do have a question if the moon were indeed in so called space as they call it why is is it at night when the moon is out you can clearly see clouds behind the moon and the full of the moon is in front of the clouds? mmmm...

Really? Can you provide any evidence of that?
Even if the moon is where FEers say it is, then it is many hundreds of miles above the highest clouds......... interested to see the evidence....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:51:14 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Also, if you haven't heard of bronies before, that reflects poorly on your understanding of the world that surrounds you. It's practically impossible not to know about them.

Offline Bobby Shafto

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdv72TaxoaafQr8WD
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Shafto YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 02:05:26 PM »

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 03:03:33 PM »
Seems more like the moon is just shining through the thinner clouds, like how you can see a lightbulb through paper. The higher up clouds are thin enough to appear invisible from the light of the moon or the sun.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
Sorry, I won't allow that outside of the Complete Nonsense board.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 09:15:09 PM »
Best modding decision ever tbh.

Back to the silly claim about clouds being behind the moon...
Pretty sure that would not be so in FE either, and clearly in that video they have the exposure set to silly levels such that the moon is so bright the light of it completely obliterates the clouds in front of it.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Westprog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 10:22:45 PM »
Best modding decision ever tbh.

Back to the silly claim about clouds being behind the moon...
Pretty sure that would not be so in FE either, and clearly in that video they have the exposure set to silly levels such that the moon is so bright the light of it completely obliterates the clouds in front of it.

They show a picture where you can see the clouds in front of the moon and claim that the clouds are behind the moon.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 05:45:00 PM »

I've seen other talk on this, but I'll add in, the clouds aren't behind the moon, and this is in either model of earth given. I'm not 100% sure on the height that clouds can't be outside, however, they need to be within the atmosphere (as I'm not FE I don't know what you guys call/consider the equilvante of this) in order to be formed. Usual when you see the moon appearing in front of a cloud it's due to the light passing through a thin cloud. It's the same as if you were to hold a piece of paper to the sun. You'd see the sun through the paper. Therefore it's more of an optical illusion, as the rest looks like it's in the correct place but what's in front of the moon doesn't.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:51:42 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline MCToon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 06:02:15 PM »

The typical FE claim is the moon is 3000 miles above the flat earth.  I haven't seen any claims that clouds are over 3000 miles up.  I have seen very little consistency in FE claims so these guys could hold a different opinion.

I'll agree that this is clearly a misunderstanding of basic contrast.  I would suggest these people look into some of Ansel Adam's photographic writings or start more enjoyable read, the excellent "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.  This book brought my photography from terrible to ...um... less-terrible. 

The other sad thing is how this video so strongly claims it's all about the truth when it's telling such lies.  Sadness.
I love this site, it's a fantastic collection of evidence of a spherical earth:
Flight times
Full moon
Horizon eye level drops
Sinking ship effect

alfred1

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »
The clouds seem to be in front of the clouds to me. Theses clouds are only very thin and the light from the moon can easily pass through the thinner ones. Clouds are not solid objects. They vaporous.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:49:52 PM by alfred1 »