This is a serious, curious question.
« on: February 20, 2018, 04:09:24 PM »
I don't believe in the Earth being flat and I don't mind other people believing otherwise. Let me say that first. If you believe the earth to be flat, round, egg shaped, on the back of a turtle, I don't mind. However, I have a serious question.

If the Earth is flat. How has no one found the edge? The "ice wall?" Surely with the expeditions done by many pioneers, to set world records, to reach the south pole and to circumnavigate the Earth, someone must have found any resemblance of an edge.

I am curious to learn something new. I am being serious by the way. I am open to ideas.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: This is a serious, curious question.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:29:02 AM »
The "edge" and the Ice Wall are two different things - so the answer to your question depends on what you meant.

The Ice Wall can be trivially observed from a distance, and plenty of photos are available.

The "edge" is a hypothetical concept proposed mainly by finite-plane FE'ers and (more commonly) RE'ers. It may or may not exist, and it is most likely undiscoverable either way.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 09:37:42 AM »
The "edge" and the Ice Wall are two different things - so the answer to your question depends on what you meant.

The Ice Wall can be trivially observed from a distance, and plenty of photos are available.

The "edge" is a hypothetical concept proposed mainly by finite-plane FE'ers and (more commonly) RE'ers. It may or may not exist, and it is most likely undiscoverable either way.
Why from a distance and not closer?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
It doesn't look particularly impressive up close (unless you like images of nothing but ice), but it has of course been seen up close.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »
It doesn't look particularly impressive up close (unless you like images of nothing but ice), but it has of course been seen up close.
When you look at. the wall is it a concave or a convex shape and how long is it?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 06:53:37 AM »

By whom and did they not attempt to scale it to see what is beyond? How do know it goes around the whole earth?
There seem to be a lot of claims about this wall with very little evidence.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 11:34:13 AM »
When you look at. the wall is it a concave or a convex shape and how long is it?
How on Earth do you hope to establish that by simply looking?

By whom
Anyone who wanted to travel there.

and did they not attempt to scale it to see what is beyond?
They did. There are a fair few research stations out there, you know?

How do know it goes around the whole earth?
It has been circumnavigated many times.

Yes. I am a big fan of accepting that some things are sufficiently evident as to not require evidence in conversation. For example, I would not demand evidence of you having lungs, or that you have consumed some food within the last 5 months.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
How on Earth do you hope to establish that by simply looking?[/b]

By whom

Yes. I am a big fan of accepting that some things are sufficiently evident as to not require evidence in conversation. For example, I would not demand evidence of you having lungs, or that you have consumed some food within the last 5 months.
One assumes the people taking the pictures would have been aware of the area around them, did they have a map for navigation?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 09:30:26 PM »
Well, I agree with that principle and of course what is self evident is subjective. But the facts that people live on good and breathe using lungs are not controversial and do come under that category.

The "fact" that there is an ice wall circling the earth which is unknown to conventional cartography or science does not, in my opinion.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »

Those photos are glaciers.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 10:40:47 AM »
How on Earth do you hope to establish that by simply looking?

By whom

I do not quite understand the difference between the ice wall and the "edge"! Is there supposedly an ice wall that extends from Antartica and surrounds the world? Or is the "edge" beyond the ice wall with sea in between? Does the ice wall extend to the "edge"?

There has been several expeditions to Antartica as I am sure you know Pete, since you mention the research stations. Since Roald Amundsen was the first to reach the South Pole in 1914, Antartica has been crossed on foot, by planes and circumnavigated. No ice wall has hindered these expeditions, and Antartica is surrounded by sea on all sides. No ice wall extends from Antartica making it impossible to circumnavigate, and no "edge" has been found on either side of it.

In 2012 a Norwegian expedition followed Roald Amundsens route to the South Pole starting from Ross Barrier up the Axel Heiberg glacier. From the South Pole they went to Hercules Intlet. The went on foot the entire distance. They started by sea and reached the sea. No extended ice wall was observed, and no "edge" found.

In 2005/2006 Norwegian Rune Gjeldnes went by foot from the Novo Station in Queen Maud land via the South Pole to Terra Nova Bay. Sea at starting point, sea at end point. Again, no extended ice wall observed, and no "edge" found.

From the Ross Sea up the Ross Ice Shelf and towards the Axel Heiberg glacier it is about 2800m. Then the glacier takes you another 300m up. It is definately an ice wall, but it does not extend further out from Antartica, and it is not impossible to cross.

The explanation you give here Pete makes no sense at all, so I am eager to learn more from you how this ice wall is supposed to go around the world.

Actually, since you state that the ice wall has been circumnavigated many times you also admit that the earth is round. How else could you circumnavigate the ice wall?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:53:42 AM by Northman77 »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 11:06:11 AM »
The "fact" that there is an ice wall circling the earth which is unknown to conventional cartography or science does not, in my opinion.
If you question the existence of ice shelves, or that they constitute a continuous body, I have no way to help you.

Those photos are glaciers.
Yes, larger things are generally made up of smaller things.

totallackey

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
Actually, since you state that the ice wall has been circumnavigated many times you also admit that the earth is round. How else could you circumnavigate the ice wall?
"In the ball-Earth model Antarctica is an ice continent which covers the bottom of the ball from 78 degrees South latitude to 90 and is therefore not more than 12,000 miles in circumference. Many early explorers including Captain Cook and James Clark Ross, however, in attempting Antarctic circumnavigation took 3 to 4 years and clocked 50-60,000 miles around. The British ship Challenger also made an indirect but complete circumnavigation of Antarctica traversing 69,000 miles." - 200 Proofs Earth is Not a Spinning Ball

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 12:06:10 PM »
"In the ball-Earth model Antarctica is an ice continent which covers the bottom of the ball from 78 degrees South latitude to 90 and is therefore not more than 12,000 miles in circumference. Many early explorers including Captain Cook and James Clark Ross, however, in attempting Antarctic circumnavigation took 3 to 4 years and clocked 50-60,000 miles around. The British ship Challenger also made an indirect but complete circumnavigation of Antarctica traversing 69,000 miles." - 200 Proofs Earth is Not a Spinning Ball
Not sure what the point is here. This map shows the route it took, it went all over the place.

https://i4is.org/the-voyage-of-hms-challenger/

So that total number of miles includes its journey from England and back and other detours.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 12:12:32 PM »

As I have pointed out to you in other posts, you are refering to early explorers. Why do you ignore every explorer that has circumnavigated Antartica since then? There is even a boat race now that circumnavigates Antartica. Without any disrespect to the early explorers, but they did not always know what they were doing! Colombus was a great explorer but he is a prime example of how little they knew about the world at that time. Cook and Ross does not by any means prove your point, nor does it answer my questions.

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 06:49:05 PM »

Quick question: Have you seen the ice wall yourself? How do you know that those photos you have seen (share them if you would, I am very curious) are real and not doctored?

Does anecdotal evidence only apply to an argument when you agree with it? Are all pictures assumed to be faked unless they support your point of view?

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 02:39:00 AM »

By the Flat Earth model shouldn't it take decades to travel all the way around the ice wall? If this is the case would you mind providing an example of someone who has done this?