Flat-Earth "gravity" - explain
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:22:11 PM »
According to FE theory, the Earth is a plane accelerating upwards at a rate of 9.8ms^-2.  This will create the effect of gravity. 

This would imply that gravity is uniform at all points of the earth's surface as everything is accelerating at this rate.  This is incorrect as a simple experiment can show that at higher altitudes the gravitational acceleration is larger (albeit a small difference).  I.e at the top of Mt. Everest gravity is stronger than at sea level.

Can someone help me understand how FE theory explains this inconsistency?

*Edit - I am actually a strong advocate of the flat earth movement (I chose an ironic name for a laugh) - I would just like some help explaining this
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:24:13 PM by NASAroundboi420 »

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
Re: Flat-Earth "gravity" - explain
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
Here's one person's attempt:

Any variation at sea level can be explained by the distribution of celestial gravitation above or below the earth, and does not directly conclude that the phenomenon is a result of the attraction of mass at all.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
But that's so inconsistent.  Newtonian gravity can't be applied to a flat earth model of gravity.  That would imply that at the edges of the earth's plane, it would be equivalent to an acceleration acting perpendicularly to the direction of "gravity".

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
But that's so inconsistent.  Newtonian gravity can't be applied to a flat earth model of gravity.  That would imply that at the edges of the earth's plane, it would be equivalent to an acceleration acting perpendicularly to the direction of "gravity".

I suppose it is a good thing that no one is talking about gravity, then.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 04:34:24 PM »

I suppose it is a good thing that no one is talking about gravity, then.

Junker - explain how gravitational acceleration works to me?  Because as I see it, your current model is completely nonsensical and full of inconsistencies

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 04:35:01 PM »
True, which is why they don't apply Newtonian rules to the flat earth.  In their world, gravity isn't a thing.  They go to great pains to differentiate between "gravitation" (acceleration for no apparent reason) and "gravity" (acceleration due to the attraction of mass to mass).  It takes a while to get your head around it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:38:06 PM by Rounder »
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 07:12:45 AM »

True, which is why they don't apply Newtonian rules to the flat earth.  In their world, gravity isn't a thing.  They go to great pains to differentiate between "gravitation" (acceleration for no apparent reason) and "gravity" (acceleration due to the attraction of mass to mass).  It takes a while to get your head around it.

Actually, they (FEers) use the concept of "Universal Acceleration" to explain what the rest of the world interprets to be gravity. Gravitation is used in FE mythology to explain an entirely different, yet equally paradoxical and mysterious, phenomenon. Gravitation is defined thusly by Dictionary.com:

gravitation
noun
1. Physics.
the force of attraction between any two masses.
Compare law of gravitation.
an act or process caused by this force.
2. a sinking or falling.
3. a movement or tendency toward something or someone:
the gravitation of people toward the suburbs.

Hence, if they choose to "create" another, gravity like, force, they will have to choose another word as "gravitation" is already taken. It (gravitation) makes no distinction regarding the types of mass which experience its force, hence the earth, which has mass, would experience it to the same extent as would any other object of the same mass. If they choose to evoke a force (other than classically understood gravitation) which acts between all celestial bodies and the earth, they must call it by another name, given that gravitation is reciprocal.

That very reciprocity introduces even more complications and complexities into their model than those with which they presently have to contend. So please, FEers, find another word with which to describe your newfound "force". Even a "made up" word would be more acceptable than gravitation. It would certainly be more appropriate.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »
According to FE theory, the Earth is a plane accelerating upwards at a rate of 9.8ms^-2.  This will create the effect of gravity. 

Not quite. According to FET, there is something we can't see beneath the earth accelerating upwards, and the earth is resting on it.

(My money is on a really big frying pan, and the earth is just about done on one side...)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:00:52 PM by JocelynSachs »

Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:01:19 AM »

Not quite. According to FET, there is something we can't see beneath the earth accelerating upwards, and the earth is resting on it.

(My money is on a really big frying pan, and the earth is just about done on one side...)

You get an LOL for that.

But, again, not quite. From what little I've read, FE appears to be invoking a force which acts upon the earth,  constantly accelerating it upward. The force which appears to be in favor at the moment is "dark energy" an equivalency of "dark matter".