Horizons on a "flat earth" would look completely different
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:40:17 PM »
A common fallacy of Flat Earthers is to say "if the earth is round why does it look flat to me?"  The problem with this fallacy is that they assume that standing on a flat earth would look like what we experience every day. 

But the truth is, if we lived on a flat earth, our horizons would look completely different.  On a flat earth, our horizons would always have some mountain range, hills, or city off in the distance.  For instance, if you were standing anywhere in Kansas (probably the flatest state in the Union), the Rocky Mountains would be visible in the West and the Appalachian Mountains visible in the east. 

To the south we would see Oklohoma City.  It would be small but it would still be visible. 

If we stood at the edge of the ocean, we could see across the ocean to the opposing coastline.  And if we travelled across the ocean, both coastlines would never leave our view. 

That's what our horizons on flat earth would really look like.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Horizons on a "flat earth" would look completely different
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:22:44 PM »
Ah yes, the atmoplane/atmosphere is perfectly clear in both models. That’s why mountains in the distance that are visible one day in RET are somehow now visible. It’s all because of “the fallacy.” Well done.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
Ah yes, the atmoplane/atmosphere is perfectly clear in both models. That’s why mountains in the distance that are visible one day in RET are somehow now visible. It’s all because of “the fallacy.” Well done.
Then answer my question in this thread please.

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=7904.0

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:37:32 PM »

You made a thread on a different topic to ask someone to answer a question in another thread? Does that make sense to you?

Also, no. It has been covered as nauseam in this community, so do your own research.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »

You made a thread on a different topic to ask someone to answer a question in another thread? Does that make sense to you?

Also, no. It has been covered as nauseam in this community, so do your own research.

My questions were definitely related so I was surprised when you choose to answer one and choose to ignore the other one. I mean...if the answer to my question here was so mind-numbingly simple to a flat earth, then my other question should have been as mind-numbingly simple for you to respond to as well. 

But you didn't...so I find that curious.

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 02:40:10 AM »

Actually, the opening post is right. Extremely clear days do happen. You can see the sun and stars from the earth. There is no limit to visibility under the right conditions. An unobstructed line of sight from Kansas to a football stadium in Denver would indeed provide a view of the lights.

It seems to me this forum could cut short a lot of discussion if we arranged local group experiments. Shouldn't be too hard to design something interesting.
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.

Offline John Quinton

• flat earthers unite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 04:00:53 AM »
i dont know about this guys, whenever i go outside i see mountains all around me

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 01:54:14 AM »
i dont know about this guys, whenever i go outside i see mountains all around me

You don't happen to identify the mountains and ask how far away they are, do you? You don't happen to climb the highest one and see what's beyond, do you? What do you find?
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.

devils advocate

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »

Then one must assume you live near a lot of mountains thus seeing mountains is what we would expect you to see. However............if you travel away from where you live you would not see these mountains, if you went to another continent you would see different things yes? try it and report back  ;D