Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
Quantum Physics and Flat Earth
« on: December 05, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »
Hi everyone, I am a student in high school, and have been studying Quantum theory and the mechanics/ behaviors of particles within the field of science, and a few questions came to my mind when running across your website.

For any who need a simple explanation.
The behaviors of light itself are odd enough, Light is a particle-wave (photon), emitted by electrons, as a form of released energy.

The Flat Earth theory calls for no gravity. If so,it is just an unknown "power" (more philosophical than scientific) interacting with all matter and waves. Even Light is affected by this "force" and is, to an extent, drawn to the earth.
With recent technology, we have been able to study this with the gravitational anomalies known as 'Black Holes.' The significant gravity of a Black hole is enough to curve light (approx. 300,000,000 m/s) to a visible point, creating a ring or horizon around the anomaly. The nature of gravity,or this 'force' in terms of Flat Earth, that these anomalies show us, is that, all mass emits fully encompassing (spherical) waves that attract all forms of matter and substance to the central point of the mass.

This is where the question comes in.

If there is a 'force' holding us down, how does the earth remain flat?

Where does this 'force' come from?

How does Our planet not follow the patterns and behaviors of all other planets, including the behaviors of gravity?

Thank You for your time.

Offline OrigamiBoy

• more like fat earther amiright
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum Physics and Flat Earth
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »
Expected FE response: Quantum physics does not exist, black holes arnt real, earth is special
These are very desperate people - trying SO hard to maintain this one theory that they are prepared to shut their minds to the hundreds of crazy things they have to say to defend it.

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »
Expected FE response: Quantum physics does not exist, black holes arnt real, earth is special
I know its hard not to be emotionally biased, but try not to be rude, please.

Offline ghostopia

• The Earth is round
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 10:20:11 PM »
I am not a FE'er but let me answer these questions.

There are multiple hypothesis proposed by FE'ers.

Some argue that the entire Earth is accelerating forward constantly. This hypothesis says the gravity does not exist but it is this acceleration that keeps you on ground. This is called Universal Acceleration and you can take a look at wiki page.

There is another hypothesis saying the Earth is actually infinitely large plane. This is from the wiki
There are also other theories of flat earth thought that maintain that the earth sits on an infinite plane, with the sun moving overhead. Gravity works much like it does in a round-earth model, and the earth will never form into a sphere because the plane is endless.

How does Our planet not follow the patterns and behaviors of all other planets, including the behaviors of gravity?

General response is that Earth is not a planet, so Earth does not follow this pattern.

Some religious people says that the fact the Earth is special proves that the God exists. (BTW I'm atheist. Please reply saying the God exists. There is no evidence to prove that God exists).
Why believe in Flat Earth theory when there is so much evidence supporting Round Earth?

Flat Earth map cannot exist

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:43:57 PM »

Some argue that the entire Earth is accelerating forward constantly. This hypothesis says the gravity does not exist but it is this acceleration that keeps you on ground. This is called Universal Acceleration and you can take a look at wiki page.

There is another hypothesis saying the Earth is actually infinitely large plane. This is from the wiki
There are also other theories of flat earth thought that maintain that the earth sits on an infinite plane, with the sun moving overhead. Gravity works much like it does in a round-earth model, and the earth will never form into a sphere because the plane is endless.

General response is that Earth is not a planet, so Earth does not follow this pattern.

Some religious people says that the fact the Earth is special proves that the God exists. (BTW I'm atheist. Please reply saying the God exists. There is no evidence to prove that God exists).

Thank you, and I checked out the wiki, pretty fascinating all the theory that is there, but the only one that does not comply to reality is their theory of light and how it works. They claim that light travels in straight lines, when in reality if light only traveled in one straight line, it would change the very way we see, or even feel. In order for their theory to be true, a beam of light would have to be comprised of a single particle - not a particle/wave - this would cause major problems with how it interacts with molecules and atoms. Particle- light would cause catastrophic destruction to the structure of matter.

Is this theory based on other scientific concepts that conform with this reality, or is their theory in complete discord with known physics?

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 03:58:29 PM »

Thank you, and I checked out the wiki, pretty fascinating all the theory that is there, but the only one that does not comply to reality is their theory of light and how it works. They claim that light travels in straight lines, when in reality if light only traveled in one straight line, it would change the very way we see, or even feel. In order for their theory to be true, a beam of light would have to be comprised of a single particle - not a particle/wave - this would cause major problems with how it interacts with molecules and atoms. Particle- light would cause catastrophic destruction to the structure of matter.

Is this theory based on other scientific concepts that conform with this reality, or is their theory in complete discord with known physics?
I understand we're in a thread on Quantum Physics, but do remember that for most purposes it's safe to say that light travels in straight lines. There is no real major issue with stating that, and that is the commonly understood characteristic of light. I'm doubtful the page you are referencing is dealing with quantum level light. Thus saying light travels in straight lines is no real issue from my understanding.

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 04:04:06 PM »
I agree with CS. Straight line light often is a good assumption. Flat earth often is a good assumption.

Yes, refraction happens. Yes, we are living in the age of air and space travel. But approximations and simplifications are not utterly "false"; they just don't tell the whole story.
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 04:14:23 PM »

I understand we're in a thread on Quantum Physics, but do remember that for most purposes it's safe to say that light travels in straight lines. There is no real major issue with stating that, and that is the commonly understood characteristic of light. I'm doubtful the page you are referencing is dealing with quantum level light. Thus saying light travels in straight lines is no real issue from my understanding.

Visible Light is part of the Electromagnetic spectrum, traveling as a probability wave across any given distance, once it hits something, say an electron, its energy is transferred into that particle, causing the electron to jump to another higher energy state. When the electron jumps to a lower energy state, it gives off energy in the form of light.
This is where light comes from on the atomic level, which would not at all be possible if light was a particle. (traveled on a single straight line)

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 04:24:47 PM »
I know it seems slightly harsh but this is a sincere question.
Please understand, I am not bashing your beliefs, this question is merely to discover whether Flat Earth is majorly Philosophical, or another conspiracy for scientific reality. 
so I ask again.

IHaveSeveralQuestions

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »
Here's a general rule: FE's accept the parts of physics that support their theory. All other aspects of reality are replaced by alternate ideas, such as "gravity" by "universal acceleration." But I'm curious about a FE's perspective on this.

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 07:03:42 PM »
Here's a general rule: FE's accept the parts of physics that support their theory. All other aspects of reality are replaced by alternate ideas, such as "gravity" by "universal acceleration." But I'm curious about a FE's perspective on this.

Exactly, It would be interesting (and quite helpful) to know whether this whole flat earth belief is more philosophical/ religious/ tradition, or if it is rather another perspective of science with a conspiracy twist.

IHaveSeveralQuestions

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 07:21:21 PM »
Hmm. According the the FAQ, they aren't "officially" associated with any religion. I feel like a lot of FE's use the Bible to validate their claims, but it's generally a conspiracy theory that they're attempting to make accepted by any means, including science.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »
You’re at the wrong castle if you think this community ties religion to FET. 

IHaveSeveralQuestions

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 08:45:38 PM »
No, not this community, but several FE's do use religion as a piece of evidence.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 08:47:17 PM »
No, not this community, but several FE's do use religion as a piece of evidence.

Ah okay, then I’d suggest talking to those people if you want to use that as a topic of discussion.

IHaveSeveralQuestions

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 08:51:52 PM »
Dude, I'm not trying to make a discussion about religious Flat Earthers. I just answered a question by Havonii and you're taking it off topic.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »
Dude, I'm not trying to make a discussion about religious Flat Earthers. I just answered a question by Havonii and you're taking it off topic.

What topic is that? How the OP doesn’t understand the basics of quantum physics?

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »

What topic is that? How the OP doesn’t understand the basics of quantum physics?

No, this is an Inquiry of how it complies to, and works with quantum physics, not if FE believes in or know about it.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 09:09:14 PM »

No, this is an Inquiry of how it complies to, and works with quantum physics, not if FE believes in or know about it.

Interesting. Please point out the inquiry that is exclusive to quantum physics, then. Talking about basic properties of light really isn’t relevant to QM.

IHaveSeveralQuestions

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 09:23:47 PM »
junker we're having an educated conversation. If you're angry that this isn't "relevant" then move it somewhere you think is better instead of derailing the thread.