Recent Posts

Suggestions & Concerns / Re: Wiki Spam
« Last post by Pete Svarrior on March 24, 2024, 11:19:32 AM »
your and Pete's accounts
Are you certain about that? I manually reverted the vandalism, but I saw no evidence of my account making any malicious edits.

Also, it's worth keeping in mind that just reverting the database is likely not to be very effective on MediaWiki. It's at least plausible that some of the vandalism persisted in its cache, and that making an edit restored it.
« Last post by xasop on March 24, 2024, 01:13:33 AM »
Something funny seems to still be going on.
Agreed. I suspect a vulnerability in MediaWiki allowing someone to impersonate users, since the page you linked was defiled by your and Pete's accounts. I don't have time to investigate properly right now, so I've disabled POST requests in the web server configuration and restored the same backup again. This means that nobody will be able to log in or edit pages until this is properly dealt with, which will probably involve upgrading to the latest version of MediaWiki.
« Last post by DuncanDoenitz on March 23, 2024, 11:41:15 PM »
Many correspondents on these pages would contend that most of the Wiki's content is a load of old nonsense, but the fact is that FEers have devoted considerable time and effort to construct, amend and develop the information therein, and that it forms the public crystalisation of your credo. 

That some faceless, mindless morons can feck-around with it to this extent is, sadly, a typical electronic example of the modern vandalism that sees Banksies defaced, objects dropped from highway bridges, and so on. 

Sincerely hope that you can sort it out. 
« Last post by Tom Bishop on March 23, 2024, 06:17:09 PM »
Thank you.

Something funny seems to still be going on.

The Southern Hemisphere page from the outside looks fine: https://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=Southern_Hemisphere

But when I go to edit the Southern Hemisphere page I see this.

https://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=Southern_Hemisphere&action=edit

Cleared cache and tried it in a different browser with same result.
« Last post by xasop on March 20, 2024, 03:12:07 PM »
Thanks, I've restored a database backup from before these pages were created and deleted the user account that created them. Other recent changes since 3 March will also be gone, if there are any, but we can restore those as needed.
Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: Trump
« Last post by Action80 on March 19, 2024, 03:30:32 PM »
It's almost like they went with an insane fine that they knew not even a billionaire could afford because it's a political hit job.
You'd think someone worth....*searches*

https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/09/08/trump-overstated-net-worth-by-up-to-3point6-billion-per-year-ny-ag-alleges-in-new-filing.html?espv=1

$4.5 billion, per his claim, could cough up the money.

Practically no one has the cash on hand to pay 11% of their net worth to settle a civil suit. Further, it makes very little sense to get upset at someone for overstating their net worth, then fine them more money than you know they can afford (because you were upset at them for overstating their worth!).

It's an obvious attempt to make Trump look bad and it was a huge waste of time. The only thing this case has done to Trump's support is cement his narrative that the "deep state" is out to get him.

Wasn't the fine calculated based on the revenue lost to the bank?
What revenue?

Lost to what bank?
Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: Trump
« Last post by Lord Dave on March 19, 2024, 02:45:06 PM »
It's almost like they went with an insane fine that they knew not even a billionaire could afford because it's a political hit job.
You'd think someone worth....*searches*

https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/09/08/trump-overstated-net-worth-by-up-to-3point6-billion-per-year-ny-ag-alleges-in-new-filing.html?espv=1

$4.5 billion, per his claim, could cough up the money.

Practically no one has the cash on hand to pay 11% of their net worth to settle a civil suit. Further, it makes very little sense to get upset at someone for overstating their net worth, then fine them more money than you know they can afford (because you were upset at them for overstating their worth!).

It's an obvious attempt to make Trump look bad and it was a huge waste of time. The only thing this case has done to Trump's support is cement his narrative that the "deep state" is out to get him.

Wasn't the fine calculated based on the revenue lost to the bank?
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Last post by Rushy on March 19, 2024, 01:21:00 PM »
The core problem with a lot of open world games is that they have some extreme overarching storyline (e.g. the earth is about to collapse into a black hole!). Yet, the protagonist will often waste time doing some random nonsense on the world map, like delivering pizzas, solving a puzzle, or saving one single person from getting beat up.

As an example, one of the missions in Arkham Knight involves an ally being kidnapped and presumably tortured by a villain. However, Batman has no problem taking 10 minutes out of his day to solve some random riddle he found lying around the city. Obviously that's insane from a role-playing perspective, but open world games do this all the time; putting the player in a position where they can either pretend the main mission really is super duper important or they can ignore it to do the secondary story content. It always gives me a weird form of anxiety where I feel like I should be doing the important stuff instead.