Thork

VM problems
« on: February 27, 2014, 10:49:22 PM »
OK, so I've been off line because I reformatted my hard drive and installed Windows 8. Yuck.

But I needed it because I want to develop some Windows 8 apps.

So I installed win 8 no problems. I had to manually install my wireless for some reason I still don't know, but I'm on the internet as testiment it was the right thing to do.

I installed Win 8.1 Pro update.
I installed Win Phone SDK.
I installed Express visual studio 2012 for Phone.

Then I had issues.
First I had to enable DEP in my bios.
Then I had to set up a VM in hyper V

Now I have another bloody problem and I don't know how to fix.

If anyone does, could you let me know. I have googled the crap out of it and I can't get my phone emulator working.

Thork

Re: VM problems
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »
As below, you can see my hyper V set up and that my emulator will run in hyper v, but it won't connect to the internet. That makes testing apps virtually impossible.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:57:20 PM »
From what I've read, it looks like when you installed the wifi drivers manually, you may have created a hidden network adaptor. Look in device manager, and choose to show hidden devices. Delete all hidden things in the network adaptors which seemed to also have a non-hidden version.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 12:04:54 AM »
Install Linux and use libvirt with QEMU instead of Hyper-V. It works.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:28:16 AM »
Yeah, something has bridged your wireless already.
But if you're plugged into the Ethernet instead, it should work.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 10:43:29 PM »
And you don't think I will have further issues regarding the fact I'm trying to use Express Visual Studio 2012 with Linux?

Yeah, something has bridged your wireless already.
But if you're plugged into the Ethernet instead, it should work.
This I can't do. My PC is some 20m from the router.

From what I've read, it looks like when you installed the wifi drivers manually, you may have created a hidden network adaptor. Look in device manager, and choose to show hidden devices. Delete all hidden things in the network adaptors which seemed to also have a non-hidden version.
We have a winner!

Above hidden and unhidden. I'm scared. What don't I want?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:49:38 PM by Thork »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:55:10 PM »
And you don't think I will have further issues regarding the fact I'm trying to use Express Visual Studio 2012 with Linux?

Why not run that in a Windows VM?

Thork

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:27:24 PM »

Why not run that in a Windows VM?
So run windows in a VM, and then run a VM for the emulator as well as running visual studio and the windows sdk. My 4gb Ram will have a fit.

I don't suppose you know what network connections I might not need?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 11:35:16 PM »
So run windows in a VM, and then run a VM for the emulator as well as running visual studio and the windows sdk. My 4gb Ram will have a fit.

Why? It's exactly the same as what you currently run, plus a Linux system that takes up maybe 200 MB of RAM tops, since all you need is a lightweight desktop, libvirt, QEMU and (optionally, if you don't like writing XML) some graphical VM manager.

Thork

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 11:38:34 PM »
I have enough on my plate without wanting to install an obsolete idealistic operating system on my computer.

I want to code windows phone. Not spend my life begging you for advice on how to unzip a file or use my printer.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 11:42:27 PM »
I want to code windows phone. Not spend my life begging you for advice on how to unzip a file or use my printer.

I wish you the best of luck. Maybe soon you'll figure out how to make Windows's networking stack usable.

Thork

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 11:51:57 PM »
>:(

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 01:01:35 AM »
Parsifal's fix for your situation is to add another layer of headache while not fixing the actual problem.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 02:56:12 AM »
Looking at your device manager, it looks like you have 2 wireless cards.  Is that accurate?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 05:12:51 AM »
Thork would need to learn how GRUB works in order to use Linux.  This is not going to happen anytime soon. 

Thork

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 09:14:06 AM »
Looking at your device manager, it looks like you have 2 wireless cards.  Is that accurate?
Kind off but I'm only using the USB. The other is onboard wireless that frankly doesn't cut the mustard. I'd happily kill that one.

Thork

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 12:45:19 PM »
holy mother of God. That was almost impossible.

I finally managed to get hyper v on the internet, but the emulator still wouldn't run. Then I got the emulator to run, but it broke my regular internet connection and I couldn't find a network despite being on a network and the hyper v and emulator both able to access the internet. Then I got my regular internet working only to find it smashed all the connections to hyper v and the emulator again. Then I got invalid pointer errors.

Anyway, its finally all working. What a Th*rking mess that was. MS need to sort out configuration issues.

Thanks EnigmaZV. You kind of put me on the right track. And screw you Parsifal and your horrible Linux. >o<

Anyway, it works! :D

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »
holy mother of God. That was almost impossible.

I finally managed to get hyper v on the internet, but the emulator still wouldn't run. Then I got the emulator to run, but it broke my regular internet connection and I couldn't find a network despite being on a network and the hyper v and emulator both able to access the internet. Then I got my regular internet working only to find it smashed all the connections to hyper v and the emulator again. Then I got invalid pointer errors.

Anyway, its finally all working. What a Th*rking mess that was. MS need to sort out configuration issues.

Thanks EnigmaZV. You kind of put me on the right track. And screw you Parsifal and your horrible Linux. >o<

Anyway, it works! :D
So what was the final fix?  What did you have to remove?

Thork

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 01:39:26 PM »
There were about 6 fixes.

My MS ISATAP connection broke and needed re-adding, the extra wifi had to be removed, the vm needed repointing at the thing it was already pointing at (Christ knows why?), I had to uninstall and reinstall my usb wifi, rename it, remove old versions, point the emulator at that and generally faff about until all three worked.

If I had to do it all again, it would still take me yonks.

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 01:28:39 AM »
I'm glad I could help a bit. I know that Microsoft has made troubleshooting things much more difficult in their attempts to make the system more idiot-proof.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.