Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
NASA conspiracy
« on: October 19, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »
It makes me a little sad to think how many people say NASA is a fraud. 

This is one of the most profound photos ever taken.  Michael Collins took this from the Apollo XI command module.  The LEM with Armstrong and Aldrin and the earth.   It includes every human alive except one.  Collins himself.  How can you not be moved by this?

This was one of the most amazing things mankind has ever done. 

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: NASA conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:28:35 PM »

This is one of the most profound photos ever taken.  Michael Collins took this from the Apollo XI command module.  The LEM with Armstrong and Aldrin and the earth.   It includes every human alive except one.  Collins himself.  How can you not be moved by this?

All the more amazing because Tom assures us that the LEM was fabricated from cardboard and kitchen foil and held together with duct tape.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:01:26 PM »

Yes it is profound. I had seen that and similar pictures for years before reading a comment about all mankind being in the field of the picture except Collins. Very cool.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 03:38:52 AM »

Yes it is profound. I had seen that and similar pictures for years before reading a comment about all mankind being in the field of the picture except Collins. Very cool.

Of course, in RET, if you stand on even a modest hill - when there are no airplanes nearby and the ISS is not overhead - then using a 180 degree fish-eye lens - you could take a photo in which all of mankind was in the field of the picture except you yourself!

It sounded more impressive when Collins said it!
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 03:42:04 AM »

Of course, in RET, if you stand on even a modest hill - when there are no airplanes nearby and the ISS is not overhead - then using a 180 degree fish-eye lens - you could take a photo in which all of mankind was in the field of the picture except you yourself!

It sounded more impressive when Collins said it!
It's a shame that the flat Earth isn't rectangular, so you could go to one of the corners for that picture.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 10:25:23 PM »
The picture doesn’t just include all living humans but one - it also includes all dead humans too.