7 (70%)
iPhone
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 04, 2017, 04:40:57 AM

Elusive Rabbit

Which Phone Are You Using?
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:40:57 AM »
I'm currently using a BlackBerry PRIV. I dig it, plus I got it rather cheap.

What are you all using?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Which Phone Are You Using?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 04:50:30 AM »
I went on a phone escapade a few months ago. Had an iPhone 6, tried a Nexus 5X but gave that to SU. Got a HTC 10, but couldn't adapt to android again as it had been several years. Got an iPhone 7, had it for a night. Wasn't much different than the 6 for my use  so I couldn't justify the $800+ I spent on it.

Returned everything and am back on my iPhone 6.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Which Phone Are You Using?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 04:56:06 AM »
OnePlus 2. It's decent hardware (and dual SIM, which will be nice when I'm travelling), shame about Android getting worse every release.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Elusive Rabbit

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 05:08:06 AM »
shame about Android getting worse every release.
I'm not familiar enough with the software to know if, or why, it would be getting worse with every release.

Why would you say it has been getting worse?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 05:19:27 AM »

Because he is Parsifal.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 03:06:13 PM »
OnePlus 2. It's decent hardware (and dual SIM, which will be nice when I'm travelling), shame about Android getting worse every release.
Same here, except in my view the software has only been getting better. The dual SIM comes in handy when you make consistent use of two numbers.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 03:23:52 PM »
Also repping OnePlus 2

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 04:03:52 PM »
HTC ONE M9.
I replaced the blinkfeed homescreen cause I hate it.  Otherwise, solid phone.  Takes a lot of punishment.  My vibration is dead though and I don't wanna open it up to fix it.  But it gets dropped alot (in a good shock absorbent case) so...
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 07:57:26 PM »

Their development priorities are all wrong. They keep introducing pointless things, like widgets that appear by default on the lock screen. As far as I'm concerned, locking my phone means nobody should be able to do anything with it (by default). If I configure widgets to be usable in that state, that's my business.

They also keep moving things around and changing the basic ways to accomplish the same thing. Like, there's now no silent mode (unless you count turning the ring volume all the way down), but you can turn notifications off, which is the same thing with a different name. In the particular case of the OnePlus 2, they introduced a hardware button for that, so none of the guides you find by Googling on how to turn off notifications work since there isn't a software switch. It took me months after obtaining this phone to even work out that's what the hardware switch is for, since Android had successfully trained me to expect everything to be in software.

I wouldn't be so salty about them introducing new pointless features if they were actually introducing features I cared about -- like, say, the ability to trust a package manager that isn't Google Play, so you can install third-party software without having to approve each individual package. Or the ability to have gapless playback just work through the Android audio API, rather than that being a "feature" individual music players need to implement themselves.

None of the things that have bothered me about Android from the beginning are getting any attention, and meanwhile all the basic things I do every day and shouldn't have to think about are changing with each new release. It's an absolute nightmare.

Finally, all this new code they're writing for no good reason is full of security vulnerabilities. Android is well known as a lump of Swiss cheese you carry around in your pocket. Rather than doing what most projects do and leaving security bugs fixed, they keep renewing their codebase and creating more. I simply don't trust my phone not to get hacked anymore.

The dual SIM comes in handy when you make consistent use of two numbers.

I'm expecting it to be useful when travelling internationally, even when using more than two numbers. I can swap SIM cards at the hotel and have my phone work throughout the day's journey. No more fumbling around with SIM cards at airports when I need to contact someone.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 08:36:41 PM »
I'm gonna Echo SW.  None of what you said is accurate, unless your phone's manufacturer has a custom homescreen setup.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
unless your phone's manufacturer has a custom homescreen setup.
Parsifal and I are using the same model of phone. Our setups should be rather similar.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 09:19:52 PM »
widgets that appear by default on the lock screen
I haven't witnessed that. I've made virtually no changes to my lock screen since I got the phone, and I'm not seeing any widgets.

I think I may have been recalling something that appeared on the shitfone I bought while in Europe. It's long enough ago that I don't recall precisely what the widget did, I just realised I could do something with the phone locked that I didn't want to be there. I wish I could recall more specifics.

Like, there's now no silent mode (unless you count turning the ring volume all the way down)
My phone is literally on silent mode right now, I just moved the left-hand-side slider to the top position. ???

Mine calls this "no interruptions" mode.

Googling on how to turn off notifications work since there isn't a software switch.
??? ??? ???

Yes, fair enough. I think I was Googling for "silent mode android" or something, foolishly assuming that all Android phones would behave alike.

It took me months after obtaining this phone to even work out that's what the hardware switch is for
You could have just tried flicking it and seeing what happens.

I did that, and as far as I could see at the time, nothing happened.

Or reading the phone's description prior to obtaining it.

After trying the switch and not seeing anything happen, I just decided to ignore it.

I've been using an alternative app store without having to approve each individual package -- well, not beyond the standard permissions approval that every package goes through.

What about the facility to restore all packages that you had previously approved when you get a new phone? I know Google Play can do that, but with F-Droid you need to install each one individually because Android insists on confirming their installation.

This (and the security complaint, although no secure alternative exists) is the only issue so far that I don't outright disagree with.

Tizen (as well as its cousin, SailfishOS) looks promising as an alternative, though I'm no expert on its security model.

I'm particularly unsympathetic towards you complaining that you failed up to look up what a switch does. Like, dude.

My complaint was more that basic functionality like that shouldn't change from release to release. I already knew how to put an Android phone into silent mode. Why do I have to look it up again?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:26:22 PM by Parsifal »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 10:34:19 PM »
My complaint was more that basic functionality like that shouldn't change from release to release. I already knew how to put an Android phone into silent mode. Why do I have to look it up again?
Well, it's two different pieces of hardware. Running a similar operating system doesn't necessarily mean everything will be identical.
e: I may have misunderstood your comment the first time around. If your complaint is about the changes in user interface between different software releases, I don't necessarily disagree. I think interface changes should at least be optional. However, they're usually small enough not to be a major issue, and you can replace pretty much every element of the UI with something that suits your needs better.

Mine calls this "no interruptions" mode.
Curious, that used to be the case some time ago, but an update changed it [:^) :^) :^)] in response to feedback from users.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 10:36:42 PM by SexWarrior »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 10:57:41 PM »
Curious, that used to be the case some time ago, but an update changed it [:^) :^) :^)] in response to feedback from users.

My phone has been unable to install updates for about a year, ever since I installed a custom recovery. Apparently OnePlus's recovery is essential to the update process and you just get dumped into the custom recovery if you replace it, with no way to complete the update.

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 11:55:46 PM »
been using a nexus 6p for ~6 months.  mostly switched to move over to google fi, but i dig the phone just fine.  i mostly dig my super cheap phone bill.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S5 that I hate because it's old and dumb, and I'm planning to get a Google Pixel XL (128GB) in the next month.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 06:46:36 AM »
My iPhone 6 Plus has been dunked in water twice, and dropped on concrete twice without a case. It has been surviving and functioning normally with a strip of clear packing tape keeping the cracked glass intact. However, for the past few days the screen has been glitching out, and has been non-responsive to touch several times. I think the battle damage is finally taking its toll. I've been looking for a new phone, and I'm trying to decide between the 6s and the SE. But I was just looking at the OnePlus 2 and it actually looks p dope af.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:49:51 AM by Hollocron »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 09:52:21 AM »
I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S5 that I hate because it's old and dumb

If only someone had warned you about Samsung phones.

Elusive Rabbit

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »
My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy S5. I liked it a lot, minus the too bubbly and colorful OS.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
I have a Galaxy S4 Mini. I like smaller phones.