Rama Set

Recent Experiments Proving a FE
« on: September 25, 2014, 07:01:16 PM »
Has there been an experiment done recently that demonstrates the Earth is disc-like rather than a spheroid?

I would be interested in seeing a write-up of any such experiment so it could be thoroughly discussed.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Experiments Proving a FE
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »
Has there been an experiment done recently that demonstrates the Earth is disc-like rather than a spheroid?

I would be interested in seeing a write-up of any such experiment so it could be thoroughly discussed.

I believe several people have performed modern Bedford experiments. Tom has, for example. It's made more difficult by Bedford Canal no longer existing. Tom actually has several experiments demonstrating planarity. There's also a wiki page about experimental evidence, although I will grant you that some of it is rather contrived.

That said, I don't see why you're specifying that experiments must be modern. The truth has no expiration date.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Rama Set

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 08:01:21 PM »

I believe several people have performed modern Bedford experiments. Tom has, for example. It's made more difficult by Bedford Canal no longer existing. Tom actually has several experiments demonstrating planarity. There's also a wiki page about experimental evidence, although I will grant you that some of it is rather contrived.

That said, I don't see why you're specifying that experiments must be modern. The truth has no expiration date.

Rowbotham's BLE and the successful Wallace experiment have been done to death, so I thought I would inquire about something I was not aware of.  The experiments on the Wiki are terrible, to be frank.

Is there any documentation for Tom's experiment?  Are you talking about the Monterey Bay case?

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 12:31:46 AM »

Rowbotham's BLE and the successful Wallace experiment have been done to death, so I thought I would inquire about something I was not aware of.  The experiments on the Wiki are terrible, to be frank.

I'll agree that some of them are. The Kansas pancake one, for example, I think is good for entertainment purposes only

Is there any documentation for Tom's experiment?  Are you talking about the Monterey Bay case?

I'm... not entirely sure. I'd do a search of the old forum but I'm afraid of crashing it. You'd be better off talking to him about it.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 01:03:31 AM »

I'm... not entirely sure. I'd do a search of the old forum but I'm afraid of crashing it. You'd be better off talking to him about it.
About the only "documentation" that I've ever been able to get out of Tom are reassurances that he's done it many times, in many locations and under a variety of conditions.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 04:39:03 AM »

About the only "documentation" that I've ever been able to get out of Tom are reassurances that he's done it many times, in many locations and under a variety of conditions.

I believe it. Tom is a trustworthy man and a true role model. If he claims something to be true I see no reason to doubt him.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:19:15 AM »
This confirms there have been no recent experiments to show a flat earth.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »
I believe it. Tom is a trustworthy man and a true role model. If he claims something to be true I see no reason to doubt him.
Of course, the wiki entry is needlessly in the third person, and that alone diminishes its value.

Simple calculations demonstrate that Tom was dishonest in the original report. His claim that he lied on the beach at sea level with a reflector telescope and managed to hold an image steady by hand is unbelievable.

Now consider the Airy disk. Since light acts as a wave, diffraction would limit Tom's view as well. Indeed in the earth's atmosphere, the resolution angle would be limited to lambda/diameter, where lambda is the light's wavelength and diameter is the diameter of the aperture of the telescope. Let's go with lambda of 0.0000005 m, diameter of 0.1 m, and a distance of 37 km.

So the angle of the smallest object Tom could resolve with that very large telescope would be 0.00035o. At 37 km, the smallest object Tom could possibly identify with that very large telescope would be 13 m. His outlandish claim otherwise is, simply and entirely, a lie.

References: and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_disk.

Excel work:
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »

Perhaps he was simply mistaken?  Human's make these sorts of errors all the time which is why documentation is necessary.