Yaakov ben Avraham

Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #240 on: September 03, 2014, 10:53:34 PM »
Lemon, that is correct.

« Reply #241 on: September 03, 2014, 10:59:08 PM »
OK imma put "Israelis" is scare quotes too.

Because they're only Jews living in Palestine under unique conditions.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 03, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »
Since The United States rightfully belongs to England, I'm going to start referring to its occupants as "American"s".
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #243 on: September 04, 2014, 12:46:27 AM »
The word "Palestine" was invented by the Romans after they defeated the Jews and exiled most of them (not all) from the Land. The renamed the Land "Syria Palestina" to indicate that it was under the ultimate authority of the Syrian governorate.

If there has EVER, at any time, been a "State of Palestine", at any time in history, I will hand you a map. You will point to me where this internationally recognised state existed. And no, Philistia does not count, because the residents were not Arabs, as the current residents are.

You will tell me what kind of government ruled there. You will tell me the names of any leaders they had before Yassir Arafat. You will be able to inform me of the currency they used. You will tell me of their history, the wars they fought and won or lost, and the territory gained or lost as a result thereof.

Surely, these basic questions would not be hard to answer if there ever was an independent "Palestine" in history.

Oh, I'm sorry. You can't? Why not? Oh, because there never was such a state. Really. So if such a state never existed, then how does a nationality called "Palestinian" come to exist? Nationalities exist because nations exist that contain them. So, if "Palestine" was never a nation, then there were never "Palestinians", but only Arabs residing in a territory that the Romans once called "Syria Palestina".

So, now you look like a schmuck.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 04, 2014, 01:15:05 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Palestine

It seems to exist, but only as a de jure state.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #245 on: September 04, 2014, 02:33:43 AM »
It exists only because some liberal western mind says it does. Like I said, name me one of its leaders before Arafat. Tell me what currency it used or uses? What form of government did it ever have in history? What wars has it ever won or lost? What other history has occurred that has affected this putative "State of Palestine"? Who, other than the UN, gave the "State of Palestine" any legitimacy at all? And before you say that the UN gave Israel legitimacy, to be honest, that is bullshit.

Israel established her territory, declared independence, and fought a war against five Arab armies to maintain that independence. All the UN did was acknowledge the already existing facts on the ground. Even if it hadn't, Israel would likely have told the UN to go fuck itself.

The UN is a waste of time and resources. It serves no purpose except to give tyrants a place to put themselves on display. The building in the US should be evacuated and imploded. The US should strike the buildings in Switzerland and the ICC in the Hague, after giving everybody a day's notice to exit the area. That accomplished, then the West should stop pussyfooting around with cowards who chop off heads of innocent journalists. In return for one journalist, we should go to Iraq, round up 100 ISIS sympathisers, and shoot them.

It IS that simple.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 04, 2014, 02:41:40 AM »
You really need to work on your ability to say relevant things.

It exists only because some liberal western mind says it does.

Political borders can only be created by people. God doesn't give out land.

« Reply #247 on: September 04, 2014, 03:02:00 AM »
The UN is the only reason Israel actually exists today and you know it.  Had the UN not given the Jews Israel and they were to try to invade Palestine to form their nation, they would have been rightfully slaughtered for being aggressors trying to steal other people's rightfully owned land.  You even mentioned that the Jews were defeated and kicked out of Israel by the Romans, last time I checked that means they lost all previous claims.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #248 on: September 04, 2014, 03:22:58 AM »
Given that even though most Jews were exiled from "Syria Palestina", but NOT all, and that Jews never gave up claim to the Land, they never did lose previous claims. The UN only recognised the accomplished fact that Israel had already achieved by declaring independence and then fighting a war against five invading armies and winning it. So no, they DID fight that war to form their nation, and they were NOT slaughtered, rightfully or not. They actually won. You aren't that bright, are you?

If you don't believe in God, that is your issue. I choose to accept that God DOES indeed give out land. It sounds like the problem is yours, not mine.

« Reply #249 on: September 04, 2014, 03:59:09 AM »
The belief that God gave land to any group is what will continue the strife there. 

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #250 on: September 04, 2014, 05:52:38 AM »
Sounds like personal issues to me.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 04, 2014, 05:57:42 AM »
Sorry Yaakov, but it appears your god just gave me your land. I'm giving you a fair warning to leave right now or I viciously murder you. This is okay and morally sound because I'm warning you first.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2014, 06:15:30 AM »
IRUSH, my recommendation is that you see a psychiatrist. So far as I know, the only People in history ever to be so honoured were the Jews. Granted, a case MIGHT be made for the Japanese with their native Shinto Faith. As a Jew, I know ONLY what God has taught me, and expects of me and my People. We know nothing about what he has or has not taught non-Jews, and what he does or does NOT expect from them, aside from following the Noahide Laws, which we know he expects of all humans.

And since the Revelation on Mt. Sinai was to 2 million people, and not just to Moses, I trust it a lot more than I do your purported nonsense. So, yes. Do see a psychiatrist. Soon.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2014, 06:17:11 AM »
IRUSH, my recommendation is that you see a psychiatrist. So far as I know, the only People in history ever to be so honoured were the Jews. Granted, a case MIGHT be made for the Japanese with their native Shinto Faith. As a Jew, I know ONLY what God has taught me, and expects of me and my People. We know nothing about what he has or has not taught non-Jews, and what he does or does NOT expect from them, aside from following the Noahide Laws, which we know he expects of all humans.

And since the Revelation on Mt. Sinai was to 2 million people, and not just to Moses, I trust it a lot more than I do your purported nonsense. So, yes. Do see a psychiatrist. Soon.

Oh, I see. You, personally, pick and choose who God talks to. That sounds like a sin to me. Hold on, let me ask God, who is currently appearing to me in the form of a rainbow colored unicorn.

God says that is undoubtedly a sin.

Ghost of V

« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2014, 06:20:25 AM »

Damn. 2 million people? No possible way Judaism could be wrong now.

Why don't such miracles and revelations happen in modern times? Has Yahweh abandoned us?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2014, 06:21:54 AM »
That is not at all what I said, but you will be a schmuck and interpret it that way. God chooses who he speaks to. But until I start seeing real evidence, like Scriptures, and whole new philosophies and nations rising from your purported visions, I won't hold my breath. VAUXHALL, I'll get to your question tomorrow, since it is legitimate.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2014, 10:25:51 AM »
LORD DAVE, as soon as I am feeling better, I shall access my books. The prayers of the Siddur assumed FINAL FORM around 500 years ago. Since then, the book hasn't altered. However, most of the prayers in it go back much further, 1000, 1500, even 2000 or more years.

Yes, I do see your problem. Knowing how expensive those books are, I wouldn't want to purchase them either unless I had some use for them beyond a discussion with someone online. I have the Baum Siddur that I got hold of here and there, the content of which is basically the same as the Artscroll. Only the Introduction and whatnot would be different. The footnoting might also be different.

I'll see what I can find in the next few days when I feel better. Not today though. For the moment, I shall withdraw my accusation of your not being that bright. (:
Wait.  How do you not know the prayer name?  Or even a quote?  Aren't you Jewish?  Do you not recite it?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2014, 11:15:49 AM »
I'm Jewish, yes. But I've only been observant the last few years. And Hebrew is NOT my first language by any means. I can recite it fine in Shul. But I don't read the alphabet well, and prefer to use transliterated versions of the Siddur when I can get them. As for prayer titles, prayers usually get the titles of whatever their first word in Hebrew is. Because my Hebrew is questionable, I have to look that kind of thing up. I was able to find my Baum Prayer Books. I shall look up that information when my medication starts working, and I stop coughing.

Rama Set

« Reply #258 on: September 04, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »
Nothing like a fly by night Zionist.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #259 on: September 04, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
It should be noted as per the rather comical video on page 10 that no one ever really claimed the land as their home except the Jews. The Romans regarded it as a backwater province of the Empire that they hated being sent to and considered it a punishment if they were. The Muslim empires, Arab and Turkish, felt likewise. The Crusaders regarded the land as holy because Jesus came from there, but no one in their right mind wanted to stay. They all wanted to conquer it, and then return to Europe and let some other poor bastard have the job of governing the place. Only the Jews have EVER wanted the land as uniquely their own, until VERY recently, when the Arabs living there suddenly, without notice or historical precedent, started calling themselves "Palestinians". This term did not even exist until after the nationality was made up for it. Previously, the Arabs had been Egyptians in the Gaza Strip and Jordanians in the West Bank. It was only when Israel conquered these territories in the Six Day War, and even later, when both Egypt and Jordan gave up claims to the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, that the term "Palestinian" began to be bandied about. Yassir Arafat was born in Cairo, served in the Egyptian Armed Forces, and went to college in Cairo. That makes him, by pretty much every definition of the word, an Egyptian citizen. Inventing a new nationality, no matter how nice it sounds, simply doesn't work.

And let's be honest enough to admit it. Arabs and Jews don't fucking like each other. All this shit about sitting around a campfire holding hands and singing "Cumbaya" might work fine in fairy tales, but they don't work in the hard core reality of real life. Netanyahu said it correctly, whether you love him or hate him. "We (the Israelis) live in a tough neighbourhood." We can prattle on about whether Israel should or should not exist, and whether Arabs should or should not be in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, and yada, yada, yada. But the FACTS, my friends, are as follows:

1. Israel DOES exist. There is nothing that is going to occur that will stop it from existing. (a), it has the support of the United States, which it will always have, because there are enough Jews here to influence the government through AIPAC and so-forth. (b), there are enough Christian Zionists who also, for their own weird reasons, support Israel and also influence the government. (c) Israel has what is pretty much the best trained functional military in the world. Anyone who fucks with it ends up being turned into dogmeat. (d) Israel's continued existence will be guaranteed by the more moderate regimes of the Middle East, such as Jordan, Egypt, Turkey, and even Saudi Arabia, because, as much as these countries despise Jews, they know that the so-called "Palestinians" under Hamas or even under the PA are a bunch of pond scum that can't govern themselves. They know that "Palestinians" are all, for the most part, wannabe terrorists in training to blow shit up. Anybody who dresses up their baby in suicide bomber gear is fucked up, and these nations know that.

2. There is no possibility of a "Palestinian" State alongside Israel. Egypt doesn't trust it to exist in the Gaza Strip, Jordan doesn't want it in the West Bank, and Israel doesn't want it anywhere. No other part of the world wants it either, for the above reasons.

I would continue, but I have to run. An important phone call just came in. Chat with you all later.