Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #2700 on: April 27, 2018, 10:26:54 AM »
What do you know about the current state of affairs inside North Korea? Considering how insular they are, I’m going to bet you don’t know anything.
Only what escapees have said.

Look, the meeting went super well.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/27/606264786/peace-at-hand-korean-leaders-meet-for-historic-border-handshake

And yes, it could have been nothing about Trump but given that China is NK's main source of everything, the only reason I can think of that they would suddenly be feeling the pinch is if China was the one pinching.  Cause it's not like they give a damn about the general population.

And on another note...
https://www.npr.org/2018/04/27/606230683/despite-so-much-winning-the-right-feels-like-its-losing

I see this alot.  And ya know what I say?
Sucks don't it?  Now you know how gays, minorities, transgender, and basically every sub-group you've told are less than you, feels.  Suck it up ya pussies. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:31:19 AM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #2701 on: April 27, 2018, 12:20:03 PM »
What do you know about the current state of affairs inside North Korea? Considering how insular they are, I’m going to bet you don’t know anything.
Only what escapees have said.

Look, the meeting went super well.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/27/606264786/peace-at-hand-korean-leaders-meet-for-historic-border-handshake

And yes, it could have been nothing about Trump but given that China is NK's main source of everything, the only reason I can think of that they would suddenly be feeling the pinch is if China was the one pinching.  Cause it's not like they give a damn about the general population.

Yeah maybe.

And on another note...
https://www.npr.org/2018/04/27/606230683/despite-so-much-winning-the-right-feels-like-its-losing

I see this alot.  And ya know what I say?
Sucks don't it?  Now you know how gays, minorities, transgender, and basically every sub-group you've told are less than you, feels.  Suck it up ya pussies.

This is the exact type of bullying behavior that is supposed to be so terrible on the right. Why do so many left wing people think this is ok, productive or in general anything other than douchebaggery? By pretty much every metric conceivable the left wing agenda is gaining ground. Should people on the right see that as losing? No. Should left wing people be smug about it like you and so many others currently are? No as well.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: April 27, 2018, 04:34:45 PM »
The problem is that even mildly conservative or center-right views (such as gun registration instead of bans) seems to be absent from popular commentary coming out of places like Hollywood. We all know that California is a bastion of hard left, and also having the same state be more or less the source of nearly all forms of media has exacerbated the division in politics. The result is that any right-leaning individual receives the perception that their ideas are under constant attack. And these aren't intelligent attacks, either. It's the Colberts of the world who don't offer any intelligent commentary, but rather just blunt "haha you're a big stupid".

It's driving center-right and others with right-leaning beliefs into the arms of extremists, because from their perspective there is no one else that is offering an outlet for their opinions. It's why, despite Republicans winning all over the nation, controlling nearly every state legislature and federal regulatory body, that Republican voters still feel under siege.

The media of the left is quite literally killing the left inside the US. You can't stop a political opponent by poking fun at and galvanizing its supporters.  Otherwise, you've reduced the political landscape to memes and jokes, so you can't be surprised when someone like Trump turns up and memes his way into the White House because it's the lesser evil.

Take the news for example. What's a mainstream right-leaning media outlet? Fox. Alright, name another? Mysteriously missing. But then think about some left-leaning mainstream outlets and you can immediately name CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post, New York Times, NPR, etc.

This is how you end up with people reading Breitbart. They don't have any good options and so the right is being driven towards more extreme outlets for commentary on current events. It's also how you end up with Fox controlling the lion's share of viewership.

The American left currently has a massive advantage when it comes to media output and message control, and yet they keep ceding territory to the Republicans because vast swathes of the country have been driven into propaganda outlets for just a tiny iota of opinions that reflect their own ethics and worldview.

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: April 30, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »
Otherwise, you've reduced the political landscape to memes and jokes
>implying that that is not the intended result all along
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: April 30, 2018, 05:21:52 PM »
The President of Peace has done it again. God bless America and God bless President Donald J. Trump!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/04/30/trump-nobel-peace-prize-south-korean-leader-moon/564183002/
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: April 30, 2018, 05:31:27 PM »

You keep giving him props for this. Do you have any evidence that correlation=causation here? Why not credit the Olympics? Or international sanctions finally taking their toll?

Pete's USAToday post pretty much sums up the evidence.
Fucking South Korea is like "Yeah, Trump did this.  Give him the Nobel Peace Prize."

And this is both great and frightening.
Great because, well, peace.  I'm gonna say give it to him.  Even if the talks fail, it was still more than other presidents have done.
Frightening because this basically validates that if you want peace, threaten to erradicate the other side until you either destroy them or they bow to your might.  Might makes right.  I don't like that life lesson.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:09:45 PM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #2706 on: April 30, 2018, 05:57:00 PM »

You keep giving him props for this. Do you have any evidence that correlation=causation here? Why not credit the Olympics? Or international sanctions finally taking their toll?

Rushy's USAToday post pretty much sums up the evidence.
Fucking South Korea is like "Yeah, Trump did this.  Give him the Nobel Peace Prize."

Great because, well, peace.  I'm gonna say give it to him.  Even if the talks fail, it was still more than other presidents have done.
Frightening because this basically validates that if you want peace, threaten to erradicate the other side until you either destroy them or they bow to your might.  Might makes right.  I don't like that life lesson.

Well fuck me. I think Trump’s approach might not work with everyone (like Putin) but I was wrong here. GL Donald!

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: April 30, 2018, 06:08:26 PM »

Well fuck me. I think Trump’s approach might not work with everyone (like Putin) but I was wrong here. GL Donald!
Well, Old Teddy Rosevelt did say "speak softly and carry a big stick".  This is "Tweet angry and threaten to nuke them".

Next thing you know he'll threaten to nuke California if they don't stop voting liberals and destroying America.

« Reply #2708 on: April 30, 2018, 06:12:46 PM »
i don't get how anyone could possibly think that trump's tweets motivated north korean peace talks.

i also don't get the general lack of skepticism that any of this good will from the dprk is genuine, or that these talks (that haven't happened yet) will definitely lead to a denuclearized peninsula.  those probably aren't reasonable assumptions.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: April 30, 2018, 06:14:13 PM »

In Dave's mind, me and Pete are the same person.

Rama Set

« Reply #2710 on: April 30, 2018, 08:31:46 PM »
i don't get how anyone could possibly think that trump's tweets motivated north korean peace talks.

i also don't get the general lack of skepticism that any of this good will from the dprk is genuine, or that these talks (that haven't happened yet) will definitely lead to a denuclearized peninsula.  those probably aren't reasonable assumptions.

I doubt that Trump influenced this solely with Tweets. But if the Korean PM publicly attributed Trump with moving this process forward then I am inclined to believe it. I also don’t think that North Korea is motivated solely by altruism. Self-preservation and Kim Jong Un’s desire for Lucky Charms probably play a factor as well.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: April 30, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »

In Dave's mind, me and Pete are the same person.

>_>

God Damnit!

*edits*

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: April 30, 2018, 09:11:57 PM »

Yeah, what rama said.  It's basically:

"Trump is threatening to kill us again."
"So?"
"So, he's a batshit crazy guy who could kill someone and not lose any voters.  You really think he wouldn't invade us and kill you, sir?"
".... Get me Moon."

« Reply #2713 on: April 30, 2018, 10:05:18 PM »
in august, trump threatened to bring down "fire and fury" on nk if they continued to threaten the us.  then in september, nk tested its largest nuke to date and drew literally zero response from trump.

why would nk believe that trump is omg totally serious this time?  other than the beavado of trump's tweets, actual foreign policy toward nk hasn't changed at all. 
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: April 30, 2018, 10:06:55 PM »
in august, trump threatened to bring down "fire and fury" on nk if they continued to threaten the us.  then in september, nk tested its largest nuke to date and drew literally zero response from trump.

why would nk believe that trump is omg totally serious this time?  other than the beavado of trump's tweets, actual foreign policy toward nk hasn't changed at all.

I'd wager China.
Trump came down hard on them too.

Also, we don't know what was going on behind the scenes.  For all we know, there could have been a massive US military force buidup in the area.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: May 01, 2018, 03:57:38 AM »
The problem is that even mildly conservative or center-right views (such as gun registration instead of bans) seems to be absent from popular commentary coming out of places like Hollywood. We all know that California is a bastion of hard left, and also having the same state be more or less the source of nearly all forms of media has exacerbated the division in politics. The result is that any right-leaning individual receives the perception that their ideas are under constant attack. And these aren't intelligent attacks, either. It's the Colberts of the world who don't offer any intelligent commentary, but rather just blunt "haha you're a big stupid".

The media of the left is quite literally killing the left inside the US. You can't stop a political opponent by poking fun at and galvanizing its supporters.  Otherwise, you've reduced the political landscape to memes and jokes, so you can't be surprised when someone like Trump turns up and memes his way into the White House because it's the lesser evil.

Garbage political commentary has literally always been a thing. It's not a new phenomenon, and it's certainly not a liberal one. Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage, to give just two examples, have been shitting up political discourse since long before Colbert became famous, and with commentary that I think even you'd agree was far cruder and less intelligent than anything he's ever said.

Take the news for example. What's a mainstream right-leaning media outlet? Fox. Alright, name another? Mysteriously missing.

There's also The Wall Street Journal, National Review, and the Chicago Tribune, along with plenty of more local outlets. The majority of political talk radio shows skew conservative as well, with the aforementioned Limbaugh and Savage being very prominent (and popular) examples.  Even your example of Fox standing alone among cable news channels is complicated by the fact that it regularly gets higher ratings than all its competitors. Conservative media is thriving.

It's driving center-right and others with right-leaning beliefs into the arms of extremists, because from their perspective there is no one else that is offering an outlet for their opinions. It's why, despite Republicans winning all over the nation, controlling nearly every state legislature and federal regulatory body, that Republican voters still feel under siege.

This is how you end up with people reading Breitbart. They don't have any good options and so the right is being driven towards more extreme outlets for commentary on current events. It's also how you end up with Fox controlling the lion's share of viewership.

The American left currently has a massive advantage when it comes to media output and message control, and yet they keep ceding territory to the Republicans because vast swathes of the country have been driven into propaganda outlets for just a tiny iota of opinions that reflect their own ethics and worldview.

I don't think I agree with this, but even if I did, how does it make any sense to blame the left for mainstream conservative media failing to reach certain conservative audiences?
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: May 02, 2018, 04:39:11 PM »
Of course not. I suspect he also dictated the results of Ronny Jackson's examination of him at the start of the year, the one that apparently showed that Trump was a genius and in perfect health.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: May 02, 2018, 04:42:08 PM »
Garbage political commentary has literally always been a thing. It's not a new phenomenon, and it's certainly not a liberal one. Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage, to give just two examples, have been shitting up political discourse since long before Colbert became famous, and with commentary that I think even you'd agree was far cruder and less intelligent than anything he's ever said.

I never claimed it suddenly came into existence. I was pointing out that it is now more prevalent than ever before, not that Yellow Journalism was invented in 2014.

There's also The Wall Street Journal, National Review, and the Chicago Tribune, along with plenty of more local outlets. The majority of political talk radio shows skew conservative as well, with the aforementioned Limbaugh and Savage being very prominent (and popular) examples.  Even your example of Fox standing alone among cable news channels is complicated by the fact that it regularly gets higher ratings than all its competitors. Conservative media is thriving.

My entire point was how you're driving people towards a single source, e.g. Fox, versus a wide variety. Also, the majority of political talk shows do not skew conservative. The reason you've heard of Limbaugh is because there are so few conservative talk shows that the ones that do surface tend to stick out in your mind. Turn on a talk show in a major US city and it will almost certainly be left-leaning.

I don't think I agree with this, but even if I did, how does it make any sense to blame the left for mainstream conservative media failing to reach certain conservative audiences?

I'm blaming media for continuing to oust alternative views and in all fairness, both sides do this, but because the left outnumbers the right by such a large margin, they stand to gain the most by ensuring message control, and gain the least by allowing for alternative views.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: May 02, 2018, 05:20:54 PM »
The flip side on the media is that Fox controls such a large portion that they'd likely not want to let other networks exist.  When you have a monopoly on conservative mainstream media, why the hell would you want anyone else to get in on it?

The parties are the same.  The Tea Party is basically just "Republicans" instead of being a separate party.
Probably a Democrat version too but I don't know what or when.