Offline model 29

• View Profile
Is there a newer OS that reliably plays older games?
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »
XP sure, but I'm looking at getting a used windows 7 laptop with more power than my current Vista POS (being able to edit, or even view, my gopro videos would be nice), however I've had too many problems getting Battlefield 1942/vietnam and Starcraft 1 to work on my friend's windows 7 machine.  I figure my chances are 50/50 of getting something that will run the games I want to run. 

Anyone have luck using an xp emulator or such in windows 7 home?  I see pro and enterprise have an xp mode option, but all the used computers I seem to find are all home edition.

I don't know much about Ubuntu, and windows 10... yeah right.  Too cheap to buy a new computer anyway.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a newer OS that reliably plays older games?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 07:05:24 PM »
If you're having problems getting Starcraft 1 to run on Windows 7 then that's a bad case of there being a significant problem in the space between the keyboard and the chair.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:21:30 PM »
Yeah, starcraft 1 works just fine. What problems do you encounter?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 09:08:09 PM »
If you're having problems getting Starcraft 1 to run on Windows 7 then that's a bad case of there being a significant problem in the space between the keyboard and the chair.
I guess installing a game and having it run normal is just too much to ask of a "great" OS.

Yeah, starcraft 1 works just fine. What problems do you encounter?
One computer has messed up colors, which I figured out how to fix, so either way we are able to play that one.  The other one runs it at half the size of the screen, and none of the various resolution size changes, compatibility mode options, or creation of a 'win7fix.bat' file, have worked so far. 

On that same computer, trying to start battlefield tells me I need to try logging in as an admin, which I am.  Tried changing the privileges in the app properties, and right clicking and running as admin, and now it just throws up the "do you want to allow this thing to make changes? yes/no" warning, and does nothing after that.

Ordinarily I'd say screw it, but my vista laptop quite running BF, and reinstalling it doesn't work.  We can get our Starcraft on, but are hurting for our Battlefield fix.

There are some things I found on google that I haven't tried yet, but this crap just gets old quick. 

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 10:05:30 PM »
I guess installing a game and having it run normal is just too much to ask of a "great" OS.

I've run Starcraft on every single Windows computer I've ever owned. You could just ask me how to make it work, rather than complain it's somehow Windows' fault that you can't install old games correctly.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 11:00:12 PM »
Put it in compatibility mode.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 11:06:21 AM »
If it runs in half-size, there might be an option to fix that in the GPU control panel/settings.
The Mastery.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 01:19:59 PM »
DosBox is great for much older games. Steam actually prepackages it with some of its older titles for maximum compatability!

Should mention also that obviously DosBox is a program, not an OS.

Please let the ridicule and criticism commence...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:41:41 PM by lolwut? »
-flatearther43.2