Are there other known or visible flat planets with domes?
« on: April 25, 2016, 05:15:33 AM »
Are there any other known flat planets with some structures known in space?

I know there are countless globe planets.

Please answer without saying the space we know is fake or a hologram or a projection.

geckothegeek

Re: Are there other known or visible flat planets with domes?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 04:57:06 AM »
I would have to do a bit of research, but I have not seen any evidence of any planets, including the earth, to be anything but globe shaped.

Of course in the world of Samuel Birley Rowbotham any thing is possible.

Offline Woody

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 05:31:52 AM »
The counter argument is the Earth is not a planet and is special.  So there is no reason to expect the Earth is a sphere even if everything observed with enough mass formed into one.

Setec Astronomy

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 05:55:29 AM »
From where does that knowledge come? And how high a number do you consider to be "countless"?

The only celestial body close with a large enough angular diameter to discern a surface is the Moon, and it, curiously, only ever presents one side. Coincidence? Everything else up there is 1 arcminute or less in apparent size and you will never see details much beyond a blob of light as no optical telescope looking through the atmosphere can resolve details smaller than a few arcseconds. Looking through an optical telescope with your own eyes, you might see the "rings" of saturn or the "red spot" of jupiter, but that's about it as far as surface details.

Have you ever actually looked through a telescope before?

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 07:33:54 AM »
I am not an astronomer. But just interested in space and other ideas. I've been to small observatories and they let me take a photo through the eyepiece with my iPhone and I got great detailed pics of the moons surface (craters and shadows and such)
We also saw Saturn and her rings plus there were I think 3 visible moons around her too.

Was an amazing night. Just myself my fiancé and an old couple that ran a nightly observatory self funded at the local school up in the mountains.

I guess my figure of countless comes from looking up and not being able to count the number of dots I see.

(Assuming they are all planets, Suns or entire galaxies)

I suppose if you tell me they aren't planets I couldn't possibly prove it otherwise.

Makes sense to me though, still enjoy asking questions.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 08:24:58 AM »
Sorry another reply.
Was thinking while I was driving just now.

I remember when I was a kid I used to play the Clarinet in our school band. We used to have Friday night stay overs at school for more practice. One night they organised an observatory team with huge telescopes up on our school oval.
The largest telescope with a standing platform was pointed at Saturn. I remember seeing Saturn with its rings going across the planet. While last year when I observed it the rings were completely around the planet like a hoop around it.

Does that offer "good" evidence for globe planets?

How is that explained in flat earth theory? Or are the planets mainly globes meanwhile earth is flat with a dome.

As far as seeing the one face (side) of the moon. I also questioned that.
But Phil plait a well known debunker of bad science and misconceptions has a good explanation in his book the bad astronomer.

Also are there known planets with moons which may orbit them differently, meaning that from that planets view you see different faces of their moon?

I don't expect everything answered I'm just riffing ideas mainly for my own benefit.

Peace and thank you for any replys.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »
From where does that knowledge come? And how high a number do you consider to be "countless"?
Setting aside the "countless" part, we are at least able to point to the Wiki, which acknowledges that the planets are round when they answer (without challenging the premise) the question "If the planets are round, why isn't the earth?"  The wiki gives the reply stated by Woody.
We can also observe gibbous phases of both Mercury and Venus using ground-based telescopes, which suggests that at least those two objects are round.

The only celestial body close with a large enough angular diameter to discern a surface is the Moon, and it, curiously, only ever presents one side. Coincidence?
One side, with quite distinct curvature at the terminator, suggesting that it too is round.  Additionally, while the moon does present the same face to earth all the time, it isn't static.  There is a slight wobble, called libration, which is also indicative of roundness not flatness.  I say it indicates roundness because lunar features at the apparent 'edge' come in and out of view, which would not be the case for a disc with a true edge.  I remembered something posted to another thread which is relevant here: 
The moon isn't always pointing perfectly at earth.  It librates throughout its orbit, as shown here: 
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »
Thanks rounder.

I've also read that in Phil plaits book. But he worked for NASA, does that discredit him any ?

So is the "countless" too poetic for science talk?

I apologise and in no way knowledgable but trying to think it all out and find what fits into common sense for myself.

Keep it all coming it's exciting. Beats television or YouTube conspiracies...

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »
The only celestial body close with a large enough angular diameter to discern a surface is the Moon,
Have you ever actually looked through a telescope before?

But you can see other planets with powerful enough telescopes.  and they are clearly spherical. 

Telescopic Venus  A simulated and much-magnified view of Venus as it appears through a telescope under moderate viewing conditions. The planet is seen in crescent phase, some 15% illuminated (phase = 0.15). Two more simulated views of the planet are shown below (all views on this page are shown at the same scale). The planet was filmed on May 15th 2004, during an evening apparition, when Venus was shining brilliantly in the Western sky after sunset, at an apparent magnitude of -4.5.
The unsteady appearance of the planet through the telescope is caused by a combination of turbulence in the Earth's atmosphere and rising heat currents from the ground and buildings (for more details see the section 'Seeing Conditions' below).

"The images were obtained by pointing a tripod-mounted videocamera directly into the eyepiece of an 8-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope; the eyepiece view was then magnified. The image is orientated with North upwards and towards the right, which approximately matches the Northern hemisphere view through a terrestrial telescope."
http://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/venus-telescope.htm

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »
here is Mars

Features Visible on the Martian Surface
This animation shows a complete rotation of Mars at intervals of 10° in longitude (corresponding to about 41 minutes of the planet's rotation). The Central Meridian is marked as a faint red line (passing through the centre of the planet from pole to pole). South is up and East is to the right, reflecting the appearance of the planet through a typical astronomical telescope.

http://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/mars-telescope.htm

Setec Astronomy

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 04:50:21 PM »
Setting aside the "countless" part, we are at least able to point to the Wiki
I do not consider the IFES wiki authoritative in any way. Do you?

The only celestial body close with a large enough angular diameter to discern a surface is the Moon, and it, curiously, only ever presents one side. Coincidence?
One side, with quite distinct curvature at the terminator, suggesting that it too is round.

[/quote]
Such a view could also suggest it is concave, or even a semisphere dome being observed. I'm not claiming it is, but the view doesn't preclude those explanations - as I said, you only ever see one side (certainly a marvellously impossible coincidence that an orbiting globe would rotate in such a way.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:06:44 PM by Setec Astronomy »

Setec Astronomy

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 04:58:29 PM »
I am not an astronomer. But just interested in space and other ideas. I've been to small observatories and they let me take a photo through the eyepiece with my iPhone and I got great detailed pics of the moons surface (craters and shadows and such)
Interesting that you reference a picture in your possession, yet provide none.
Is hearsay about a picture the same as seeing a picture?
And for what it's worth, there are all sorts of images that can be shown in an eyepiece connected to a guarded device with hidden inner workings. I prefer what I can see with my own eyes through a telescope I can point and aim.

I guess my figure of countless comes from looking up and not being able to count the number of dots I see.

(Assuming they are all planets, Suns or entire galaxies)

I suppose if you tell me they aren't planets.
I would suggest what you are seeing are called "stars". Thinking they are all planets is quite, uh, extraordinary. Is that what schools have begun to teach?

Setec Astronomy

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 06:02:34 PM »
A simulated and much-magnified view of Venus
Clearly you do not understand what is meant by "looking through an optical telescope with your own eyes". All you have done is gone on the Internet and found an image graphic (and one which even states it is SIMULATED).

This animation shows a complete rotation of Mars
... and an animation. Why not throw in a Jetsons cartoon as well?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:14:03 PM by Setec Astronomy »

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 12:22:47 AM »
I see what your saying setec astronomy.

I don't know how to put up a picture on this forum? I tried but couldn't figure it out. Plus it's not stored on my phone anymore. I have it on my instagram account is you could be bothered scrolling through hundreds of photos of my he Man figurine collection.

We looked through the eye piece.

Also you picked apart only "parts" of my argument.

Could you give advice on my points about Saturnia rings being around and across the "planet" Saturn?

Sorry I don't know the scienecy jargon.

If it doesn't make sense. Let me know.

"I have the power!!!"

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 12:31:25 AM »
Oh one other thing.

Is this forum okay with non science people asking questions on here.

I put them in the q and a section for that reason.

I forget that saying "I saw" and "I have this" is all here say. So I'll work on wording and backing up with photos.

As far as the dots we see being stars not planets that's fair enough. But we observed also a smudge in the sky from normal eye view. But through the telescope it turned out to be an array of colour and some sort of galaxy which the name escapes me. Galaxy meaning billions of more stars yeah?

Or is the cosmos program lying? My mum who believes in FE says Neil Degrassi junior high Tyson is a lying free mason. :(

I like him.

Offline BlueMoon

• NASA Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 12:35:42 AM »
Such a view could also suggest it is concave, or even a semisphere dome being observed. I'm not claiming it is, but the view doesn't preclude those explanations - as I said, you only ever see one side (certainly a marvellously impossible coincidence that an orbiting globe would rotate in such a way.

Not a coincidence.  In fact, it proves the nature of tides.  The moon is tidally locked with the earth, and the earth is becoming tidally locked with the moon, due to tidal forces caused by gravity gradients.
Tidal forces are also the cause of Saturn's rings.  I'll explain why later, if you decide not to research it yourself. 

Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 03:04:44 AM »
If the evidence from NASA is any actual indication of reality, then it appears that flatness is the normal shape for objects in the known universe.  We have observed both the moon and Mars from right at the surface and in both cases the surface is shown to be flat.  It is inconclusive as of yet, but (again, assuming NASA can be trusted) it seems that large objects tend to flatness as a general rule.

Naturally this also means that the dome theory of FE is incorrect, meaning the answer posed in the OP is interestingly no, but again because based on NASA's evidence the dome theory is incorrect.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:09:38 AM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 03:54:24 AM »
If the evidence from NASA is any actual indication of reality, then it appears that flatness is the normal shape for objects in the known universe.  We have observed both the moon and Mars from right at the surface and in both cases the surface is shown to be flat.  It is inconclusive as of yet, but (again, assuming NASA can be trusted) it seems that large objects tend to flatness as a general rule.

Naturally this also means that the dome theory of FE is incorrect, meaning the answer posed in the OP is interestingly no, but again because based on NASA's evidence the dome theory is incorrect.

Thanks mate,

So is it only chance that all the planets faces face earth if they happen to be flat plains as well?

Also do the Chinese, Russian or other space exploration agencies have photographs from space looking back at earth?

One argument for fe that a work colleague made was, what took the photographs of earth from space. The ones showing earth as a complete circle basically the way we would photograph our moon from earth?

He basically said that it looks fairly conclusive that they are produced images to "represent" what earth looks like.

Too many questions... Sorry

Setec Astronomy

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 05:04:15 AM »
Not a coincidence.  In fact, it proves the nature of tides.  The moon is tidally locked with the earth,
Odd that you consider an ad hoc explanation to be a "proof".

Tell me, what other examples of "tidal locking" orbits have been observed? (I'll give you a hint: you could count them on one hand even if you chopped off all your fingers)

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 05:37:18 AM »
Not a coincidence.  In fact, it proves the nature of tides.  The moon is tidally locked with the earth,
Odd that you consider an ad hoc explanation to be a "proof".

Tell me, what other examples of "tidal locking" orbits have been observed? (I'll give you a hint: you could count them on one hand even if you chopped off all your fingers)

On the other hand (the one where you didn't stupidly chop off your fingers):

Locked to Mars
Phobos
Deimos

Locked to Jupiter
Metis
Adrastea
Amalthea
Thebe
Io
Europa
Ganymede
Callisto

Locked to Saturn
Pan
Atlas
Prometheus
Pandora
Epimetheus
Janus
Mimas
Enceladus
Telesto
Tethys
Calypso
Dione
Rhea
Titan
Iapetus

Locked to Uranus
Miranda
Ariel
Umbriel
Titania
Oberon

Locked to Neptune
Proteus
Triton

Locked to Pluto
Charon (Pluto is itself locked to Charon)

Tau Boötis is known to be locked to the close-orbiting giant planet Tau Boötis b.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice