The United States 2014 State of The Union Speech
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:05:44 AM »
The speech is in a little under an hour. Feel free to post any thoughts about the speech or responses to the speech.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: The United States 2014 State of The Union Speech
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 01:10:34 AM »
Obama is a politician.  He lies, cheats, and will do anything to make himself seem successful.

Sad. :(
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:24:51 AM »
I think it's silly. People clap when ever he says something generic but emotionally charged. The whole thing seems stale and profitless.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:23 AM »
Obama is a politician.  He lies, cheats, and will do anything to make himself seem successful.

Look, everyone, someone's expressing a cynical opinion of politics!  So edgy!  So brave!  So rebellious!

If you had just made use of the term "puppet," you might even have been as cool and nonconformist as hoppy!

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:53:02 AM »
So edgy!  So brave!  So rebellious!
Not really, Saddam. A lot of people think that way.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 04:11:57 AM »
I thought the speech was excellent. I love the direction Obama is wishing to take on the issues he discussed, like Early Childhood Education and Climate Change. I loved his direct response to Republicans regarding attempts to defund/repeal the Affordable Care Act. As far as the responses, I watched the official Republican response and it was terrible. I hate the idea of trying to respond to an eighty minute speech ten minutes after it happened, and they failed to discuss or directly respond to many of his points.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:41:04 AM »
About the only thing in his speech that I absolutely didn't agree with is extending emergency unemployment.  It is probably needed for a small fraction of the 1.2 or 1.6 million (can't remember the exact figure) but is being abused by the rest and being used as a "vacation" from work.  I also don't like the idea of raising minimum wage, but I could deal with that if it is passed.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 07:08:38 AM »
Didn't he already extend emergency unemployment?
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:46:52 AM »

Look, everyone, someone's expressing a cynical opinion of politics!  So edgy!  So brave!  So rebellious!

If you had just made use of the term "puppet," you might even have been as cool and nonconformist as hoppy!
I'm bitter and angry.  Blarg!
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 03:18:09 PM »
Didn't he already extend emergency unemployment?
He can't extend it.  It requires a Bill from Congress to extend it.  He had urged Congress to extend it and used people as emotional weapons to do it though.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »
Even so I seem to recall that they already extended the time you can be on unemployment once.  I thought that extension was still in effect.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »
They've extended it a bunch since it was implemented in 2008 but the latest extension ended just before January 1.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »
I liked his comment about if Congress wants to improve the ACA, then lets have suggestions rather than another 40 or so votes to try to repeal it.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Rama Set

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 07:48:31 PM »
I liked his comment about if Congress wants to improve the ACA, then lets have suggestions rather than another 40 or so votes to try to repeal it.

When Romney wins, it will be repealed by a landslide.