Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Anime thread
« Reply #180 on: November 29, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »
What stuff do you like, Vauxy?

Well, my favorite series is Rurouni Kenshin, with the original Gundam following at a close second. I like the historical genre, but I haven't found many good ones. I'm also a big fan of the Ghost in the Shell series, and a few other Sci-Fi anime like Dimension Fortress Macross, Space Pirate Captain Harlock, and most of the Gundam series.

I'm not a fan of overly-serious anime, like Evangelion & Monster. Although I did like parts of Monster, but it dragged on too long in my opinion.
I love Monster. I thought it was going to be too long at over 70 episodes, but the story was interesting enough that I would watch ten episodes in what felt like the space of one.

Anyway, you've probably seen it already, but I have a feeling The Big O will be right up your alley. It's one of my favourites and pretty hard to describe, but a cheap way of putting it would be "film noir with giant robots", if you watch (or have watched) it you'll see what I mean when I say there's so much more to it than that.

As for historical anime, I was really impressed by Le Chevalier d'Éon, which does have some problems but is overall highly entertaining and full of insane plot twists. The visuals are great and really do a fantastic job of capturing the period setting. While it isn't overly serious (it has to be said it definitely isn't a comedy) it does like to go for over-the-top theatrics.

Apart from that, you might like Last Exile. It's a fairly light hearted quasi sci-fi/fantasy adventure with likeable characters, an interesting setting, and some seriously cool airships. I don't know if you're a sucker for airships like I am, but some of the designs in this show are awesome. Some of the CGI is kind of intrusive, but I found it fairly easy to ignore as the story rips along at a good pace.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2014, 06:00:27 PM »
I really liked Last Exile.

I stumbled on it through Netflix. It wasn't an anime I'd typically watch but I liked the airships and world.

Ghost of V

« Reply #182 on: November 29, 2014, 06:10:10 PM »
I'll check out Last Exile and The Big O. I've seen a few episodes of the latter when it was on Adult Swim (or maybe Toonami?), and I enjoyed it. The main character reminded me a bit too much of Bruce Wayne, which I feel like was done on purpose.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 29, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
I'll check out Last Exile and The Big O. I've seen a few episodes of the latter when it was on Adult Swim (or maybe Toonami?), and I enjoyed it. The main character reminded me a bit too much of Bruce Wayne, which I feel like was done on purpose.
Some people do describe it as Giant Robo meets Batman: The Animated Series, and while it's obviously inspired to some degree by both (not to mention, some of the people who worked on the Giant Robo OVA also worked on Big O), I think it's kind of unfair to reduce it to merely being the sum of its influences. I'm glad you're interested in checking it out though, it's a great series.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 29, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »
I feel obligated to post about Ninja Scroll.

I think I watched Spirited Away once and maybe, like, Yugioh, or something, but other than that, I've never exposed myself to anime. I quite enjoyed Ninja Scroll, though. The story was ok, decent enough that I could keep watching, but basically, I just like the fight scenes and the vast range of characters. I think that animated characters allow for personality and characterization that are, most of the time, nearly impossible to reach with live action.

I could definitely watch more. If anybody has suggestions, shoot. Think action oriented, crazy villains, many characters, etc.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Ghost of V

« Reply #185 on: November 29, 2014, 07:24:53 PM »

I think I watched Spirited Away once and maybe, like, Yugioh, or something, but other than that, I've never exposed myself to anime. I quite enjoyed Ninja Scroll, though. The story was ok, decent enough that I could keep watching, but basically, I just like the fight scenes and the vast range of characters. I think that animated characters allow for personality and characterization that are, most of the time, nearly impossible to reach with live action.

I could definitely watch more. If anybody has suggestions, shoot. Think action oriented, crazy villains, many characters, etc.

Yes! Ninja Scroll is great. I hope you weren't looking for something PG-rated when you asked for suggestions, because a lot of people seem to be put-off by the nude rape/sex scenes. Atleast the rapists get what they deserve in the film.

I don't know what it is about Ninja Scroll, but there's something magical about it. It's partly the fight scenes, and the main character Jubei is just too cool for school. My favorite scenes are the blind samurai fight, and the underwater battle with Jubei and the Bee Man.

If you're interested in more anime films, then I'd suggest Princess Mononoke. It's kind of long, but it's worth it. It's a Studio Ghibli film (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle) but it doesn't really feel like a Ghibli film. There's also a few great fight scenes, which is partly why it doesn't feel like a Ghibli film. Including some ace scenes where the protag headshots people with arrows (in some cases lobbing their heads off in the process).

I'd say Princess Mononoke is their best film, but some would disagree with me.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:27:36 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 29, 2014, 07:33:04 PM »
I've heard of that before, maybe I'll watch that tonight.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 29, 2014, 08:13:56 PM »

Ninja Scroll is great fun, a little dated now but that just adds to the charm for me. Since Vauxy already recommended some features, I'll go for series. First of all, I wholeheartedly recommend the fairly recent Hellsing Ultimate OVA, which has pretty much everything you're looking for. Aside from that, and in a generally more PG (at least in terms of violence) vein, check out Cowboy Bebop, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Black Lagoon and Trigun.

« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2014, 06:41:13 AM »
Gees, when people said Big O is Batman with mechs, they really weren't kidding.

Ghost of V

« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2015, 05:56:18 PM »
I started watching Kill la Kill on a whim. Netflix. Subbed. It's actually very entertaining, although there is some a lot of fanservice sprinkled about every episode. Usually fanservice turns me off from an anime, but somehow it doesn't bother me here. It's basically a "more power!" shonen-inspired battle anime where a young girl avenges the death of her father by battling an entire school of super powered baddies. The school is run in a Nazi-like fashion. The pacing of the show is excellent. There is barely any filler whatsoever. Every episode mixes cliche anime tropes together in a very comedic way, which is one of the reasons it's so fun to watch. The art style is also great for gawking at.

Overall, very good anime. Would recommend with highest honors.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2015, 08:04:37 PM »
The weeaboo relaxation.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »
The weeaboo relaxation.

( ︶︿︶)_╭∩╮

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2015, 11:35:22 PM »
About halfway through Sword Art Online and the show isn't even about Sword Art Online anymore, it's about some other dumb game where you don't die in real life if you die in the game. How droll. Other than that, great show with an obnoxious amount of, for lack of a better term, fan service. The show would be absolutely superb if it didn't have meaningless boob and panty shots mixed in for no reason other than to just be there. I get it if its supposed to be a romantic scene, but it is 99% of the time not that.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2015, 11:36:24 PM »
Are you gay or something?
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »
Are you gay or something?

I don't know, are gays the people who aren't turned on by 12 year olds in their panties? I must be one.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2015, 11:41:19 PM »
12 year olds
Do you have any proof to backup your outlandish claims?
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2015, 11:46:17 PM »
A lot of the female characters are younger than the protagonist who happens to only be 16 or 15.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2015, 11:52:11 PM »
As far as I know there is only one female in the show that is actually older in than the protagonist and she is (funnily enough) the one I remember getting little or no such fan service. I feel like the Japanese have a really weird obsession with very young girls (or at least girls who appear very young) and have the same monolithic personality.

In fact, the only girl in the show that is both older and more mature is the one the protagonist wants to get with, opposed to all of the young monolithic stereotype girls. Now that I think about it, maybe that has some sort of deeper story meaning.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2015, 11:57:34 PM »
Yep. That's how I remember it as well. When they move on to the faerie game she gets a weird tentacle fan service.

But the Japanese definitely have a young girl fetish. To be fair, I think a lot of men do which explains so many pedophiles.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2015, 12:06:38 AM »
Possibly my favorite pedobear image.