Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Endless Legend
« on: September 29, 2014, 04:22:28 AM »
I very much recommend this game to all of you fans of the 4X genre. I know there are a few Civfags here. For the most part I enjoy the mechanics of the Civilization IV and V, but the games also make me feel like I'm playing out the cartoonish fantasy of a stoned junior high history teacher. I can see how that might appeal to some, but as a super fucking serious person I prefer more thought to go into the settings of my games. The Endless universe (which consists of Endless Space, Endless Legend, and Dungeon of the Endless thus far) has a lot of very interesting history, races, characters, and locations. Amplitude Studios is pretty good at subverting standard sci-fi/fantasy tropes. There's even a race of draconian neckbeards who win by boring their opponents to death through tedious discussions about lore.

An ancient and venerable race, the drakes and dragons of the Drakkens prize lore, history, and wisdom above all things. Few in number but exceedingly powerful, they do not seek war but rather relationships, information, and knowledge.

In other words, they are euphoric because they are enlightened by their own intelligence, not because of some phony god's blessing (this is actually a poor example of the creativity of the races. I just think it's funny). All of the races play very differently. There's also a rather expansive and non-linear research system.

Oh, also, the game is very beautiful. I know that might not matter much to fans of the genre, but I feel it's worth pointing out. Here's a screenshot I took of a smaller city in my most recent game. The district on the far right is under construction.

The soundtrack is also great. Anyway, has anybody else played this?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:28:26 AM by Particle Person »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Legend
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:28:38 AM »
So, you traded in the "cartoonish fantasy of a stoned junior high history teacher" for a game that looks like it was rendered in Minecraft. Gotcha.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:29:25 AM »
So, you traded in the "cartoonish fantasy of a stoned junior high history teacher" for a game that looks like it was rendered in Minecraft. Gotcha.

Epic meme dude

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 04:35:55 AM »
You should ask the lore dragons why their world resembles a poorly written java game.

I might actually buy this. I never looked at it because I saw the name and thought it was dumb.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 04:41:16 AM »
If you're a fan of Civilization and similar games, I can practically guarantee that you'll enjoy this game equally or more. I also recommend Endless Space, but I shouldn't get ahead of myself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 05:10:40 AM »
All fantasy universes are equally generic.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 06:06:24 AM »
sadaam, pls. Quit quoting old arguments.
The Mastery.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »
That is a pretty dumb name.

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »
Because video games have such edifying and ironic titles usually.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »

If it helps at all, the Endless are an extinct race that play an important part in the setting. It's a "Legend" because by the time Endless Space takes place, the lost planet of Auriga (the planet EL takes place on) has become the focus of several galactic myths and legends. You can actually find and colonize the planet in Endless Space (with the Disharmony expansion), which is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:34:45 PM by Particle Person »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 12:26:44 PM »
So tell us all about the lore.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »
The Endless fill the role of the ridiculously advanced progenitor race (inb4 tropes), and remnants of their society are spread throughout the galaxy. Perhaps the most important thing they left behind is a very useful substance called Dust, which is composed of nanobots. Dust is the most important resource in every Endless game, although some races have learned to exploit it better than others. The Broken Lords actually need Dust rather than food to physically sustain themselves, whereas the less euphoric races mostly just use it as a currency to trade with. The more technologically advanced races use Dust more elegantly to enhance their research and technology, which is how it was originally used by the Endless.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 04:23:52 PM »
The Endless fill the role of the ridiculously advanced progenitor race (inb4 tropes), and remnants of their society are spread throughout the galaxy. Perhaps the most important thing they left behind is a very useful substance called Dust, which is composed of nanobots. Dust is the most important resource in every Endless game, although some races have learned to exploit it better than others. The Broken Lords actually need Dust rather than food to physically sustain themselves, whereas the less euphoric races mostly just use it as a currency to trade with. The more technologically advanced races use Dust more elegantly to enhance their research and technology, which is how it was originally used by the Endless.
Whenever I see Dust, it just makes me think of His Dark Materials trilogy.

Sounds cool though.

Thork

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 06:00:06 PM »
I haven't bought a game in years because I only really get immersed in strategy games and they seem to dumb them down more and more every year. I like the complexity of Civ4. I like its balance and that you can ring the neck out of your advantages but no civ is far better than any other. Civ 5 was prettier but more basic. I lost interest in no time and went back to civ 4.

Does this game have an in depth economic system and fine nuances to it? I mean does it have a 200 page manual like civ 4 did? If so, I may blow the moths out of my wallet.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »

If it helps at all, the Endless are an extinct race that play an important part in the setting. It's a "Legend" because by the time Endless Space takes place, the lost planet of Auriga (the planet EL takes place on) has become the focus of several galactic myths and legends. You can actually find and colonize the planet in Endless Space (with the Disharmony expansion), which is pretty cool.

Well that makes a lot more sense. I'm gonna add this to my wishlist and wait for a sale.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:21:37 PM by Vindictus »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »
I haven't bought a game in years because I only really get immersed in strategy games and they seem to dumb them down more and more every year. I like the complexity of Civ4. I like its balance and that you can ring the neck out of your advantages but no civ is far better than any other. Civ 5 was prettier but more basic. I lost interest in no time and went back to civ 4.

Does this game have an in depth economic system and fine nuances to it? I mean does it have a 200 page manual like civ 4 did? If so, I may blow the moths out of my wallet.

The current version of the manual is a mere 70 pages. You can read it here. Maybe Amplitude Studios is simply more succinct than Sid Meier and his cronies. Anyway, yes, there is a complex economy. There are lots and lots of different strategic and luxury resources around the map that can be harvested and sold, traded, or put to use improving your society or military in various ways.

Thork

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »
Erm, graphics ... intel HD 4000 going to cut it?  :'(

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 07:54:37 PM »
I suppose that might work if you set most of the graphical settings to poo.

Thork

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »
This actually looks quite good. I stopped playing games, not because I turned 97 and grew out of them. Because games changed and have been significantly dumbed down by mass-pleasing production houses, not made by dreamers in a small team wanting to make the best thing they could.

Ghost of V

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »
This actually looks quite good. I stopped playing games, not because I turned 97 and grew out of them. Because games changed and have been significantly dumbed down by mass-pleasing production houses, not made by dreamers in a small team wanting to make the best thing they could.

No. You're just playing the wrong games.