Hey. Im new to FE can you help me out? :)
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:01:09 PM »
Hey guys I'm new to flat earth theory. A little help please  :)

I've have spend many hours researching A LOT of conspiracy theories, some I believe and some I don't. And a couple of days ago I came across Flat Earth. I haven't done enough research to decide if I believe it or not. But I gotta say a lot of the Flat Earth stuff makes too much sense to let it go.
I only have 2 things I can't figure out or seem to find info on and that's what I'm hoping you guys can help me with :)

1. How can boats travel quickly between Russia and Alaska? 2. There are flights from the US west coast to Japan ect over the Pacific Ocean? How is this possible on a Flat Earth?

Thanks

PS. Sorry if my English is bad

Re: Hey. Im new to FE can you help me out? :)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:48:49 PM »
Hey, welcome to the Flat Earth Society Forum. I'm glad you're polite and did your homework before showing up :)

Anyway, I think the answers to your questions are:

1) Russia and Alaska are still rather close on a flat earth map.

2) Circumnavigation isn't very conducive to traveling in straight lines, meaning a plane should have little issue flying over the pacific to Japan. However, taking into account fuel, profit, and time, aren't most flights to Japan from the U.S. West Coast traveling a more polar route due to the sheer length of the Pacific Ocean?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:51:21 PM by M-Bone99 »

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:55:45 AM »
Yes most flight routes avoid the Pacific. I just researched flight routes before posting and saw some went over the Pacific.

But when I asked this question I had a picture in my mind that the flat world looked like the classic world map you see in class rooms ect.
But I've come to realise it might look like the version with Greenland in the middle. And that makes my question seem stupid :D
Is this correct?

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »
Ah, okay. Yea, this is the standard flat earth map:

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 01:20:47 PM »
Thanks for the answers :) appreciate it

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 05:55:29 PM »
Why is the centre and outside of the map cold? Is it something to do with how the sun heats or unrelated?

Thork

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 06:04:37 PM »
Why is the centre and outside of the map cold? Is it something to do with how the sun heats or unrelated?
Yep. Look at the path of the sun.

Offline LuggerSailor

• 12 men on the Moon, 11 of them Scouts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »
Yep. Look at the path of the sun.

Have you not noticed that the moon rises almost an hour later each day? This cartoon shows the sun and moon in constant opposition.
LuggerSailor.
Sailor and Navigator.

Thork

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 12:32:50 AM »
You are free to animate a more complex version. This is just to easily illustrate the path of the sun. It should also move between the tropics of Capricorn and Cancer as time goes on, but again, this is just a simple .gif.

Offline Woody

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 01:12:42 AM »

I've have spend many hours researching A LOT of conspiracy theories, some I believe and some I don't. And a couple of days ago I came across Flat Earth. I haven't done enough research to decide if I believe it or not. But I gotta say a lot of the Flat Earth stuff makes too much sense to let it go.
I only have 2 things I can't figure out or seem to find info on and that's what I'm hoping you guys can help me with :)

1. How can boats travel quickly between Russia and Alaska? 2. There are flights from the US west coast to Japan ect over the Pacific Ocean? How is this possible on a Flat Earth?

Thanks

Please, please take the time and do some critical thinking.  Look at the answers Flat Earthers'  give.  How many are basically,"What we are told can not be true because if it was then we would be wrong and the Earth is round."
At best Flat Earthers' have a theory that 2,000+ years of science and advancement suggest is wrong.

Some questions to ask:

1.  How could sailors and pilots successfully navigate, including times prior to the introduction of GPS, LORAN, radio direction finders, and get to where they were going using maps based on the earth being a globe.
If it were flat the distances would not add up.  The same reason to make a flat map of the Earth I need to use a projection.  Use google to look up map projections.

2.  Ask how sailors navigated using celestial navigation.  The math used would not work on a flat earth model unless they make a model specifically for it to work then other things they say are true stop being true.

3.  Why do you see sunsets?  The answer I have seen them give is it is a matter of perspective. It looks like it is setting because it is further away from you.  Which does not explain why the size of the sun appears to be the same as it moves away from you.  The only way sunsets work in their model is if the sun increases in size as it moves away from you.

4.  Why are there phases of the moon?  Their answers are it is hollow and lighted from inside, a projection or hologram.

5. How can you see things further away when you are at a higher elevation?  On a flat earth a person standing on the ground should be able to see the same distance as someone standing on a platform a 100 meters high.

6. Why can you not see the sun all the time? Think about lights you have seen.  Even if they are not illuminating you you can still see them. Their answer is either you can not see that far or light can not travel that far.

7. How far away is the sun?  Their answer 3,000 miles. See the answers to the question above.

8. Why can myself or other people use a telescope to view planets and moons orbiting them? Why can we observe them rotate?

9. Why are their seasons?

10. Why if you watch a ship approach do you see the highest parts first? Something that has observed by many people through out history.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:15:21 AM by Woody »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 01:28:42 AM »
Hi Woody, please read the FAQ. It's quite lazy, and frankly rude of you, to demand answers to questions which are already addressed there.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 01:48:39 AM »

Thanks

Please, please take the time and do some critical thinking.  Look at the answers Flat Earthers'  give.  How many are basically,"What we are told can not be true because if it was then we would be wrong and the Earth is round."
At best Flat Earthers' have a theory that 2,000+ years of science and advancement suggest is wrong.

Some questions to ask:

1.  How could sailors and pilots successfully navigate, including times prior to the introduction of GPS, LORAN, radio direction finders, and get to where they were going using maps based on the earth being a globe.
If it were flat the distances would not add up.  The same reason to make a flat map of the Earth I need to use a projection.  Use google to look up map projections.

2.  Ask how sailors navigated using celestial navigation.  The math used would not work on a flat earth model unless they make a model specifically for it to work then other things they say are true stop being true.

3.  Why do you see sunsets?  The answer I have seen them give is it is a matter of perspective. It looks like it is setting because it is further away from you.  Which does not explain why the size of the sun appears to be the same as it moves away from you.  The only way sunsets work in their model is if the sun increases in size as it moves away from you.

4.  Why are there phases of the moon?  Their answers are it is hollow and lighted from inside, a projection or hologram.

5. How can you see things further away when you are at a higher elevation?  On a flat earth a person standing on the ground should be able to see the same distance as someone standing on a platform a 100 meters high.

6. Why can you not see the sun all the time? Think about lights you have seen.  Even if they are not illuminating you you can still see them. Their answer is either you can not see that far or light can not travel that far.

7. How far away is the sun?  Their answer 3,000 miles. See the answers to the question above.

8. Why can myself or other people use a telescope to view planets and moons orbiting them? Why can we observe them rotate?

9. Why are their seasons?

10. Why if you watch a ship approach do you see the highest parts first? Something that has observed by many people through out history.

Please do take SexWarrior's advice and review the FAQ/wiki. Literally every single thing you listed is covered. It is all accounted for.