australia
« on: January 18, 2015, 01:15:28 AM »
Now i know that most if not all of the contributors on this website are most likely residents of the united states.
Not passing judgement, but that seems to be the heartland of conspiracy theories and strange societies.
Not hating, just making observations. so we can assume that nearly everyone here lives in the northern hemisphere.
This is why, i think, that the 'conventional' flat earth model is north pole centred.
most of you have probably never been to antarctica, or anywhere near.
Also, the flat earth map's geography would't be much different in the north, opposed to the south.
N. America and Europe would appear in much the same way.
But as an australian, i know that substantially fewer of us subscribe to your theories.
This is because whether the map shows all continents in their familiar shapes, or in their rather squashed ones, drastic changes have been done to my home country.
either it is a sausage shape, which doesn't correlate with all our maps, and means that all travel that i have done around the country has been misleading.
Or we are suddenly a lot more isolated than we previously thought. normally the time taken to travel from sydney to Lima or Sydney to Los Angeles, whether by plane or by boat, is relatively the same.
but with the flat earth model, it would be nearly half as long to get to South America rather than the north.
Thought experiment: to measure the distance of the arctic circle and the antarctic circle.
Maybe even the equator for good measure ( pardon the pun).
if the earth is round, and both the arctic and the antarctic circles are at the same latitude, they should be the same distance. The equator should be considerably longer. If the earth is flat, than the three lines should go Arctic, Equator, Antarctic in lowest to highest length order. Then, just maybe, if that order was reversed, and the arctic was the longest, than maybe antarctica is the centre of the world, and the arctic is the ice wall. Food or thought
Proving the opposition wrong is not the same as proving yourself right

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: australia
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »
On the contrary, we have many Australian members.  I won't name names because I respect the privacy of our members, but they're here.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 02:01:20 AM »
Ah yes, the land of Tony Abbott. If only other countries could have leaders more like him. Good on you, being a proud, illustrious Australian citizen.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 03:30:59 AM »
Ah yes, the land of Tony Abbott. If only other countries could have leaders more like him. Good on you, being a proud, illustrious Australian citizen.
on the contrary, my good sir, i have lots of criticism for our prime minister, and indeed my country.
It is politically unfair to judge someone by the sins of their government or country.
If this was a thread for degrading someone's homeland, which it is not, as i had already said that i'm not passing judgement.
I will take a leaf out of Jesus' book and turn the other cheek to that comment.
Perhaps i should have picked a different title because the only people to reply have got it into their heads that I was only talking about Australia, and how great it is. ( it isn't ) My comment was merely about how the changes made to the geography of the world by the adoption of the flat earth model would be a lot more severe in the south than in the north. Either my homeland is squashed like a sausage on a barbie, or as isolated as a kangaroo's billabong.
Please excuse my ignorant australian speech

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 04:35:53 AM »

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but making statements like this doesn't excuse yourself. Maybe you should read your own posts before hitting the ol' "post" button.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:38:24 AM by Irushwithscvs »

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 04:59:50 AM »

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but making statements like this doesn't excuse yourself. Maybe you should read your own posts before hitting the ol' "post" button.
Maybe you should think about sarcasm before hitting the ol' "post" button.
So how about you read my own goddamn posts and answer the goddamn question instead of backing away.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 05:01:50 AM »
Maybe you should think about sarcasm before hitting the ol' "post" button.
So how about you read my own goddamn posts and answer the goddamn question instead of backing away.

Temper, temper, my friend. I would answer a question if you had one. I don't know if you've noticed, but up until this point, there is not a single question mark on this entire page. Questions generally have those. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned formatting to you previously. Please format your posts properly if you wish to have ongoing discussions.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 05:42:29 AM »
thank you so much? i was pretty sure that i had made a point that the flat earth model was northern hemisphere centred? I was prefacing a discussion, but thank you for being pedantic. Ill make this as clear as i can.
"what is your point of view on the issue of spatial distortion and/or different distances involved in the contemporary view of a flat earth on those landmasses in the southern hemisphere e.g.. australia?"
That is my question and i expect a satisfactory (but not necessarily logical) answer.
Good day. Friend

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »
Both of you, please stay on topic.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
thank you so much? i was pretty sure that i had made a point that the flat earth model was northern hemisphere centred? I was prefacing a discussion, but thank you for being pedantic. Ill make this as clear as i can.
"what is your point of view on the issue of spatial distortion and/or different distances involved in the contemporary view of a flat earth on those landmasses in the southern hemisphere e.g.. australia?"
That is my question and i expect a satisfactory (but not necessarily logical) answer.
Good day. Friend

The spatial distortion arises from map distortion.  Fractally recursive geography, of which I am a supporter, does not have these spatial issues in the southern hemidisc.  Unfortunately it's also difficult to represent in two dimensions.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
So the proportions are exactly the same?

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 11:05:14 PM »
Good day. Friend

The spatial distortion arises from map distortion.  Fractally recursive geography, of which I am a supporter, does not have these spatial issues in the southern hemidisc.  Unfortunately it's also difficult to represent in two dimensions.

How do you represent fractal geometry (all fractals are recursive by definition)?

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 01:46:06 PM »
Good day. Friend

Are you saying that the earth is as narrow in the south as it is in the north? If so, doesn't that just mean that the earth is indeed a globe?

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »
Good day. Friend

Are you saying that the south of the world is as narrow as the north? If so, does that not simply mean that the world is a globe?

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 02:12:33 PM »
But as an australian, i know that substantially fewer of us subscribe to your theories.

How do you know this?  Did you conduct a poll?  If so, how many data points did you collect and at what confidence level can you assert this?

if the earth is round, and both the arctic and the antarctic circles are at the same latitude...

Who says this?

Then, just maybe, if that order was reversed, and the arctic was the longest, than maybe antarctica is the centre of the world, and the arctic is the ice wall. Food or thought

This is often brought up.  Some people do believe it is reversed.