Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
US military satellite handed over to Amateur radio enthusiasts.
« on: September 29, 2017, 08:04:51 PM »
A 12 year old, no longer needed, US Airforce Satellite called FalconSat3 has been donated to AARL - which is a group of amateur radio operators in the USA.

For the next 5 to 6 years (before it's orbit decays), it'll be possible for ham radio operators to talk to the satellite, query it's sensors and use it as a bullitin board system.

Why should TFES care about this?   Well, it'll pass overhead a large fraction of the earth (between 58 degrees North and 58 degrees South) and with just a ham radio, you can confirm for yourself that satellites actually exist by communicating with one directly - verifying it's motion by taking advantage of doppler shift - and confirming when it's overhead to people around the world to verify it's path.  Sadly, it doesn't have a camera.   I'm trying to figure out what other instruments it has on board that might be useful for confirming the shape of the Earth.

http://www.arrl.org/news/falconsat-3-now-open-for-amateur-radio-use

The fact that the US AirForce is prepared to hand over this satellite to a bunch of civilian ham radio people strongly suggests that there isn't much of a cover up there about satellites and space flight.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: US military satellite handed over to Amateur radio enthusiasts.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 12:00:40 AM »
Why should TFES care about this?   Well, it'll pass overhead a large fraction of the earth (between 58 degrees North and 58 degrees South) and with just a ham radio, you can confirm for yourself that satellites actually exist by communicating with one directly

How does such communication confirm that the satellite is in orbit around a globe?

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 05:43:32 AM »
Why should TFES care about this?   Well, it'll pass overhead a large fraction of the earth (between 58 degrees North and 58 degrees South) and with just a ham radio, you can confirm for yourself that satellites actually exist by communicating with one directly

How does such communication confirm that the satellite is in orbit around a globe?

At the very least, the signal strength will grow and diminish as the satellite goes over the horizon 5 times a day and people in different parts of the world will see the signal strength go up and down at different times because the satellite won't be overhead everywhere at once.  That kind of thing.

There may be other ways - I've been looking into the other instruments it carries that might be of value...trying to get my head around what it's telling us from orbit.

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 06:48:26 AM »

Do you understand how satellite tv works?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »

The same question applies to Satellite TV as well.

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »

Again, your pathetic knowledge of such matters fails you.

The satellites that carry TV signals are in Geostationary orbits - meaning that they maintain the same place in the sky throughout the day and night.   It's somewhat harder to prove that these are really orbiting the earth and not some bizarre tower-based system that you seem to claim.

The satellite that was handed over to the amateur radio people is in Low Earth Orbit - meaning that it goes all the way around the Earth every 4 to 5 hours.

This means that we can track how it's moving by examining the times when we can pick up its signal as it crosses from horizon to horizon.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 12:27:36 PM »

Tom, how does satellite TV work? (or maybe more specifically, how do satellites in general work on a flat Earth)
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »

Tom, how does satellite TV work? (or maybe more specifically, how do satellites in general work on a flat Earth)

The Wiki is silent on this subject - search for the word "satellite" and you get one page where the word is used in the context of the moon being a satellite - and the other is this https://wiki.tfes.org/Space_Travel - which is just a bunch of "red-links" (links to pages that either have not been written - or which have been deleted).

I've seen people here saying that satellites DO exist (but follow some funky path like the sun does) - or that they DON'T exist, but their services are faked with high-altitude balloons or fixed towers.

If they DO exist - then it's hard to explain away the photos they produce - and that there are geostationary AND low-earth orbits.   Particularly troubling for all FE maps is satellites in polar orbits - because these would have to follow even more bizarre paths.   The concept of this "flow" that carries stars and moon and sun around the sky in their patterns would have problems transporting some satellites in an equatorial orbit and others in a polar orbit - it can't flow in different directions at the same time.

If they DON'T exist - then it's hard to explain the fact that you can often see them with naked eye as they cross the sky - and FE'ers are soon going to have to explain how anyone who wishes to can track the progress of FalconSat-3 across their local sky using nothing more than an amateur radio transmitter.

It'll be interesting to see which of these claims Tom will want to go with.   Either way - the argument that counters his claim will be easy to disprove.