Saddam Hussein

Re: Pandemic Alert!
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
Do you really think that this is all for the benefit of those seven thousand people?  That the money is just going to be split amongst them or something?

Rama Set

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »
It is one of the deadliest diseases on a case fatality rate.  It is a terrible idea to let it run unchecked.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2014, 06:58:09 PM »
Probably because lightning isn't contagious you fucking idiot.

Although I appreciate the sentiment, please tone it down. Warned.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 02:29:26 AM »
Get a calculator. They are budgeting $142,000 to contain each individual case. It takes $142,000 to stop one African spreading this to another? Pull the other one. I could build a fucking castle for each one of them to live in, in Africa at that rate. $142,000 per person. I could send every one of them into space with SpaceX for that money and have change! http://www.spacexc.com/en/bookings/
That's some pretty extreme quarantine.

The money isn't just to stop Ebola, it is to build healthcare infrastructure in affected nations to avoid causing this sort of situation to happen again. Why do you say things like this without actually looking up facts about things you're mad about?

Is there like a one personal insult per month limit or is it indefinite? Can I put forward a motion to make Thork an exception to the rules? Am I being oppressed? These are all important questions you must answer.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 02:43:14 AM »
Why do you say things like this without actually looking up facts about things you're mad about?
You're new here, aren't you?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2014, 06:22:40 AM »

Is there like a one personal insult per month limit or is it indefinite? Can I put forward a motion to make Thork an exception to the rules? Am I being oppressed? These are all important questions you must answer.

this doesn't seem like how to respond to a warning. Look and its derailing the thread 2.5 posts has just been about his behavior alone on this page.
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2014, 12:19:57 PM »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2014, 08:05:57 PM »
After reading about how Ebola kills someone, I say we should probably be pretty fucking worried about it, just in case. Overkill in containing is worth it or else there's a possibility of the world getting Black Plague'd again. That's probably what this would be if it weren't for modern medicine and quarantine practices.

Also I heard the guy who died in the US, they gave him antibiotics which probably raped his immune system and didn't have any effect at all on the virus.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:07:51 PM by Andrew »

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2014, 01:31:37 AM »
Also I heard the guy who died in the US, they gave him antibiotics which probably raped his immune system and didn't have any effect at all on the virus.

Antibiotics don't affect the immune system, they affect many types of bacterium, both good and bad. Secondary infection is actually what kills a lot of people during viral infections, which is why antibiotics are given during viral outbreaks.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:34:46 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 02:32:23 AM »

Antibiotics don't affect the immune system

Yes they do.

Rama Set

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2014, 03:01:10 AM »
He only needed vitamin C and he would still be alive.

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2014, 04:39:15 AM »

Antibiotics don't affect the immune system, they affect many types of bacterium, both good and bad. Secondary infection is actually what kills a lot of people during viral infections, which is why antibiotics are given during viral outbreaks.

Aren't bacteria part of the immune system?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2014, 05:02:19 AM »
Of course not. It's all vitamin C.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2014, 06:29:59 AM »

No. There is no human body system that is comprised of non-human cells. If you mean they augment the immune system, then that could technically be true, because the good bacteria in your digestive tract provide a competitive risk to bad bacteria. Bad bacteria can't multiply as quickly if the body is already full of positive or benign bacteria taking all of the bad bacteria's resources. Antibiotics can make the immune system's job harder if you stop taking them mid-way through treatment. This is why when a doctor gives you antibiotics for 30 days, you're not supposed to stop at day 15 when you "feel better" because bacterial infections could still resurface, especially considering the antibiotic also murdered all of the good bacteria.

The immune system does most of its work in the blood stream, which is (or should be) completely sterile of bacterial life. Bacteria in the blood stream is called sepsis and is normally a sign that a person is close to death.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:31:49 AM by Irushwithscvs »

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2014, 06:51:00 AM »
My concept of the immune system is basically just white blood cells, so I'm pretty ignorant of the biology involved. I figured bacteria factored in somehow.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2014, 04:06:25 PM »
My concept of the immune system is basically just white blood cells, so I'm pretty ignorant of the biology involved. I figured bacteria factored in somehow.

That is a major part of the immune system but it is actually comprised of pretty much everything your body does to defeat invading microorganisms. Even your skin can be considered a passive part of the immune system.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2014, 12:14:24 AM »
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2014, 05:45:12 PM »
The pandemic has begun!!  :o
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29587803

I think it began before this happened.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2014, 12:56:01 AM »
http://www.necn.com/news/health/Patient-Isolated-for-Ebola-Symptoms-in-Braintree-Mass-278946321.html

Ebola case in Braintree, Massachusetts. There was a comment that noted the name of the town in Stephen King's The Stand was Braintree, TX. So yeah, we're all dead. gg.