Where is the edge
« on: February 26, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
The earth is obviously flat, and a planar surface must have an edge, so where is the edge? If I were to jump off of it, where would I go? Is gravity real? If gravity is real then how do airplanes fly? Is space real? Please explain.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the edge
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Hello and welcome. I would suggest reviewing the FAQ and wiki, as most of your questions are answered there.

geckothegeek

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:43:40 AM »
The earth is obviously flat, and a planar surface must have an edge, so where is the edge? If I were to jump off of it, where would I go? Is gravity real? If gravity is real then how do airplanes fly? Is space real? Please explain.

Magic !

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 03:00:44 AM »

Magic !

Please refrain from low-content posts in the upper fora. Warned.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 06:10:03 AM »
What about a plane suggests that it needs an edge?

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »
Are you suggesting that the flat earth is infinite?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 11:34:44 AM »
a planar surface must have an edge
Would you care to back up this assumption?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »

I'm suggesting that there is no mathematical reason for a plane to have an edge.

That being said, if physical space is theorized as infinite in nature... why does that sentiment not extend to our physical planet?

If the Earth is flat, and surrounded by an innavigable expanse of ice, than who's to say that there is an edge?

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »
a planar surface must have an edge
Would you care to back up this assumption?
If the earth didn't have an edge it would be round instead of flat.  :-B

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »
If the earth didn't have an edge it would be round instead of flat.  :-B
While that is one of the possible conclusions, it is not the only one.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline walt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 02:22:56 AM »
Hi,

I'm one to examine the texts of ancient civilizations as to the nature of the earth. I think that governments in the recent centuries have hidden plenty of facts from us, and Antarctica is no different. Take a look at the Book of Enoch, and ancient Hebrew text. It's some interesting content.

Also, I read in an old newspaper article that there was a map found in a cave on Hawaii that shows a chain of islands surrounding the known world, islands which aren't depicted on any of our maps. Worth a glance at least :)

Cheers,
Walt

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 01:53:03 PM »
I'm one to examine the texts of ancient civilizations as to the nature of the earth. I think that governments in the recent centuries have hidden plenty of facts from us, and Antarctica is no different. Take a look at the Book of Enoch, and ancient Hebrew text. It's some interesting content.

Also, I read in an old newspaper article that there was a map found in a cave on Hawaii that shows a chain of islands surrounding the known world, islands which aren't depicted on any of our maps. Worth a glance at least
Why?  The ideas of the ancients were based on less information than are modern ideas, backed by limited local data with no collaboration from other parts of the world, and are more often than not quite liberally dosed with myth and superstition.  Why are they of any value today?

Your Hawaii cave map is a perfect example.  The people of Hawaii knew a world of ocean and islands.  Of course they imagined a chain of islands surrounding the known world!
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »

I'm suggesting that there is no mathematical reason for a plane to have an edge.

That being said, if physical space is theorized as infinite in nature... why does that sentiment not extend to our physical planet?

If the Earth is flat, and surrounded by an innavigable expanse of ice, than who's to say that there is an edge?

What about an expanse of ice is not navigable in an era of long distance air travel? Even if there is a ring of ice around this planet, then why has no one flown out over the ice to see what lies further out? There are lots of daring adventurous types on this planet. Why has no one ever risen to this simple challenge?

And of course, the bipolar flat earth  map just raises the same question: what lies beyond the edge of the map? Why has no one ever flown an airplane beyond the edge of the map and reported back what they found, whether that was more water, or distant lands, or some kind of dome like structure?

Or is it simply possible that if you keep going in the same direction, you always end up back where you started as is found to be the case on this round earth? This is true even when circumnavigating north and south: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transglobe_Expedition
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:35:40 AM by Nirmala »

geckothegeek

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 10:31:42 PM »

Flat earthers always seem to tell you to go to the wiki rather than give you a simple answer.

But I have always assumed the ice ring was the edge ?
One flat earth notion is that there are guards to prevent  you from jumping off the edge.