Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Resources and time
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2019, 09:06:46 AM »
What are you focusing on?
The Flat Earth Society is a group actively promoting and popularising the Flat Earth Movement worldwide. In addition, it aims to archive and document materials pertaining to the Flat Earth Theory for future generations of researchers.

I hope this helps.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
What are you focusing on?
The Flat Earth Society is a group actively promoting and popularising the Flat Earth Movement worldwide. In addition, it aims to archive and document materials pertaining to the Flat Earth Theory for future generations of researchers.

I hope this helps.
But not actually carrying out any investigations, measurements or research to show the validity of any previous documents?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2019, 11:43:17 AM »
But not actually carrying out any investigations, measurements or research to show the validity of any previous documents?
We do that daily. Doesn't mean we'll randomly cater to the whims of those who actively portray themselves as our enemies.

shootingstar

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2019, 12:21:42 PM »
Why Pete do you describe anyone who doesn't necessarily agree with the opinions of FES as your 'enemies'?  There is no war going on here as far as I can tell... just normal healthy discussion and debate.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:24:41 PM by shootingstar »

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2019, 12:46:04 PM »
Why Pete do you describe anyone who doesn't necessarily agree with the opinions of FES as your 'enemies'?  There is no war going on here as far as I can tell... just normal healthy discussion and debate.
By definition I suppose it is true though, anyone opposed to you is an "enemy" to an extent. It is a harsh word though as it suggests hostility which I guess in heated debates you could argue that it can get hostile. I don't consider anyone my "enemy" just for being flat earthers but I have also received hostility with one flat earther making a thread about me to insult me, I guess he certainly sees me as "the enemy". I'm rather emotionless though so maybe I am being perceived as hostile for debating with flat eathers and I just don't notice it myself. On the other hand there are some really dumb and hostile round earther trolls that join up to say dumb and insulting stuff to FE'ers. It works both ways but not everyone here is trying to be hostile. Pete, I hope you don't see yourself as the enemy of round earth.

Regarding the 'focus' of FET, as there are categories on this forum for debate and investigations into flat earth vs round earth I hope that means you openly invite opposition to flat earth? debate is healthy in the growth of knowledge and understanding and I hope you don't see that as hostility.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2019, 12:56:36 PM »
Why Pete do you describe anyone who doesn't necessarily agree with the opinions of FES as your 'enemies'?
I don't. Consider reading what I said again.

Pete, I hope you don't see yourself as the enemy of round earth.
That depends on the flavour of "round Earth", really. Some here make it extremely obvious that they're not here to discuss, but rather to lie their way through debates in an attempt to stifle the movement, or perhaps just because they find it entertaining.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2019, 01:05:41 PM »
We do that daily. Doesn't mean we'll randomly cater to the whims of those who actively portray themselves as our enemies.
Do you, though?
Most of the effort I see on here is from round earthers testing things. Bobby has done a lot of work testing some of your claims.
I have done less but I've done a few things, like trying to make a flat map with distances given on Google Earth to show that it's not possible (I note there has been no FE response apart from lackey posting some spurious nonsense about screen resolution).
In the wider FE community there's a load of stuff on YouTube with people doing things, I don't see many people on here* doing anything though.
(* - some of those people on YouTube may be people on here, I guess).

I know you guys focus on people doing their own observations and that's no bad thing but publishing results of FE experiments which others can critique and repeat would be helpful for the rest of us to follow your line of thinking.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2019, 01:22:51 PM »
I know you guys focus on people doing their own observations and that's no bad thing but publishing results of FE experiments which others can critique and repeat would be helpful for the rest of us to follow your line of thinking.
Quality, over quantity. We want people who think for themselves, not people who parrot a different set of dogma.

shootingstar

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »
Some here make it extremely obvious that they're not here to discuss, but rather to lie their way through debates in an attempt to stifle the movement

Well I can't speak for others obviously but I am happy to put on record that I am not here to lie about anything. That would be neither constructive or productive. Everything I say is true to the best of my knowledge.  Whether flat Earthers choose to believe or accept that is up to them. Where I believe flat Earthers to be wrong in what they say I will say so.

Offline ElTrancy

• God help and forgive me
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2019, 02:08:29 PM »
From what I have read about astronomers and philosphers in 'ancient times' they seemed to latch on pretty quickly to the idea that the Earth is round and if they could figure it out from empirical evidence alone then I can't see what the problem is today...  Aristarchus for example used his observations of the first quarter Moon alone to realise the Sun was bigger and further away than the Moon and that a lunar eclipse was due to the Moon crossing the Earths shadow.  He was just using his own eyes to do that. Noticing that the shadow of the Earth on the Moon was curved that suggested quite sensibly that the Earth was therefore round.

He saw that with his own eyes and so had no reason to disbelieve it or accuse someone else of deceiving him.

I apologize, I had read AllAroundTheWorld's post and had their name in my mind. But shootingstar did answer your question
Please fucking launch a mininuke at me, I've become hopelessly lost.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2019, 07:42:49 AM »
Isn't that exactly what Eratosthenes did all that time ago and came to a value for the circumference of the Earth that was remarkably close to the modern measured value?   His method involved measuring distances and angles.

As did Norwood's method, in the 1600s, and that of the French Geodesic Mission, in the 1700s. Both came out with, within reasonable bounds of error for the time, the same figure.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2019, 07:47:00 AM »
We do that daily.

(that is "investigations, measurements or research to show the validity of any previous documents")

What have you done in (say) the last week in this vein?
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?