Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #460 on: August 09, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »
Dany attacking Westeros with her dragons is something I've been waiting years to see, and seeing it actually happen was extremely satisfying. Well done.

Also Arya isn't a little girl anymore and she has been taught how to fight by some of the best in the world and this is a fantasy story, what a weird thing to nitpick.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 09, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
Dany attacking Westeros with her dragons is something I've been waiting years to see, and seeing it actually happen was extremely satisfying. Well done.
It really was. I enjoyed seeing her work with Drogon too. I like when we can see their relationship - it makes "Mother of Dragons" seem more real rather than another title in a long list. The way Drogon trusted her when trying to pull out the arrow and how he defended her back against Jaime.

I love how everyone instantly teleports across Westeros to get where they need to be. Just cut out all the boring shit.

I'm way more excited to watch the series now that big things are happening.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 09, 2017, 04:37:04 PM »
Also Arya isn't a little girl anymore and she has been taught how to fight by some of the best in the world

I suppose I'll have to let this go. I just wish that last season they had shown Arya at least holding her own against the Waif in their sparring sessions, rather than it being a one-sided beatdown every time until the climax. I understand what the intention was, but I feel it was very poorly portrayed by the show.

and this is a fantasy story, what a weird thing to nitpick.

"not interested in discussing how realistic things are in an alternate universe post-apoc game w/ talking mutants and ghouls"

Also, while I like the idea of Bran being more fatalistic and detached, they went a bit overboard turning him that autistic.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

« Reply #463 on: August 09, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »
the arya thing is actually super simple.  brienne is lvl 50.  arya was lvl 50, but then she went to bravos and got that early-release dlc with the bumped level cap, solo'd a few dungeons, and now she's lvl 55 with rare gear.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 09, 2017, 09:47:13 PM »
the arya thing is actually super simple.  brienne is lvl 50.  arya was lvl 50, but then she went to bravos and got that early-release dlc with the bumped level cap, solo'd a few dungeons, and now she's lvl 55 with rare gear.

Nah, the problem is that Brienne is a paladin and Arya is a rogue. All things being equal, paladins and warriors will always lose to rogues in single combat.

Also, while I like the idea of Bran being more fatalistic and detached, they went a bit overboard turning him that autistic.

Bran is the equivalent of an innocent child being shown the depth of the internet. He is trapped in the spirit internet and he has lost all concerns for real relationships. He probably has a time-waifu somewhere.

Yes, it was about time they splurged on the CGI budget and actually showed what people want to see. Who wants to bet Cersei gets eaten by a dragon?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 10, 2017, 06:40:59 PM »
I can't wait for those Scorpions to go to work on Dany's dragons. Everyone is expecting her to just sweep the Westeros armies, but this is Game of Thrones. Tragedy will befall her uppity, delicious, Targaryen butt soon.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:45:06 PM by Hollocron »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 10, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »
I can't wait for those Scorpions to go to work on Dany's dragons. Everyone is expecting her to just sweep the Westeros armies, but this is Game of Thrones. Tragedy will befall her uppity, delicious, Targaryen butt soon.

I want Littlefinger to win just because of all the nonstop bawwing it will create.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 10, 2017, 08:53:15 PM »
I refuse to believe that Littlefinger is anything less than a brilliant chessmaster quietly manipulating everyone involved into doing exactly what he wants.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 11, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »
The real game of thrones has always been between Littlefinger and Varys. Everyone else is just a piece on their board.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 11, 2017, 05:49:09 PM »
Who wants to bet Cersei gets eaten by a dragon?
Nah, Jaime is totally going to kill her.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 12, 2017, 01:22:04 AM »
Who wants to bet Cersei gets eaten by a dragon?

That'd be pretty boring compared to eaten-by-dragon.

« Reply #471 on: August 12, 2017, 02:39:01 PM »
The real game of thrones has always been between Littlefinger and Varys. Everyone else is just a piece on their board.

#comradevarys

totally this.  only jaime can kill the mad queen.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 13, 2017, 01:37:22 AM »

I want Littlefinger to win just because of all the nonstop bawwing it will create.

The white walkers are going to win.

« Reply #473 on: August 14, 2017, 03:31:51 AM »
fuck that episode was dope as fuck af

nope

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 14, 2017, 09:13:33 PM »

nope

This is Game of Thrones, not Lord of the Rings.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 15, 2017, 01:45:25 AM »

nope

You have to admit that Game of Thrones has always had a general "good guy wins" vibe to it. There's a lot of bad things happening to good people, and sometimes the villain gets away with it, but ultimately the "good" tends to win out despite the odds.

Just take a look at Dany. A completely inexperienced 14 year old who gets out of situation after situation sitting on what is (usually) the moral high ground. The stars line up for her to get out of any and all situations, including the burning of a small hut that was filled with the most powerful warlords in the region who just sort of stood around and got burned up inside a hut with nothing but a wooden door holding them in.

I can see it now:

One, or all of Dany's dragons are going to die. One will likely die fighting the nightking and be turned into some kind of undead ice dragon. It will then fight the other two, likely killing all three in the process.

Dany and Jon are going to get married. Probably after they find out they're related. Dany is already suspicious of Jon because her dragon obviously liked him, something that wouldn't occur were he a normal human.

Jon is fireproof, at some point he'll probably get stuck in a fire with Dany and all of Emilia Clarke's clothes will come right off (oh no!)

The Lord of Light is some kind of dragon god.

And my favorite: Cersei gets eaten by a dragon.

Edit: also something really bugs me about the whole half-dragon thing of the Targaryen ever explained? How is it that they're half-dragon? I'm betting the Lord of Light gave them this ability somehow, otherwise we have to assume the biological route, which is, uhh, well it's better than the incest I guess.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:48:49 AM by Rushy »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 15, 2017, 03:48:53 AM »
Edit: also something really bugs me about the whole half-dragon thing of the Targaryen ever explained? How is it that they're half-dragon? I'm betting the Lord of Light gave them this ability somehow, otherwise we have to assume the biological route, which is, uhh, well it's better than the incest I guess.

lore lore lore

They're not literally half-dragon. The ruling families of Valyria had a sort of intuitive magic that allowed them to communicate with and control dragons, which the Targaryens have managed to preserve in their bloodline through hundreds of years of inbreeding. The same magic is what gave Dany her invulnerability to fire. Also, R'hllor, the Lord of Light, doesn't have any real connection to Valyria, the Targaryens, or dragons beyond the shared use of fire.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 15, 2017, 01:31:16 PM »
GRRM also stated the ending is bitter sweet. So the White Walkers will lose, but shit will go down.

Jon will probably kill Dany or something. If he is Azor Ahai, then he would have to kill someone he loves. Dany also according to her prophecy, needs to bed someone for love and be betrayed again. So it kinda adds up that he'll kill her - or Drogon maybe.

Jon Snow is not fire proof. Not all Targaryens are.
A dragon getting killed and turned by the Night King is right on the money. I really hope they don't all die though.

« Reply #478 on: August 15, 2017, 09:09:48 PM »

i dunno what that means.  it's also not an o henry story.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 16, 2017, 12:35:12 AM »

lore lore lore

They're not literally half-dragon. The ruling families of Valyria had a sort of intuitive magic that allowed them to communicate with and control dragons, which the Targaryens have managed to preserve in their bloodline through hundreds of years of inbreeding. The same magic is what gave Dany her invulnerability to fire. Also, R'hllor, the Lord of Light, doesn't have any real connection to Valyria, the Targaryens, or dragons beyond the shared use of fire.

This is book lore and has very little impact on show lore.

Also, for being born "intuitively magic" they sure do have a lot in common with dragons. Being able to communicate with dragons and also being fireproof sounds awfully "half dragon" to me.

Jon Snow is not fire proof.

You don't know this for sure, unless he got burned or something and I don't remember it.

Also, the "Jaime kills Cersei" path might not happen because Cersei is prego. I mean it's possible he'll kill her anyway, she's nuts, afterall.