Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
There are a whole lot of absolutely terrible Flat Earth memes floating around on both sides of the debate. Let's try to have some fun with them and/or be horribly bitter about them!

In this thread, we shall strive to dig out the worst the FE Internet has to offer, share the cringe, and briefly comment on why Meme X is the funniest/worst thing in the entire world. If there is enough demand, we can also start a parallel thread for memes that are actually good.

In the interest of fairness, I'll start with my "favourite" anti-FE meme, and I'll follow up with a monstrous creation I unwittingly unleashed onto this world.

The Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe!!!!1! xDDDDD

This one comes in many variants, but I'll go with one I was sent this morning, because it has just this tiny bit of extra terrible-ness to it.

The thing that makes this meme so terrible is its proliferation. It started something like 8 years ago, and while it was funny at first, it simply hasn't died when it should have. It stared with someone humorously whipping up a fake screenshot. We get plenty of those, they're usually pretty good, and this was no different. But then something went wrong. More and more "holy shit I love science wtf" pages started editing the screenshot to replace the commenter's name with their own, introducing more and more generation loss each time. People keep sending it over and over, claiming it's "proof" of... something. God knows what.

Meme score: -1/10 please end my sufferring

My second meme is an unfortunate Twitter post of mine that unfortunately also made entirely too many rounds.

Hi ElOn, MaRs Is RoUnD

I'll admit, I was pretty chuffed with myself for that one at first. I thought it was a pretty good clap-back, and the initial response was surprisingly positive. Unfortunately, much like with the other bad meme, it didn't die in time. Article after article after article, the media kept repeating the joke, including their hot takes on the matter. "The FES trolled Musk WOW!", "Elon Musk DESTROYS Flat Earth with FACTS and LOGIC!!!", "People are talking on Twitter and we JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK ANYMORE!"

But hey, at least Le Minecraft Man got involved:

Meme score: A solid 6/10 when it started, a 0/10 by the time it's reached its critical mass. Perhaps if it weren't for my overall disgust with the media, I'd mind it less.

So, FES, what are your "favourite" terrible memes?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:37:45 AM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

i dunno why, but this one really salts my almonds or whatever.

I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile

But some guy got banned from a Discord somewhere because of that maymay, which is good enough to warrant a Buzzfeed article, apparently.

Also:

2/10 people keep making that joke and pretending they literally just came up with it
Like, no, just retyping "If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off it by now!!!" is not going to really fool anyone.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:45:24 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline Plat Terra

• I am a neutral Flat Earther
    • View Profile
Is this one better?

The Globe Community cannot verify the alleged surface curvature of any landmass or Canal. They can only claim it curves. Why?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Is this one better?
No, it's even worse. Taking a photo of a fake screenshot is the epitome of idiocy.

Offline Plat Terra

• I am a neutral Flat Earther
    • View Profile
Is this one better?
No, it's even worse. Taking a photo of a fake screenshot is the epitome of idiocy.

I find it altered to read "Members All Around the"Globies" is a bit humors.
The Globe Community cannot verify the alleged surface curvature of any landmass or Canal. They can only claim it curves. Why?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
There are a whole lot of absolutely terrible Flat Earth memes floating around on both sides of the debate. Let's try to have some fun with them and/or be horribly bitter about them!

This one is stupid on a few levels

This one could be argued to have 2 well-known flearthers in it!

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Tim Alphabeaver

• That's no beaver
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:53:54 AM by Pete Svarrior »
**I move away from the infinite flat plane to breathe in

Online AATW

• View Profile
A friend who knows I'm a bit obsessed with/fascinated by you guys just sent me this

Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"