Curvature investigation
« on: September 16, 2019, 08:27:30 PM »
Hello,

Let me tell you, I am not convinced the earth is flat....yet. Starting to seriously doubt it is a globe though. One says it is flat, science says it is a globe while Neill Tyson says it is pear shaped.

But how can we deny the curvature? It is there, is it not? I have seen a youtube where flat earth society meets up with independent scientists. They placed a boat on a huge lake with a flag that had several stripes on it. As it went over we could clearly see the flag dissapearing behind the curvature.

Flat earhters said something about “it is the warmth”. But how can that be? I totally miss the point on how something can dissapear due to heat as if it dissapears behind a curve.

Some one care to explain? Thanks.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
Re: Curvature investigation
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 06:45:34 AM »
Not an explanation, but a method for investigation;

Find a coastal location with a hill or two, somewhere you can climb to be above any passing ships, but still be within a few km of the shore.

Observe ships. Note your sightlines to those ships, or photograph them, particularly noting any where their masts or superstructures appear above the horizon, where you see sky behind and beyond.

Geometry dictates that if you are looking from a location above the ship, your sightline through the top of the ship, IF the seas are flat, must meet the sea beyond. It cannot miss it. Your sightline will be a descending sightline, in relation to the presumed flat plane below

Plug your heights and distances into any right-triangle calculator to calculate the point at which the sightline should meet the sea

https://imgur.com/CXUvjwa

https://imgur.com/1YmzYvU

https://imgur.com/CzJJDhS

=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 11:08:10 AM »
Looking out from onshore, at one or more ships or boats, the observer can only be, at any one time, in one of three states;

A. Below the highest point of the boat or ship
B. Level with that point
C. Above that point.

For an observation from below the highest point of the ship, then regardless of whether the water is flat or curved, the sightline will always meet the sky, since it will always be an upward sightline, away from the water.

For an observation where the observer is level with the top of the ship, the sightline will, again, meet the sky, not the water, whether flat or curved.

https://imgur.com/QeRAtIq

The situation where we actually see the difference is where the observer is above the highest point of the boat or ship. There can only be three possible "views" of a ship on the sea, when an observer is above the upper structure of the ship.  Let's call them Type 1, 2 and 3

Type 1 - you can only see water behind the ship. The upper structure of the ship is below the horizon.

Type 2 - the waterline of the ship is below the horizon, but the upper structure is above it.

Type 3 - the waterline is at the horizon, and the upper structure is above it.

I don't think there's any other options, unless you invent a flying ship.

You can either -  see the various types where they are at various distances from your observation point, or -  you can (try to) persuade a chosen ship to remain at anchor, while you climb or descend.   

You can see all three in scenario A (fixed observer height, various ship distances) in YouTuber Chang.'s video here -

Title "Flat Earth Observations", uploaded 11 Sep 2019. Channel "Chang."

Type 1 is at 3m34s, Type 2 is at 3m10s, and a selection of Type 3s in the first 3 minutes or so. All 3 types are shown after the 4 minute mark.

Here's Type 1, 2 and 3 drawn freehand, along the top of this graphic.

https://imgur.com/6BBfwCz

I can illustrate a side view of Type 1 on a flat sea, with sightline (green line). Can anyone illustrate a side view of Type 2 or 3, assuming a flat sea? Can anyone fill in the question marks?

I can illustrate all three, and how the sightlines work with them, on a globe, and these are shown along the bottom row of the graphic.

Can anyone fill in the question marks with the appropriate diagrams for a theoretical Flat Sea Type 2 and Type 3?
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 08:16:41 PM »
Just putting the word "investigation" in the title doesn't make this an FEI. Read the "read before posting" sticky before posting.

Since this thread simply boils down to "I think the Earth is round", I'm going to call this one safe to lock.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume