Offline AstralSentient

• Planarist
    • View Profile
What model do you hold to?
« on: August 29, 2017, 05:11:04 AM »
I was going to make a poll but figured it would better to hear what it is rather than make a list of predictions and assume most will vote for them.

So, yeah, the title is self-explanatory, what model of Earth do you adhere to?
And remember, the more explanation, the better.  ;)

I'm interested to hear the diverse views.
Proud advocate of the Relativity Non-Euclidean plane

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=7191.0

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: What model do you hold to?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
I was going to make a poll but figured it would better to hear what it is rather than make a list of predictions and assume most will vote for them.

So, yeah, the title is self-explanatory, what model of Earth do you adhere to?
And remember, the more explanation, the better.  ;)

I'm interested to hear the diverse views.

I'm just back from a vacation in the UK - one of the places we stayed was a 20 minute drive from Woolsthorpe - where the childhood home of Sir Isaac Newton is situated.   I was able to sit under the very same apple tree that he sat under when he saw the apple fall from it and was inspired to figure out how gravity works.   It's astounding that an apple tree could be that old...but it is...and it still bears a few apples too!  I didn't want to damage the tree - so I picked up a couple of yellowing leaves to press and keep.

Newton (like most people) understood the general principle that things fall downwards.  But he took the extra step of asking himself WHY.

Rather than just guessing (as all FE'ers do) - he decided to figure it out from observations and unassailable mathematics.

Using the information collected by generations of astronomers, he was able to show that all of the motions of the known planets could be derived from the single assumption that there is a force between all masses that is proportional to the product of the two masses and inversely proportional to the square of distance between them.  This came as no surprise because "inverse square laws" are everywhere in nature.

This one, very simple, equation explains all of the motions of the planets, the orbit of the Earth around the Sun, the shape of the Earth (round!), the way objects fall when you drop them, the fact (only later proven true) that an object that moves fast enough could orbit the Earth indefinitely.

The same equation predicts the density of the atmosphere, the tides, that there must be black holes, that stars orbit around the centers of galaxies.

The equation also predicts eclipses and allows you to calculate when they'll happen and where.

It predicts SO many things and with such astounding perfection and simplicity - that it really cannot be far from the truth.

Newton's law of gravitation is perfectly correct - but his knowledge of how time is also affected by gravity were absent - so some of the deductions he made (for example, the precession of the orbit of Mercury) were found to be a tiny bit "off" - and it took Einstein to correct that.

So - I sat again under Newton's apple tree - enjoying the sunshine, contemplating the universe and it's beautiful simplicity (and secretly hoping that a falling apple would allow me to confirm String Theory or understand Dark Energy).   We visited the house, saw where he'd worked to figure out how light works...chatted with the informative docent's who help to explain things to visitors.

By the time we left, the sun was getting low in the sky - and I photographed the apple tree in silhouette - something which is still impossible for the Flat Earth despite protestations to the contrary.

I feel sad for Flat Earthers.   They have a very ugly set of underlying principles - they fail to predict outcomes at every turn and need to be botched and tweaked.

They predict a rather pathetic universe - an entirely limited existence.

It forces them to call other honest, intelligent, people "liars" (such as those who work at SpaceX and NASA - and astronomers around the world).  It causes Tom Bishop to say that my own daughter is an "untrustworthy murderer"...and then to refuse to apologize.  My opinion of that man dropped considerably on that day...and you FE'ers should think about that.

Flat earthers have a very hard time of things...and will continue to do so until you open your eyes and your minds to the greater truth.

I embrace the beauty that is the universe...Flat Earthers deny it - and that is their great and enduring loss.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:27:16 PM by 3DGeek »
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 07:57:23 PM »
Do you get paid per word of BS? 8)

I need to bring some content to this post so:

The fakery of a globe earth is over the top and the drug induced public would believe anything. Continue to print the fake money and give them food, housing and cell phones. Life is good eh?

Now how do I apply for per word stipend too?
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:41:26 PM »

The fakery of a globe earth is over the top and the drug induced public would believe anything. Continue to print the fake money and give them food, housing and cell phones. Life is good eh?

Translation:  I didn't understand any of that sciencey stuff.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:42:30 PM »

Translation:  I didn't understand any of that sciencey stuff.
Huh!  I was aiming for "artsy touchy-feely"...oh well...back to the science.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:43:47 PM »

You need friends in the NASA flat-earth-cover-up department - they are the ones with the big bucks.  :-)

Ooops!  Did I just say that out loud?   :-)