Saddam Hussein

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #1040 on: August 11, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »
Every ES game has allowed you to use every skill with varying degrees of success early in the game.

Morrowind doesn't.  In fact, it strongly discourages trying to develop skills that you aren't already proficient in, especially combat and magic skills.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: August 11, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
Every ES game has allowed you to use every skill with varying degrees of success early in the game.

Morrowind doesn't.  In fact, it strongly discourages trying to develop skills that you aren't already proficient in, especially combat and magic skills.

Actually, it does. The degree of success just varies much more.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: August 11, 2014, 08:08:40 PM »
it's designed around letting you use whatever you want and having it be effective.
Why would that be a bad thing?

Remember, Blanko likes stuff like Dark Souls, where if you're not dodging you're doing it wrong. : ]

Also, yeah, Alexandyr describes probably why I enjoyed Skyrim (and, at the time, Oblivion) more than I've enjoyed Morrowind thus far.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: August 11, 2014, 08:23:42 PM »
Also, yeah, Alexandyr describes probably why I enjoyed Skyrim (and, at the time, Oblivion) more than I've enjoyed Morrowind thus far.

Why's that? Oblivion and Morrowind's class systems are very similar.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: August 11, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »
It's how much a pain in the ass it is to level skills that aren't started out as a primary skill. Using daggers now is virtually pointless for me, as one out of every two-hundred ninety-two thousand hits connects (educated estimate [edumate]) so even if I want to train it I really can't unless I'm willing to suffer forever or use a skill trainer (which is dumb and I shouldn't have to).

Ghost of V

« Reply #1045 on: August 11, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »
It's how much a pain in the ass it is to level skills that aren't started out as a primary skill. Using daggers now is virtually pointless for me, as one out of every two-hundred ninety-two thousand hits connects (educated estimate [edumate]) so even if I want to train it I really can't unless I'm willing to suffer forever or use a skill trainer (which is dumb and I shouldn't have to).

That's because you had no idea what you were doing when you started playing the game. Did it not occur to you to do some research the moment the character creation/stat distribution/star chart thing popped up? Having played Oblivion you should have been aware of the weird little quirks the series has. Also, having played Oblivion, you should have been aware of how the skill system works. Like Alex said, Oblivion and Morrowind have a very similar level up system.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:25:45 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 11, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
The Dwemer ruin Mzulft looks nothing like it does in Skyrim. Both the exterior and interior design is completely different, and there's no oculory at the one in TESO.
BETRAYAL!
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1047 on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »
None of the dungeons that appear in both Skyrim and TESO really match up in design, but I kind of prefer TESO's approach to dungeons anyway, so I'm not too bothered by it.

And Vauxy, no video game in the world should require research prior to playing.  They're supposed to be self-contained media.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1048 on: August 11, 2014, 10:44:21 PM »
And Vauxy, no video game in the world should require research prior to playing.  They're supposed to be self-contained media.

Is that why they sell strategy guides?

Regardless, Snupes should have known that not putting Shortsword/Dagger into your primary or secondary skills would be a bad idea if you plan on using such a weapon. Oblivion had pretty much the same mechanics. I was under the impression that she has played Oblivion.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:46:02 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: August 11, 2014, 10:51:02 PM »
I don't think I've ever actually tried using a weapon for which my skill is only 5 or 10. I just created a character to test it out. My short blade skill was 5 and my agility was only 30. With an iron dagger, I was able to kill a mudcrab in six swings (three of them connected). Then I fought a rat and gave up somewhere around the 110th swing (four hits had connected and the rat was still at half health). I can see how that might be a problem. I began both fights with full fatigue. What an oxymoron. I'm glad they changed "fatigue" to "stamina".

Regardless, Snupes should have known that not putting Shortsword/Dagger into your primary or secondary skills would be a bad idea if you plan on using such a weapon. Oblivion had pretty much the same mechanics. I was under the impression that she has played Oblivion.

Strategy guides are:

1. Completely unnecessary and an obvious scam

2. Meant to be used to solve problems encountered during the course of gameplay, not before it
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:52:35 PM by Alexandyr »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: August 11, 2014, 10:56:15 PM »
None of the dungeons that appear in both Skyrim and TESO really match up in design, but I kind of prefer TESO's approach to dungeons anyway, so I'm not too bothered by it.

I don't mind that the look and design is a bit different, but the whole layout of the interior is completely different.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1051 on: August 11, 2014, 10:58:09 PM »
I don't think I've ever actually tried using a weapon for which my skill is only 5 or 10. I just created a character to test it out. My short blade skill was 5 and my agility was only 30. With an iron dagger, I was able to kill a mudcrab in six swings (three of them connected). Then I fought a rat and gave up somewhere around the 110th swing (four hits had connected and the rat was still at half health). I can see how that might be a problem. I began both fights with full fatigue. What an oxymoron. I'm glad they changed "fatigue" to "stamina".

Strategy guides are:

1. Completely unnecessary and an obvious scam

2. Meant to be used to solve problems encountered during the course of gameplay, not before it

Booting up the game, seeing "pick your star sign and create your class", then being clueless as to what to do is during the course of gameplay. Unless character creation is not considered gameplay???

And no, strategy guides were made as game memorabilia. Sometimes they have posters. No sane person this day and age would buy a strategy guide when they have the internet at the tips of their fingers.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:00:26 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 11, 2014, 11:56:35 PM »

Strategy guides are for wusses. Anyway, yeah, I should not have to do research just to play a game. That's pretty dumb.

I did. Many, many years ago. Eight, to be specific. I was a kid, and anything was fun at the time. Also, you're wrong, because in Oblivion you could still level up your non-primary-or-secondary dagger skill while...you know...actually hitting things. Whereas in Morrowind if it's not primary, you're going to get one in every 20349 hits. This makes it a, to use the technical term, "massive pain in the ass" to level it. I never had a problem with leveling things in Oblivion because not setting them as a primary stat didn't render them basically non-functional.

That said, if Oblivion's leveling system for non-primary-or-secondary was as much of a pain in the ass as Morrowind's (which I highly doubt for the reasons stated, but) then disregard my mention of Oblivion, because that's not a game I'm about to defend.

Yes! I'm glad you can at least kind of see my problem, then. I didn't realize it would have that severe an impact on my skills. Sure, "dun be ratarded" and "git gud" and stuff is absolutely wonderful and helpful advice, but still, I did not estimate that severe a disability from it (especially since I didn't have it as low as 5 or 10 and had a bit higher agility).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:59:40 PM by Snupes »

Ghost of V

« Reply #1053 on: August 11, 2014, 11:59:24 PM »

Strategy guides are for wusses. Anyway, yeah, I should not have to do research just to play a game. That's pretty dumb.

I did. Many, many years ago. Eight, to be specific. I was a kid, and anything was fun at the time. Also, you're wrong, because in Oblivion you could still level up your non-primary-or-secondary dagger skill while...you know...actually hitting things. Whereas in Morrowind if it's not primary, you're going to get one in every 20349 hits. This makes it a, to use the technical term, "massive pain in the ass" to level it. I never had a problem with leveling things in Oblivion because not setting them as a primary stat didn't render them basically non-functional.

That said, if Oblivion's leveling system for non-primary-or-secondary was as much of a pain in the ass as Morrowind's (which I highly doubt for the reasons stated, but) then disregard my mention of Oblivion, because that's not a game I'm about to defend.

I get where you're coming from. The skill system in Oblivion is very similar to Morrowind's, but the whole "not hitting things" is not present in Oblivion. So yeah, you're right. It's much more of a pain to level up non-primary/secondary skills in Morrowind. Although, this could be easily solved by rerolling your character and picking primary/secondary skills you actually plan on using.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18:10 AM »
I tried doing some other things using only miscellaneous skills. It's a great way to roleplay a physically and mentally handicapped person. Nothing works.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1055 on: August 12, 2014, 12:21:59 AM »
why I enjoyed Skyrim (and, at the time, Oblivion)

Many, many years ago. Eight, to be specific. I was a kid, and anything was fun at the time.

that's not a game I'm about to defend

Don't be shy, Snupes.  Tell us how you really feel about Oblivion.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 12, 2014, 12:52:56 AM »
why I enjoyed Skyrim (and, at the time, Oblivion)

Many, many years ago. Eight, to be specific. I was a kid, and anything was fun at the time.

that's not a game I'm about to defend

Don't be shy, Snupes.  Tell us how you really feel about Oblivion.

wat

I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's been so long since I played that I can't really fairly pass judgment on it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 12, 2014, 01:44:41 AM »
Also, Argonians are Mesoamericans.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1058 on: August 12, 2014, 01:45:36 AM »
Also, Argonians are Mesoamericans.

Argonians are based on real life reptilian shapeshifters.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 12, 2014, 01:47:33 AM »
They build Maya/Aztec style temples and pyramids.
The Mastery.