Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #640 on: July 27, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
I played Oblivion and Skyrim to a large extent before Morrowind, and I still enjoyed Morrowind more. And I suspect it's the same story for a lot of people. I don't see how nostalgia enters into it at all.

Saddam Hussein

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #641 on: July 27, 2014, 07:57:22 PM »
This is what really rotates my jeremies. There are many reasons this game has a fanatical following, and none of them are that it came out a long time ago. There are a lot of genuine reasons to prefer Morrowind over any other entry in the series, but because it's an older game detractors dismiss the zeal of its fans as nostalgia. Perhaps the only major thing that nostalgia really helps with is tolerating the vanilla graphics. I, like many people, have played the game consistently for 12 years. I've actually experienced more of its content after Oblivion and Skyrim's release than before, so I know my perception isn't distorted by nostalgia. As I've said before, it's my favorite item of entertainment media ever, and I'm not just saying that because I'm drunk. I've said it before.

You're not going to concede an inch in this discussion, are you?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 27, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
I don't see why you can't just admit that Morrowind has literally 0 flaws and is the best thing since sliced wickwheat bread.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #644 on: July 27, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »
Can we talk about TESO now?

My Nord is in the Rift, fighting Reachmen.  Where are you guys at?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: July 28, 2014, 07:26:50 AM »
I went to Skyrim. Everything was suddenly 30 levels higher than me. Undeterred, I snuck past everything and even managed to complete a quest without killing anything. I thought the exp gains would be wicked, but they were not. Although the areas are large, they still must be traversed in a very specific order, which really hurts the sense of exploration.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 28, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
This game will punish exploration severely. It fails as an Elder Scrolls game.

But I still like it. :(
The best thing about it is that it's not ridden with bugs and gliches, which is fucking amazing for an Elder Scrolls game.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:59:17 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 28, 2014, 10:18:40 AM »
If the "best thing" about a game is the fact that it works as intended, is it really a good game?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 28, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »
I passed a Hand of Almalexia who piped up and delivered to me this brilliant line:

"By the Saints, watch duty is as boring as paperwork."

This line might be acceptable for a lowly city guard, but Her Hands are said to be among the most powerful mortal warriors in Tamriel. They're supposed to be somber religious warriors who have devoted their entire adult lives to Almalexia's protection. Zenimax does not have an affinity for the details like this that are necessary for an enjoyable depiction of Tamriel.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 28, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
If the "best thing" about a game is the fact that it works as intended, is it really a good game?
It was an exaggeration.
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 28, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »
What is the best thing about the game, then?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 28, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »
You can sprint while strafing.
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 28, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »
Epic. Simply epic. Now let's talk about how the Aldmeri Dominion wasn't formed until 300 years after this game takes place, or about how Cyrodiil is once again a boring English countryside rather than a jungle, even though the game takes place before Tiber Septim CHIMMed it up. Although, ZO doesn't even acknowledge that piece of lore. They simply chalked up hundreds of years of written history recorded by dozens of scholars describing Cyrodiil as a jungle to a "transcription error".

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 28, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »
Yes.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #654 on: July 28, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »
I went to Skyrim. Everything was suddenly 30 levels higher than me. Undeterred, I snuck past everything and even managed to complete a quest without killing anything. I thought the exp gains would be wicked, but they were not. Although the areas are large, they still must be traversed in a very specific order, which really hurts the sense of exploration.

You do know that you're playing an MMO, right?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 28, 2014, 03:34:24 PM »

Ah, this again. You do know that not all MMOs adhere to this formula, right?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 28, 2014, 03:34:37 PM »

A theme park MMO, you mean. Sandbox MMOs exist.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #657 on: July 28, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
I passed a Hand of Almalexia who piped up and delivered to me this brilliant line:

"By the Saints, watch duty is as boring as paperwork."

This line might be acceptable for a lowly city guard, but Her Hands are said to be among the most powerful mortal warriors in Tamriel. They're supposed to be somber religious warriors who have devoted their entire adult lives to Almalexia's protection.

And therefore, they are not allowed to talk.

Epic. Simply epic. Now let's talk about how the Aldmeri Dominion wasn't formed until 300 years after this game takes place

How do you know that?  Are you going by this piece of scholarly wisdom, which also literally calls the Altmer inbred baby-killers and makes them out to be monsters?  A reliable source, to be sure.

or about how Cyrodiil is once again a boring English countryside rather than a jungle, even though the game takes place before Tiber Septim CHIMMed it up. Although, ZO doesn't even acknowledge that piece of lore. They simply chalked up hundreds of years of written history recorded by dozens of scholars describing Cyrodiil as a jungle to a "transcription error".

The discrepancy is there, but I think Bethesda deserves the blame for this one, not ZeniMax.  They should have bitten the bullet and admitted they were retconning Cyrodiil a long time ago, rather than dragging it out with the CHIM thing.  They knew this game was coming, and they knew that Cyrodiil wasn't going to have any wacky jungle design in it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #658 on: July 28, 2014, 04:52:06 PM »

Ah, this again. You do know that not all MMOs adhere to this formula, right?

Nawwww. You're lying.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 28, 2014, 05:00:03 PM »
They're not allowed to talk like they're teenagers earning minimum wage. It just doesn't make sense.

Yes, the PGE. It's a respected source of in-game information on a bunch of subjects. I don't think they gave an incorrect date to slander the good Altmer name.