Online AATW

• View Profile
FE2FE Debate Section
« on: July 01, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »
There is a notable lack of debate on here between FE people - debate about contrasting models, attempts to move towards a unified FE model.
I would have thought that should be part of what this site is about.
I tried to generate some with this thread on a topic I know is a matter of debate between FE people:

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=15036.0

But got very little response. There was a thread about how RE people could behave to encourage more FE on FE debate, in that thread a separate suggestion came up that a dedicated forum on here for FE people would help encourage such debate without RE people spoiling those threads. As it was felt not to be an appropriate thread for that discussion I thought I'd start one in here, as it's a suggestion.

The suggestion, in short, is a separate section of the forum be created for FE people to debate between themselves the competing models and attempt to move towards consensus.
My suggestion is that section be visible by everyone but only selected people be allowed to post. By "selected people" I mostly mean FE believers, but selected RE people may be allowed access too if they post within the spirit of that section.

Discuss.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: FE2FE Debate Section
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 10:25:18 PM »
This has been done before. It was called the 'believers' forum and only FE people had access. True FE people. Not people who claimed to be FE people. Specifically FE people who John Davis deemed to be FE people. These included lunatics like Bullhorn who made about 50 posts in 6 years, Gotham and Daniel. It did not include the unclean such as me, Pete, Parsifal, or anyone else who actually made most of the FE posts at the time.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?board=8.100

The forum became tumbleweed. John's friends never posted anything. In 2007 you can see 4 threads were made all year. In 2008 1 solitary thread about a map by a guy named James. Davis wouldn't add anyone new. And the idea that only believers could use the forum discredited everyone else as not a believer.

Long story short ... no one used the board and it was just used by John Davis as a John Davis and friends forum. It was a horrible idea.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:27:13 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:23:07 PM »
I don't think it's a horrible idea although it's interesting to hear that attempts elsewhere to create this failed.
I wonder why that was. Thanks for the reply.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »
There is a notable lack of debate on here between FE people - debate about contrasting models, attempts to move towards a unified FE model.
I would have thought that should be part of what this site is about.

I think this is a great idea.    Based on two threads where one FlEarther called somerled  is claiming that a satellite that operates outside the earth’s SOI is not possible and the other where professor sandokhan is using findings from a satellite system that operates outside the SOI as evidence….   It would be way more interesting to see debate threads between FlEarthers than the typical Re’ers constant flow of the same questions and trolls.   

Maybe have a set of questions they debate?  It could lead to some unified theories.

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 01:46:45 PM »
This continues to be a non-starter. We already debate amongst ourselves - your suggestion is that we invite you to watch. Pretty much nobody other than the would-be-voyeurs is interested in that.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 02:37:01 PM »
This continues to be a non-starter. We already debate amongst ourselves - your suggestion is that we invite you to watch. Pretty much nobody other than the would-be-voyeurs is interested in that.

I would pop some popcorn.  But seriously I get it.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 03:05:19 PM »
This continues to be a non-starter. We already debate amongst ourselves - your suggestion is that we invite you to watch.

Not quite:

The suggestion, in short, is a separate section of the forum be created for FE people to debate between themselves the competing models and attempt to move towards consensus.
My suggestion is that section be visible by everyone but only selected people be allowed to post. By "selected people" I mostly mean FE believers, but selected RE people may be allowed access too if they post within the spirit of that section.

My view is it would encourage FE on FE debate in a "safe space" but also allow some selected RE people to contribute too without all the fly by "lol, earth rund" people being able to stink up the place.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »
You have stated your view many times. It continues to be a non-starter. No one is interested in opening up our private conversations, and bickering about minor details of your proposal won't change that. Sorry, not sorry.

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 03:21:08 PM »
I was just correcting your misrepresentation of my suggestion.
What you do with it is up to you.
But given the lack of responses I concede there is little appetite for my suggestion on here.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 03:43:08 PM »
I was just correcting your misrepresentation of my suggestion.
There was no misinterpretation - you "corrected" my statement about you wanting to watch with a statement on who'd be able to post

Please stop wasting our time with this. I want to leave this thread open in case there is a shift in interest, but I will not tolerate more of your petty trolling.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:45:15 PM by Pete Svarrior »