Saddam Hussein

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #960 on: November 29, 2014, 04:55:14 AM »
Yes.  This is what I do.  I wait until long after the movies come out before I watch them myself and offer my opinions on them so as to appear original in my criticisms.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: November 29, 2014, 07:42:27 AM »
Did not expect that kind of edge from Rooster. Confirmed for a 15y/o high schooler attempting philosophy.
It's the exact opposite of that.

I don't understand the whole "meant" to leave idea. That suggests destiny which I don't believe in at all. I'm aware that people think we're a really special, but I don't by into that. We're just violent animals with large frontal lobes.
It's not philosophy.

« Reply #962 on: November 29, 2014, 07:46:27 AM »
But we are special, simply because we alone have the means to leave our own planet.

Ghost of V

« Reply #963 on: November 29, 2014, 07:54:55 AM »
But we are special, simply because we alone have the means to leave our own planet.

Going to have to agree with this. Eventually our resources will dwindle and we'll be forced between resettling on a different planet or extinction. Probably not in our lifetimes, but still. It will happen provided we don't kill each other or aliens enslave us and/or kill us all. It's not make believe.

Also, It has nothing to do with destiny. It's just plain ol science.

Do not take this as if I am supporting this awful film though. It really has no redeeming factors in my opinion.

« Reply #964 on: November 29, 2014, 08:23:27 AM »
That's another good point, I don't remember if I had a whinge about the destiny crap in the movie. It was only there for the first 20 minutes or so, but it was annoying. The implication that we're going to the stars anyway because it's our future devalues the accomplishment that space travel is. We're not born for space travel at all, it takes a shit load of hard work and sacrifices to get there. It's strange that a movie so pro-science completely ignored that in favour of lame "its arr destany" lines.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 29, 2014, 09:29:41 AM »
What? The movie is all about hard work and sacrifices.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #966 on: November 29, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »

Yes, which is why it's weird to shoehorn the destiny garbage in while Cooper is still meandering around on Earth.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 29, 2014, 03:16:43 PM »

Yes, which is why it's weird to shoehorn the destiny garbage in while Cooper is still meandering around on Earth.
Yep. That is probably what bugged me most about the movie. But it was still great.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #968 on: November 30, 2014, 04:47:50 AM »
And now I've watched Into Darkness.  Kirk isn't a shithead in this movie, which I appreciated.  Apart from that, it sucked.  I'll admit that I've never been a particularly huge fan of Star Trek - at most, I've seen some of the movies and a handful of episodes - but even I can't help feeling offended by this.  It's an incredibly stupid, incredibly generic, homogeneous blockbuster without an ounce of uniqueness, creativity, or thematic similarity to the original franchise.  And even though it's full of what I'd normally call fanservice, like the quotes and reenactments of scenes from The Wrath of Khan, none of it feels respectful.  In fact, it comes across more like a mean-spirited parody than anything else.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:57:15 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: November 30, 2014, 05:06:27 AM »
Khan in the series was Indian. Dark skinned. In the movie, Khan is a pale skinned Benedict Cumberbatch.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #970 on: November 30, 2014, 05:32:58 AM »
I am aware.  I would complain about it, but honestly, the real issue with Khan is that they shouldn't have bothered rehashing him in the first place.  Or if they absolutely felt compelled to put him in, then they ought to have let him take center stage as the villain.  Awkwardly juggling him with RoboCop so they could give us their oh-so-insightful political message of "terrorism is bad, mmkay," didn't work out well at all.

Ghost of V

« Reply #971 on: November 30, 2014, 05:36:40 AM »
I thought Into Darkness sucked too. Khan felt like a joke. I agree with Saddam, they should have left him out of it completely.

Actually, they should just stop making Star Trek movies altogether. Make a new series please.

« Reply #972 on: November 30, 2014, 05:59:41 AM »
I thought Into Darkness sucked too. Khan felt like a joke. I agree with Saddam, they should have left him out of it completely.

Actually, they should just stop making Star Trek movies altogether. Make a new series please.

They are, it's called Star Wars.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 01, 2014, 08:44:32 PM »
Mean Streets (Scorsese)

Very good. I prefer Scorsese's older stuff to the new, although I do love the new.

Having watched Taxi Driver recently, it's interesting to contrast character development in these two films, as they were made around the same time. One models gradual isolation resulting in madness, while the other models mounting pressure from multiple angles resulting in a somewhat similar madness. Both end with a bang, so to speak. Great stuff.

What I don't understand is his tendency to flood bar scenes with intense red lighting. It's annoying as hell. I don't know what effect he was going for other than creating a feeling of danger, but there's gotta be a better way.

No Country for Old Men (Coen Brothers)

Phenomenal. I finally got around to seeing this, and was in no way disappointed.

While the ending was initially puzzling, it was very fitting. It helps to consider the sheriff as the character we get to really dig into, not Llewelyn. Consider the name of the film after all. It's not about Llewelyn's ordeal: stumbling across the cash, evading Anton, and trying (failing) to save himself and his wife. Rather, it is about the sheriff's struggle to continue, given the awful nature of his job, and his sort of existential pondering at the end. This is wrapped up nicely in the ending scene with the ex-sheriff dude in the wheelchair.

Anton is easily one of my favorite characters in any Coen brothers film, rivaled only by Charlie Meadows in Barton Fink. He's just so intense, so precise, so recklessly stable. Early in the movie, we get to see all that he does, and we get a good idea for how his character will respond in certain situations. Then, once we have that idea, we are often left following other characters, left to our own conclusions about what exactly he is doing. The death of the Mosses is not surprising in retrospect. The film is about the sheriff, and Anton is not a character that loses.

One thing in particular that I can't make sense of is Anton's car crash at the end. If anybody has any insight into that scene, feel free to enlighten me. I was thinking that maybe it reflected 'chance' or fate, as Anton often used a coin flip to determine the life or death of people he happened across. I can't really see anything beyond that.

Definitely my favorite Coen brothers film so far. 9.5/10
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 04, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »
Nightcrawler

Great film. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance was just phenomenal. Direction felt a little underwhelming at times, but it was sufficient enough to maintain tension where it was needed.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: December 04, 2014, 08:04:47 PM »
Watch SGU.  It is teh shit

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 04, 2014, 09:34:57 PM »
Nightcrawler

Great film. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance was just phenomenal. Direction felt a little underwhelming at times, but it was sufficient enough to maintain tension where it was needed.

The end was lazy lazy filmmaking. Gyllenhaal however was fantastic.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 05, 2014, 12:54:47 AM »
Nightcrawler

I agree.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 05, 2014, 05:43:27 AM »
Nightcrawler

The end was lazy lazy filmmaking. Gyllenhaal however was fantastic.

Yeah, I agree about the ending. ***SPOILERS*** I thought it would end where the door to the editing room shuts behind him, but then it just continues with unnecessary exposition and the awkward interrogation scene which just shows how Lou gets away with everything with zero repercussions. It was just way too convenient and it went on for too long. All it really needed to do was cement Lou as an irredeemable sociopath by showing him interacting with the station crew unphased by the events and his partner's death, which is exactly what they did and which is where I thought the film should have ended.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 05, 2014, 06:11:39 AM »
!!!Spoilers!!!!

The sequence where he filmed the death of his partner, and when he turned in the tapes to the station, brilliantly shot, but it seems the movie was just too short, so they added 15 minutes of things happening for no reason and abruptly ending the film leaving the audience being unsure as to what the message really was. I dunno, I just feel like a movie like this needs a solid conclusion to really cement the themes.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?