Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #680 on: August 29, 2014, 01:20:52 PM »
I find his highly acclaimed works Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and Goodfellas to be quite dreadful

hipster

>liking hugo, a highly acclaimed, hugely mainstream, oscar winning movie
>hipster

Come on Saddam, you can do better than this.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 04, 2014, 12:52:55 AM »
Let the Right One In (Tomas Alfredson) - Very good

The Shining (Stanley Kubrick) - Great

Room 237 (Rodney Ascher) - Okay

La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (Carl Th. Dreyer) - Very good

« Reply #682 on: September 04, 2014, 03:14:32 AM »

You're getting lazy.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 04, 2014, 06:01:34 AM »

You're getting lazy.

I'm not feeling wordy at the moment.

« Reply #684 on: September 04, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 05, 2014, 02:38:07 AM »
Leon: The Professional

Aside from some logical flaws, it was excellent. Gary Oldman was Psychotic, young Natalie Portman was creepy as hell, and that guy from The Pink Panther was badass.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #686 on: September 05, 2014, 03:04:49 AM »
that guy from The Pink Panther

If you only know of Jean Reno from his role in that shitty movie, you are doing something terribly wrong.

Also, I binge-watched the first half of Breaking Bad's second season today.  The first season was good and all, but it's only now that I've really gotten hooked.  Skyler still sucks.

Rama Set

« Reply #687 on: September 05, 2014, 03:35:34 AM »

If you only know of Jean Reno from his role in that shitty movie, you are doing something terribly wrong.

Also, I binge-watched the first half of Breaking Bad's second season today.  The first season was good and all, but it's only now that I've really gotten hooked.  Skyler still sucks.

She was my least favorite character.

I have watched the first half of the second season of Hannibal. Don't know what I think of it rally. It uses a lot of  obvious tricks to create mood and the narrative is very loose but Hannibal is great.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 05, 2014, 04:00:59 AM »

I was 10 when that movie came out, it was right up my alley >o<

Also, watch moar BB.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

« Reply #689 on: September 05, 2014, 09:17:56 PM »
Skyler still sucks.

The whole sister storyline blows dead dicks.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #690 on: September 06, 2014, 01:30:56 AM »
Inkheart (Iain Softley)

Owing much to the work of Terry Gilliam and the underrated Neil Gaiman penned Stardust, this seems like something I would like a lot, and that's why it was so disappointing to find myself checking the time and sighing at the thought of having 20 more minutes to go till the end. Although the basic premise of being able to read a page from a book aloud and have the things in it come into the real world is interesting, it seems under-utilised. Our lead is Mortimer, a "silvertongue" who can bring books to life, one day he is plunged into battle with the villains of a fantasy novel, but he never thinks it's a good idea, despite being surrounded by books in most scenes, to bring a couple of appropriate titles along for ammunition? It feels like a flimsy excuse to drag the story out for longer than is necessary, and for that reason I say this is an 80 minute film that lasts for 100.

The acting ranges from good to passable. Brendan Fraser, who I think is unfairly dismissed by most people, does a good job in the lead role, Andy Serkis is menacing enough as the smooth talking but rather unhinged villain, and Eliza Bennett is a believable female lead. It's really only Paul Bettany and his clunky accent, woefully mismatched with the dialogue (lots of "we gotta do this" "we gotta long road ahead of us" "you gotta read the book" gotta gotta gotta etc.), which is kind of off putting. It's actually a reminiscent of some of the dialogue/accent combinations in Skyrim, and that's not a good thing. Part of the blame lies with the characters themselves, they seem very much "to type", and while this is understandable from the perspective of some of them being taken right out of old fantasy stories, for me it just doesn't work.

The music is generic to say the least, but perfectly functional, which is impressive enough. The special effects are quite well done for the most part: extended shots of the Minotaur from the tale of Theseus which look quite believable, and the flying monkeys from Oz and so on, all fine. The Shadow, an original monster from the titular Inkheart book, looks pretty good too as it billows smoke and ash with every move, though I can't stop thinking it looks a bit like the Balrog from Lord of the Rings had an accident involving a giant fire extinguisher.

While it has good ideas, a decent cast, and good special effects, Inkheart seems to have a difficult time coming together into a genuinely satisfying film. As a fantasy "epic" it simply does not have the strength of its convictions and ends up being a severely flawed piece of work, but not in a charming way like the aforementioned Stardust, which I recommend checking out, along with Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, as quality contemporary alternatives that have more to offer.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 08, 2014, 01:08:26 PM »
Zodiac (David Fincher)

Slow burn paperwork drama with a bit of blood added for contrast here and there. Fincher's usual gloss is on full display and for most of the film acts as a kind of detaching presence, leaving the audience a couple of steps removed from the drama. While the characters felt kind of flat for me (liking Animal Crackers isn't a character trait, I'm sorry, it just isn't) I did find myself eventually becoming engrossed in the plot, which isn't so much about the Zodiac Killer as it is about what obsession can do to people. It's a flawed piece, but it is entertaining throughout, and Fincher's visual style is as slick and pretty as ever.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 08, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »
I love that one. It follows the book pretty well and it makes you feel like you're the one investigating the Zodiac killer.

Ghost of V

« Reply #693 on: September 09, 2014, 03:00:48 AM »
Has anyone else seen Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai? Excellent film.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 10, 2014, 07:02:06 AM »
The Dish (Rob Sitch)

Comedy drama about Australian involvement in the TV broadcast of the Apollo 11 mission, based on actual events. "Actual events" is where the problem lies, while there are considerable departures from recorded history it never really goes for broke to deliver satire or even farce. Obviously this was not the intention of the people who made the film, which is fine, but I feel it would have benefited from a more subversive approach à la Dr. Strangelove. What we get instead is a sort of cosy parochial feelgood piece in which the eccentricities of Australian behaviour meet the procedural constraints of NASA, and it feels like many opportunities for big laughs concerning this ramshackle professionalism in the face of bureaucracy were missed as the whole thing comes to a somewhat unpleasantly romantic conclusion.

Having said all that, I don't think it's a bad film. It's well shot (I especially appreciated the number of shots the titular dish received, the size and beauty of the machinery is the visual highlight of the film) and well acted, and I laughed quite a few times. I'm sure I missed some of the humour in the script owing to my not being familiar with Australian comedy, but I felt that it was fairly functional in that regard nonetheless. Overall I'd say it's an okay film.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:04:31 AM by Crudblud »

« Reply #695 on: September 10, 2014, 09:05:40 AM »
I'm not sure what Australian comedy is. Drop bear jokes?

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 10, 2014, 10:17:29 AM »
I'm not sure what Australian comedy is. Drop bear jokes?
By Australian comedy I mean humour specific to Australian culture, which I really don't know much of anything about.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #697 on: September 10, 2014, 03:10:56 PM »
Australian comedy mainly consists of saying "Oi!" and jokes about kangaroos.

« Reply #698 on: September 10, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »
We need an expert Australian to tell us.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 11, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »
Just finished watching Spike Jonze's Her. I'd been wanting to see this ever since the first previews came out (partly because Arcade Fire did the score) and have avoided pretty much everything about it since.

Now that it's over, I'm not really sure what I think. The film's cinematography was gorgeous (most of the time) to a crazy extent. The acting was amazing, and Joaquin in particular was just wonderful as all hell. I often found myself stepping outside of the film for a moment, so to speak, just to admire how good he was at portraying his character and just how sincere he seemed. Scarlett Johansson was very good as Samantha, but to be honest I wasn't as enthralled with her performance as a lot of people seem to have been.

As for the story itself, I'd say the first hour or so I really really loved, but from there on I don't think it was as interesting. The premise is great—man falls in love with an intelligent OS—and it holds up very well for a while, but towards the end it feels like it sort of decays into a more traditional love story and I just kinda found myself being less enraptured by what's happening and becoming less emotionally invested. When I of all people am not crying at very sad parts, something's wrong. While the specifics of their relationship and troubles were fascinating and for all intensive porpoises should have made it feel like more than any other romantic film, it really didn't in that last 30-45 minutes. Everything felt, more or less, relatable to more usual problems and while that's great for analogizing the relationship to any other human relationship, it also meant that it felt overly familiar and less interesting and exciting.

Of course, this is just me and clearly most people disagree with me, but yeah, I don't know if I loved it or just thought it was good. But it was definitely gorgeous to look at and hear, and featured probably the only sex scene I've found kind of beautiful, so that's definitely an achievement. :P
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.