A question for all round earthers
« on: January 14, 2016, 10:49:09 PM »
I have a question for all round earthers who are so certain that I must be crazy.  If, for a minute, we could forget all about NASA and the school teachers we had indoctrinating us from the age of 5.  I mean forget about them for a minute, just try and block out that part of your minds.  Forget them and the media channels just while you're reading this.  Lets pretend that you've just woken up from a coma and have absolutely no idea where you are or what's happening.  You wake from a coma and are gradually nursed back to health by someone who happens to believe in flat earth.  So while you relearn most things about the world and life and what you do and do not have to do, the one thing you are taught differently is that the earth is flat and stationary.  Would you disbelieve it?  I reckon you wouldn't?  Would it be so hard to believe?  I don't think so.  Now imagine that after 10 or so years, someone tells you the earth is a ball!  Some people are walking around on the 'underside' of it, it's actually spinning at 1,000mph around it's own centre and hurtling through space at 60,000mph!  O, and that sun you see move above your head everyday is actually perfectly still and 93,000,000 miles away. 

Come on people, when you look at it like that, what one really sounds like the fairy tale?  Can you honestly put your hand on your heart, look yourself in the mirror and swear on a bible that the globe earth sounds more feasible?  Honestly?  And remember, you need to try and forget NASA and school books for this one.

When it comes down to it, all that anyone knows is what they are taught.  Unless we take 10 minutes to lie down and actually question what we're told.  I remember all my teachers taking an instant dislike to being questioned, and my sons teachers now seem to be the same.  I don't pretend to KNOW anything, but I know what I believe, I have a strong grasp on my perceptions and I trust my own senses over anything the ITV News can show me.

I know its hard to admit that you may have been fooled, but I think we have.  I was a round earther up to a few months ago.  I would have laughed at the suggestion of a flat earth.  But after looking at the arguments and 'evidence' from both sides, I can honestly say that I believe I was told one huge stinking lie about our world.

Re: A question for all round earthers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 01:01:58 AM »
I have a question for all round earthers who are so certain that I must be crazy.  If, for a minute, we could forget all about NASA and the school teachers we had indoctrinating us from the age of 5.  I mean forget about them for a minute, just try and block out that part of your minds.  Forget them and the media channels just while you're reading this.  Lets pretend that you've just woken up from a coma and have absolutely no idea where you are or what's happening.  You wake from a coma and are gradually nursed back to health by someone who happens to believe in flat earth.  So while you relearn most things about the world and life and what you do and do not have to do, the one thing you are taught differently is that the earth is flat and stationary.  Would you disbelieve it?  I reckon you wouldn't?  Would it be so hard to believe?  I don't think so.  Now imagine that after 10 or so years, someone tells you the earth is a ball!  Some people are walking around on the 'underside' of it, it's actually spinning at 1,000mph around it's own centre and hurtling through space at 60,000mph!  O, and that sun you see move above your head everyday is actually perfectly still and 93,000,000 miles away. 

Come on people, when you look at it like that, what one really sounds like the fairy tale?  Can you honestly put your hand on your heart, look yourself in the mirror and swear on a bible that the globe earth sounds more feasible?  Honestly?  And remember, you need to try and forget NASA and school books for this one.

When it comes down to it, all that anyone knows is what they are taught.  Unless we take 10 minutes to lie down and actually question what we're told.  I remember all my teachers taking an instant dislike to being questioned, and my sons teachers now seem to be the same.  I don't pretend to KNOW anything, but I know what I believe, I have a strong grasp on my perceptions and I trust my own senses over anything the ITV News can show me.

I know its hard to admit that you may have been fooled, but I think we have.  I was a round earther up to a few months ago.  I would have laughed at the suggestion of a flat earth.  But after looking at the arguments and 'evidence' from both sides, I can honestly say that I believe I was told one huge stinking lie about our world.
You forget that believing FET requires a belief in a essentially global conspiracy, including everyone who has ever been into space lying, everyone who claims to have circumvented the globe in the sense we believe to have lied, and basically just dismiss everyone that has taught us anything as lying or lied to.

Offline UnionsOfSolarSystemPlanet

• The Moon orbits spherical Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 03:52:18 AM »
It depends on my new personality, but i first believe the Earth is round by the Sun and Moon.
The shadow on the Moon have curve, hence it's spherical and it couldn't hurt to think the Sun was round too,
and if the Sun and Moon were round, why wouldn't the Earth be?
The size of the Solar system if the Moon were only 1 pixel:
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 04:30:38 AM »
You forget that believing FET requires a belief in a essentially global conspiracy, including everyone who has ever been into space lying
Just wrong.

everyone who claims to have circumvented the globe in the sense we believe to have lied,

Also wrong.  In fact if you understand the concept of cirumnavigation you see that we believe it is possible in exactly the same sense you do.

and basically just dismiss everyone that has taught us anything as lying or lied to.

A hat trick of wrongness.  Most of us don't assume most of the people who taught you that the Earth is round are lying, rather they are misguided and incorrect.

It depends on my new personality, but i first believe the Earth is round by the Sun and Moon.
The shadow on the Moon have curve, hence it's spherical and it couldn't hurt to think the Sun was round too,
and if the Sun and Moon were round, why wouldn't the Earth be?

I am a living thing that can talk.  I guess it couldn't hurt to think that my cat can talk too, and if I can talk and my cat can talk, why can't my dog too?

*sigh*  I guess it's just a mistake anymore to expect that I might find someone who believes in a RE to attempt to refute our theory with anything but empty rhetoric, blatant misrepresentation, and/or a lack of overall comprehension.

Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 05:25:32 AM »
I joined because I have a question for the sheer sake of curiosity. I'm curious what FET has to say in the face of astronomy.

I'm an amateur astronomer. I have a fairly decent sized telescope and I've used it often for viewing stars, planets, and our own sun. I have personally documented specific stars, I've noticed how they remain mostly constant in the sky from night to night, only offset by a small margin. If I can actually observe that stars stay in the same spot in the sky, then how does FET explain why they move across the sky through the night? The logical explanation, of course, being that the Earth rotates on it's axis, causing the stars to appear to move. It explains everything perfectly. If the Earth were flat and didn't rotate on it's axis, would the stars not sit in the same direction through the entire night? The Earth, being flat, would merely be spinning and the stars overhead wouldn't move. What causes them to move? And if their movement is explained by the Earth's movement through space, why are they in the same position at the same time the next night?

Second, I have visually observed that the Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are spheres. I have taken long nights observing them and have seen them visibly rotating, watching as features move across their surfaces and disappear at the edge. (especially with sunspots on the sun) I have seen that they are round and that cannot be disputed. So, if the Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are all round and I can safely assume that Mercury, Venus, Neptune, and Uranus are also all round... Then why is he Earth flat? Why is our planet the only exception in our solar system? What was so radically different with the Earth's creation that our planet became flat instead of spherical like the other planets I've directly observed?

Third, I've used an H-Alpha filter with my telescope, and I've observed the sun throwing energy off it it's sides. This, in relation to watch sunspots disappear over the edge of the sun, proves that it is, indeed, round. Now, as I've observed filaments blasting off the side of the sun, I can say without a doubt that it radiates it's energy (and heat and light) across it's entire surface, both the visible surface we see and the back of the sun we do not see. This means that, with a flat Earth, the entire planet would have to be bathed in sunlight at the same time. As I can clearly see the sun doesn't act like a "spotlight" and that it radiates light everywhere at the same time. Since I've removed the "spotlight idea" from the equation, who can explain why we have timezones since it's certain that a flat Earth would be lit all at once?

-edit-

Oh lawdy. I just read over some of the stuff in your wiki in regards to the universe at large.

http://wiki.tfes.org/The_Cosmos

You guys actually believe the sun is 3000 miles away and that stars and planets are small? And that the Earth isn't a planet? That's kind of insane.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:39:47 AM by jkotlowski »

Offline Catnip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 07:01:04 AM »
*cracks my brain knuckles*

Alrighty, flat Earthers. I have a challenge for you. If you don't take my challenge, go home. Start where you're at, and move east. Keep moving east until you arrive at your starting point. Then explain to me why you were able to do that if the earth is flat. Quantum portal bordering the edges of the earth? A magic force, looping you to the other side? This is legit, I'm not flaming you guys, just challenging you. If you can explain this to me and back it up scientifically, I'll become a flat Earther.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 07:50:05 AM »

Alrighty, flat Earthers. I have a challenge for you. If you don't take my challenge, go home. Start where you're at, and move east. Keep moving east until you arrive at your starting point. Then explain to me why you were able to do that if the earth is flat. Quantum portal bordering the edges of the earth? A magic force, looping you to the other side? This is legit, I'm not flaming you guys, just challenging you. If you can explain this to me and back it up scientifically, I'll become a flat Earther.

In the conventional model, you are tracing a concentric circle around the north pole.  It's really not a difficult concept to understand.  Let's imagine a round Earth for a moment for illustrative purposes.  You are standing exactly thirty feet from the north pole.  You travel due east until you get back to your starting point.  Did you travel in a straight line, or in a circle?
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Catnip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 08:34:25 AM »
In the conventional model, you are tracing a concentric circle around the north pole.  It's really not a difficult concept to understand.  Let's imagine a round Earth for a moment for illustrative purposes.  You are standing exactly thirty feet from the north pole.  You travel due east until you get back to your starting point.  Did you travel in a straight line, or in a circle?
I don't think I asked about circumnavigating a round earth. :O I asked you to tell me whether moving east on a flat earth will bring you to the other side, or the edge. Gee, are we circumnavigating the challenge I proposed?

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »

It's pretty difficult to travel east standing at the north pole, even 30 feet from it.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »
I don't think I asked about circumnavigating a round earth. :O I asked you to tell me whether moving east on a flat earth will bring you to the other side, or the edge. Gee, are we circumnavigating the challenge I proposed?

I'm sorry, I assumed that since you asked a question about our model, you were familiar with our map.  In the conventional model, the north pole is in the center and the south is around the edge.  So going due east, you are traveling in a circle, which is exactly what you are doing on a round Earth.  Again, it's not a difficult concept to grasp, but it does require making at least a miniscule effort to understand the model.  Please read our FAQ and check out our wiki, and if you have any questions that aren't answered there, feel free to ask.

It's pretty difficult to travel east standing at the north pole, even 30 feet from it.

Why?  Obviously you can't travel east at the north pole, but it's certainly possible to travel east from any point outside of it.  Even if it's just thirty feet.  You can trace a circle going east from the north pole with a radius of 6 inches.  Again, not a difficult concept to grasp.

Christer Fuglesang

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 05:41:05 PM »

I think this is a very simple and relevant question for the Flat Earthers. What would happen if, using a gyroscope, you travel in one straight direction?

Offline Catnip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
I'm sorry, I assumed that since you asked a question about our model, you were familiar with our map.  In the conventional model, the north pole is in the center and the south is around the edge.  So going due east, you are traveling in a circle, which is exactly what you are doing on a round Earth.  Again, it's not a difficult concept to grasp, but it does require making at least a miniscule effort to understand the model.  Please read our FAQ and check out our wiki, and if you have any questions that aren't answered there, feel free to ask.
I didn't ask to be directed to your wiki. I believe I asked for your first hand proof~ I mean, if you're too scared to go to the edge of the earth in the name of science, I won't waste my time or yours asking anymore questions. ;3

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 08:50:38 PM »
I believe I asked for your first hand proof~
You actually did not ask that.

I mean, if you're too scared to go to the edge of the earth in the name of science, I won't waste my time or yours asking anymore questions. ;3
What does this even mean? "Too scared" to do some unrealistic task suggested by some random Internet person who lacks a grasp of very simple concepts? Are you five years old?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 09:11:08 PM »
I didn't ask to be directed to your wiki. I believe I asked for your first hand proof~ I mean, if you're too scared to go to the edge of the earth in the name of science, I won't waste my time or yours asking anymore questions. ;3

I answered your question. I can't help it if you can't understand it.  I really don't care what you think about it either because you're obviously not too bright.  If you're truly interested in answers to basic questions like the one you asked I have told you where to go. Have a nice day.  :)

Offline Catnip

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 10:49:53 PM »
I answered your question. I can't help it if you can't understand it.  I really don't care what you think about it either because you're obviously not too bright.  If you're truly interested in answers to basic questions like the one you asked I have told you where to go. Have a nice day.  :)
So you're going to say I'm not too bright just because I prodded you for proof? Golly, maybe you don't actually believe in flat earth because you don't intend to back it up. You're just avoiding me and dancing around the argument because you really are afraid to be wrong. I'm not afraid to be wrong. I'm just here to see if you'll do anything to support your beliefs, but I see you won't. You rely on your wiki, which is just an attempt to divert anyone who disagrees with you so you won't have to face them head on. If you won't face me head on, how can you expect to convince anyone else? If I believed the earth was flat, I would put my money where my keyboard is. I would make myself a pioneer, be glad to prove it to others by finding that edge and claiming it in my name. I would be as rich as Bill Gates because I made that discovery. But I don't believe in a flat earth, because there is photographic evidence proving otherwise. So if you expect anyone to believe you, pack your bags, make that flag pole with your name on it, and get ready to set sail partner.

Offline Catnip

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 10:59:46 PM »
I believe I asked for your first hand proof~
You actually did not ask that.
Actually, I did~ I proposed a challenge.

I mean, if you're too scared to go to the edge of the earth in the name of science, I won't waste my time or yours asking anymore questions. ;3
What does this even mean? "Too scared" to do some unrealistic task suggested by some random Internet person who lacks a grasp of very simple concepts? Are you five years old?
Unrealistic? If the earth is flat, there should be an edge. It wouldn't be unrealistic at all. Hard maybe, but not unrealistic. You mad?

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 03:19:56 AM »
too many users without avatars

I have a question for all round earthers who are so certain that I must be crazy.

fwiw i don't think it's crazy, only incorrect. 

If, for a minute, we could forget all about NASA and the school teachers we had indoctrinating us from the age of 5.  I mean forget about them for a minute, just try and block out that part of your minds.  Forget them and the media channels just while you're reading this.  Lets pretend that you've just woken up from a coma and have absolutely no idea where you are or what's happening.  You wake from a coma and are gradually nursed back to health by someone who happens to believe in flat earth.  So while you relearn most things about the world and life and what you do and do not have to do, the one thing you are taught differently is that the earth is flat and stationary.  Would you disbelieve it?  I reckon you wouldn't?  Would it be so hard to believe?

i wouldn't be likely to believe it if only the person who nursed me back to heath told me so, but i take the spirit of your question to be more along the lines of "what if everyone told you the earth was flat?"  i'm sure i would be inclined to believe the popular narrative that the earth was flat in that case.  i doubt it would enter my mind to question it (at least in the short term).

Now imagine that after 10 or so years, someone tells you the earth is a ball!  Some people are walking around on the 'underside' of it, it's actually spinning at 1,000mph around it's own centre and hurtling through space at 60,000mph!  O, and that sun you see move above your head everyday is actually perfectly still and 93,000,000 miles away.  Come on people, when you look at it like that, what one really sounds like the fairy tale?  Can you honestly put your hand on your heart, look yourself in the mirror and swear on a bible that the globe earth sounds more feasible?  Honestly?  And remember, you need to try and forget NASA and school books for this one.

even presuming that, after my coma, i never reacquired my interest in/very paltry knowledge of science, the numbers you mention genuinely wouldn't dissuade me.  my interest in science is already pretty heavily fueled by "woooooaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh."  not to say that i wouldn't resist the globe earth theory in this hypothetical, but it wouldn't be for the those reasons.

if in that state i came across the Round Earth Society Forum (lolololololol what a bunch of dummies get a job losers), then i'm sure i would be as skeptical of them as i was of fet when i first discovered it.  however, i genuinely believe that, if presented with all of the same evidence (except nasa, as per your rule), hypothetical-coma gary would come to the same conclusions as perfectly-healthy-irl gary.  but, of course, i can't substantiate that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:26:03 AM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 08:12:42 AM »
Lets pretend that you've just woken up from a coma and have absolutely no idea where you are or what's happening.  You wake from a coma and are gradually nursed back to health by someone who happens to believe in flat earth.  So while you relearn most things about the world and life and what you do and do not have to do, the one thing you are taught differently is that the earth is flat and stationary.  Would you disbelieve it?

Why pretend?

If you want that kind of blind indoctrination go live in North Korea.

sceptimatic

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 12:32:16 AM »

This is a very good post and turns the whole global indoctrination on its head.
In the scenario you put, there's no way in hell a person would believe in a globe that was spinning in space and people walking about all over it.
It just goes to show how strong mainstream indoctrination really is and how peer pressure and ridicule stops people daring to think for themselves.
Those who do, soon come to the conclusion that the reality is far different, just by using the basic senses.

sceptimatic

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 12:39:17 AM »

You forget that believing FET requires a belief in a essentially global conspiracy, including everyone who has ever been into space lying, everyone who claims to have circumvented the globe in the sense we believe to have lied, and basically just dismiss everyone that has taught us anything as lying or lied to.
Compartmentalising is the key to why most people do not have to be in on anything. They simply do what they are paid to do and not to ask questions.
Basically do as you're told and do not question authority.
Think of the armed forces. millions of soldiers in different regiments and all are assigned different tasks but one task they all adhere to in the extreme main is not giving out any more info than is required by their superiors.

Name rank and number.