Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Snupes is building a computer
« on: September 27, 2017, 02:02:10 AM »
I haven't 110% decided on the parts, I just have a list so I can have an estimated cost while I figure things out, but it's happening. I ordered the processor and it just arrived today so I can't back out now. Can't wait to see how I fuck this up.

Processor: Intel i7-7700k

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING LGA1151

Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)

SSD: Samsung 960 EVO Series 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ Gold 650W

Optical Drive: LG Internal UH12NS30 BD-ROM Blu-ray Drive

Sound Card: Creative Labs 30SB150200000 SB1502VP Sound Blaster Z

Wireless Adapter: ASUS PCE-AC88

Like I said, still a few things I need to figure out (like what case to use, ideally something subdued and simple) and all of these are potentially subject to change. But they're each right in the range I want. Next paycheck I'm buying the motherboard.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Snupes is building a computer
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 04:07:50 AM »
Seems fine to me, but I question the need for such an expensive CPU cooler and a soundcard when your motherboard has a dedicated audio chipset.

Liquid CPU coolers use more fans, which really just equates to more noise, combined with the already very low power consumption of the 7700k. Personally, I wouldn't shell out money for it, especially since their failure rate is higher (and they're harder to fix/replace). As far as the sound card goes, I'll admit I know pretty much nothing about sound processing, but from what I've gleamed, sound cards really don't make a difference anymore since most motherboards (such as yours) come with onboard audio chipsets.

Also, the motherboard you're buying has onboard wifi, you definitely don't need a wifi adapter.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:18:31 AM by Rushy »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 04:20:48 AM »
Like I said in IRC, I haven't done much research into these parts yet. Many of these are just mid-to-high priced ones I selected for now so I could have a price estimate that errs higher so I know roughly what I'm going to be paying. I'll chop off the wifi adapter and look into the sound card and cooler. That cooler was one of the ones rated as quieter, which is the main reason I threw that in for now, but yeah I'll probably axe that too then.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 04:38:54 AM »
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

This cooler is extremely quiet and much cheaper. Just keep in mind that it is very big. Probably wouldn't fit in any case smaller than a midtower.