Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
Official Sports Thread
« on: December 04, 2013, 03:37:53 AM »
I figured many users like to post about sports, so why not a thread where you can just chat about sports, your favorite teams, games you're watching, and so on.

Well, I will start. My official prediction is that both the Bruins and the Patriots go all the way this year, right behind the beloved Red Sox.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
Re: Official Sports Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 03:46:01 AM »
I <3 Sidney Crosby. Pens win in overtime. Sid got two, including the gamewinner.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 03:48:05 AM »
My official prediction is that both the Bruins and the Patriots go all the way this year

No.  And no.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 03:52:49 AM »
And I'm not just saying that, both are serious contenders.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 04:05:57 AM »
And I'm not just saying that, both are serious contenders.

lolno

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 04:47:25 AM »
Buckeyes are going to get stomped. 

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 04:50:21 AM »
Buckeyes are going to get stomped.

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:56:45 AM »
I hope that they win, I really do.  I'm a Big 10 fan.  Florida St is just a seemingly unstoppable beast at the moment.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 05:00:31 AM »
I hope that they win, I really do.  I'm a Big 10 fan.  Florida St is just a seemingly unstoppable beast at the moment.

The same thing they said when Miami played OSU back in 2002 and OSU was a 2 TD underdog.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 05:07:26 AM »
Fair enough, but they still need to put up a better performance against Michigan St than they did Michigan.  Granted Michigan St has a terrible offense.  When you can't score 50 points against Nebraska when they hand you the ball on their side of the field every other possession, there is something wrong with your offense.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 05:29:07 AM »
Their defense has been playing to the level of the competition.  I think they are going to handle MSU by 10+ points.  MSU defense hasn't dealt with a RB like Hyde, he is a monster.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 05:39:15 AM »
Yeah, OSU really is pretty out of place in the Big 10.  There hasn't been a whole lot of quality out of it for a while.  So long as their defense steps up their game a little bit, I think they can hold MSU to 2 TDs and maybe a field goal.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 06:57:53 AM »
I dunno, the Buckeyes don't have a whole lot going for them. Their QB is unproven, their wide receivers are average at best, and they really have no concept of a decent running game. Meanwhile, MSU more or less has all their bases covered (with the exception of several of their defensive backs).
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
MSU's offense is extremely lacking.  Their game against Nebraska should have been a blow out with how many times Nebraska just handed them the ball at the 40 or better.  I don't think they have what it takes to compete with OSU.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 04:27:30 PM »
I dunno, the Buckeyes don't have a whole lot going for them. Their QB is unproven, their wide receivers are average at best, and they really have no concept of a decent running game. Meanwhile, MSU more or less has all their bases covered (with the exception of several of their defensive backs).

>:(

Braxton has a good arm and can run.  His only problem is reading the secondary on occasion.  Carlos Hyde has almost 1300 yds in only 9 games (he was suspended the first 3) so I'd say their running game is just fine.  Receivers aren't great and defensive can be a worry depending on which version shows up.

I still think they handle MSU and end up in the NCG unless Auburn wins and the BCS decides it wants its SEC team in the game instead.

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »
The BCS is heavily SEC biased.  I doubt they would repeat the mistake of leapfrogging an undefeated team with a one lose team.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
The BCS is heavily SEC biased.  I doubt they would repeat the mistake of leapfrogging an undefeated team with a one lose team.

I wouldn't put it past them.  Back in 2006, when OSU/Michigan played a thriller in the final week and were #1 and #2 respectively, there couldn't be a rematch because there was an unwritten rule that a team had to at least win its conference to play in the NCG.  But fast forward 5 years, Alabama doesn't even win its division, much less its conference, and still gets in.

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 04:41:26 PM »
I thought the 06 game was more due to a ratings grab and the fact that people had just watched that same game.  There is talk that Bama could still go if Auburn and OSU lose, instead of Missouri going.
That being said, I think they have had enough backlash over those effed up championship game selections that they don't want to make themselves look terrible with selections on the verge of a shift to a playoff.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 04:44:04 PM »
ESPN starts their gazillion dollar SEC contract next year and they have a lot of influence.  At this point, nothing would surprise me. 

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 04:54:49 PM »
But Junker, both are top teams in their respective leauges and have proven themselves in beating teams with good records. I'd be surprised it either team did not make it to the finals/super bowl.